Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding, only from reading here on the forum, is that there is also some delay in processing the ultrasonic sensors. If you were letting cars pass too fast, whatever that is, they may not have been solidly detected.

It was disappointing to see the article Elon linked on Twitter ( Tesla vs Texas: a 700-mile road trip in a new Model X ) say:

"To change lanes you simply indicate. The move over is smooth and faultlessly observed. If there’s a car gaining on you in the outside lane Autopilot will judge the closing speed and make a call with cool logic, as you would. If it decides to go, the Tesla steers out and up to speed smartly. As you would. Rival systems I’ve tried are wobbly gimmicks by comparison. Tesla’s begs your use whenever possible, the double-pull soon becoming instinctive."

Not sure what these guys were seeing, at least one earlier article said the same thing. Despite the fact that there's nothing but ultrasonics looking back to see that closing car. No wonder the "average" person thinks Autopilot can do everything.

Actually my experience changing lanes using autopilot is exactly as described. This thread has been about the poor blind spot detection of the Tesla when driving the vehicle manually.

It's been said time and again, the rear sensor system isnt good enough to do what they want to do. They need radar back there, not ultrasonics.

I expect the regulators will make them rename this capability like they are doing with the term autopilot. Or, Tesla will need to recall the cars to actually deliver something that has sensors capable of working.

It's been said time and again, the rear sensor system isnt good enough to do what they want to do. They need radar back there, not ultrasonics.
actually they need radar mounted where there side mirrors are for optimal blind spot detection as the blind spot is (mostly) at the side of the car. 2x radar on the rear fender corners might just have enough angle to catch the blind spot.

I think they had the parking sensors in the bumpers and some thoughtful engineers thought to stretch them to try to do blind spot detection. Brilliant attempt. The marketing folks started advertizing that feature to sell more cars. However brilliant, it is a dangerous claim to say those cars have blind spot detection.
^this. It's not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. Pushing the tech to the limit is smart, but for me the blind spot detection is entirely flawed, in terms of the sensors, and the presentation of the data. Maybe in the future, where there are no mirrors, the latter will make more sense, but for now it's useless to me.

^this. It's not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. Pushing the tech to the limit is smart, but for me the blind spot detection is entirely flawed, in terms of the sensors, and the presentation of the data.

Regulators in CA and Germany are making Tesla rename Autopilot so perhaps that will happen here too. I hope no one has to die before Tesla is forced by the regulators to take action.

Actually my experience changing lanes using autopilot is exactly as described. This thread has been about the poor blind spot detection of the Tesla when driving the vehicle manually.

I had a funny/scary moment when I tried to show off the lane change with autopilot. I saw a pickup coming up on my left and the passengers asked if autopilot will still switch lanes. I confidently told them that autopilot, even though it's just an assist, won't just switch lanes if there is a car next to you. I flip on the turn signal and the car started moving into the lane just as the pickup was almost next to me.

Needless to say I immediately jerked back, got flipped off by the pickup driver and felt pretty stupid after making that statement to the passengers in the car. :p Since then, I only rely on my own eyes to lane change, even if autopilot is on and switches lanes for me. lol

I had a funny/scary moment when I tried to show off the lane change with autopilot. I saw a pickup coming up on my left and the passengers asked if autopilot will still switch lanes. I confidently told them that autopilot, even though it's just an assist, won't just switch lanes if there is a car next to you. I flip on the turn signal and the car started moving into the lane just as the pickup was almost next to me.

Needless to say I immediately jerked back, got flipped off by the pickup driver and felt pretty stupid after making that statement to the passengers in the car. :p Since then, I only rely on my own eyes to lane change, even if autopilot is on and switches lanes for me. lol
Teslas have a demo curse on them: things that almost always work when it is just you will invariable fail -- and in a really embarrassing
way -- when demo'd to others. :(

No autopilot here, but I cannot even use the blind spot detection system. Frankly, the system doesn't make sense, as it directs your attention -down- away from where you should be looking. I'm very familiar with these systems, which are usually based on an indicator light in the side view mirror - right where the driver should be looking. As a motorcycle rider, I frequently see these systems blink on and off as I ride by, and get a feel for when they detect and when they do not. My Tesla has no where near the range, reliability, or attention-grabbing impact of any of the major systems out there. Even non-luxury brands such as Mazda.

Not only can we not rely on Tesla's implementation, as a rider I would caution all other Tesla drivers to ignore them completely and just look out the window.

That said, I absolutely love our new 60D - just understand the limitations of what it can and cannot do. No place for rose-tinted glasses when piloting a 5000 lb cage of steel at 70 mph on the highway. Especially next to more vulnerable road users!

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
actually they need radar mounted where there side mirrors are for optimal blind spot detection as the blind spot is (mostly) at the side of the car. 2x radar on the rear fender corners might just have enough angle to catch the blind spot.
I had wondered about that too, but it seems like if the placement on the rear bumper is just right you get coverage all the way up the side of the vehicle. Our other car has 5 radar units and the blind spot detection is better than anything I'd seen previously: cars reliably pop the indicator on the pillar, and the indicator turns off just as the vehicle pulls alongside. If you have trees and a sidewalk on either side of your driveway like we do, you just poke the back of the car out and it'll let you know if there are pedestrians or bikes on the sidewalk.

Tesla has a software know-how, they just need higher-quality hardware.

My previous Lexus ES300h blind spot monitoring worked perfectly. The operation of my September 2016 model S is almost useless for blind spot monitoring. It's a disappointment as I miss the confirmation of the visual observations.

Blind spot detection will be in permanent beta. Without better sensors, software cannot fill in the gaps.
We actually don't know that. Many cars have working blindspot monitoring with ultrasonic sensors. There's no reason to think Tesla couldn't as well.
Unless you're talking about the hardware to put a light in the mirror or A pillar, in which case we agree, that would need new hardware, and it's very difficult to do useful blind spot monitoring without it.