Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that really allowed. What's the point of this governmental regulating agency if one can choose to ignore it? If it's just a standard to be ignored, we'll then it's not a standard. Following that line of thought, anyone can make up there own overachieving/underachieving standard ... ridiculous.
They use a lower number though, not higher. If someone wants to undersell, that's their prerogative, just like a software limited pack would be.

It isn't helpful if you are trying to use the EPA rated range to compare vehicles to see if they will meet your needs.
Sure. But isn't this thread based on the premise that using EPA rated range to judge if a car meets your needs doesn't work in the first place?

Range due to efficiency yeilds a completely different experience than range due to large pack size.

No, the only range you can advertise in the US is the EPA approved one you get following the rules. But the rules do allow the manufacturer some leeway in getting/reporting a lower range figure.
This statement started me on this was this line of questioning:
My Model S rated 405 gets about the same range as my Porsche Taycan 4S rated at 199. It’s a bit under 340.
I don't believe it's true, that Taycan advertises a rated range of 199 where one user can get 58% more! So I think the OP of that post is not using real numbers..

I don't believe it's true, that Taycan advertises a rated range of 199 where one user can get 58% more! So I think the OP of that post is not using real numbers..
That seems to agree with the test results Edmonds achieved for the 2020 Taycan: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

1707145276756.png

But not for the 2022 Taycans. So you can't even use the EPA range to compare vehicles from the same manufacturer.

Of course the Edmonds test isn't following the EPA procedures, it is more real-life.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That seems to agree with the test results Edmonds achieved for the 2020 Taycan: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

View attachment 1015540

But not for the 2022 Taycans. So you can't even use the EPA range to compare vehicles from the same manufacturer.

Of course the Edmonds test isn't following the EPA procedures, it is more real-life.
So many numbers.

Wikipedia defines specsmanship:

Specsmanship is the use of specifications or measurement results to suggest or establish putative superiority of one entity over, especially when it is inappropriate. It is commonly found in advertising of high fidelity audio equipment, automobiles, digital cameras,[1] electronic display devices,[2][3][4] and other merchandise.

I'm using real numbers. According to Edmund's it was 203, but I'm pretty sure when I got the car it said 199, but I'll look for the sticker. The Taycan is tied for 21 in the Edmund's article at 323 miles of tested range.

I'm pretty sure Kyle O'Connor, Taycan fan, did his 70 MPH range test on it as well.

ETA: I see the Edmund's range test was added.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Porsche supposedly derates the economy and range numbers, because it assumes that Porsche drivers do not drive like EPA test drivers. This is probably a true assumption of its customers.
There could be more than that. EPA may require driving in certain 'driving modes' or averaging them, and Porsche has non-economy modes that give worse results than the 'Eco' that one would use while cruising on the highway. They don't need to compete on range or cost, so they don't, and they also assume, correctly, that most of their buyers are much more knowledgable about such details than an average car buyer.

Tesla numbers are not hard to match or beat as a normal commuter. But the forum demographic that drives 80+mph and put the pedals to the floor should not expect EPA numbers in any car.