Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket blind spot warning / monitoring / detection for side mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of those people that would prefer blind spot warnings in the side mirrors that most other modern cars have.

Yes, I've already adjusted my mirrors as optimally as I can.

Has anyone out there tried something like this?

1684504418902.png

Unfortunately this doesn't connect with the Tesla system to integrate with the existing detection system, but looks like it would fit my needs.

Has anyone every tried a solution like this, either on a Tesla or any other car?

If you have version 11.1 software (current release - check Software tab on screen to check your version: 2023.12.5) click on the AUTOPILOT tab inside the car. Scroll down to AUTOMATIC BLIND SPOT CAMERA and enable the slider. It will light up in BLUE when enabled. Once enabled every time you turn on a directional signal the side mounted camera will display the entire rear side view of your car (right or left, synched to the direction of your turn) in real time. It works far better than a typical blind side alert. You have three choices of where to place the live view camera - 2 on the car icon part of the screen, one on the mapping section. It’s a simple grab and move action to relocate the live view.

You can also enable the rear view cameras by tapping the appropriate icon on the bottom of the main interior screen. It will show live view of both rear facing side cameras as well as the rear camera simultaneously.

Both features are standard and require no extra devices/fees.

If you have version 11.1 software (current release - check Software tab on screen to check your version: 2023.12.5) click on the AUTOPILOT tab inside the car. Scroll down to AUTOMATIC BLIND SPOT CAMERA and enable the slider. It will might up in BLUE when enabled. Once enabled every time you turn on a directional camera the side mounted cameras will display the entire rear side view of your car in real time. It works far better than a typical blind side alert. You have three choices of where to place the live view camera - 2 on the car icon part of the screen, one on the mapping section. It’s a simple grab and move action to relocate the live view.

You can also enable the rear view cameras by tapping the appropriate icon on the bottom of the main interior screen. It will show live view of both rear facing side cameras as well as the rear camera simultaneously.

Both features are standar and require no extra devices/fees.

All of the above is true, but it does not fit the desired use case this OP specifically said, which is:

I am one of those people that would prefer blind spot warnings in the side mirrors

I mean, the blind spot camera feed they implemented works, and is better than nothing (and I personally am not someone who liked the flashing in the side mirrors), but if someone is dead set on trying to have something in the side mirrors, Tesla doesnt have that.

I also wouldnt recommend anyone try to hack this or any other such type solution into their car unless they both have a lot of experience doing that type of thing, and are ready to remove it all if they ever have to take their car in for any electrical issue to tesla while its under warranty.

JJR is correct - the side mirrors won’t display the warning other cars provide. I just wanted to suggest a workaround that provided the same information, even if it’s in a different format. You can also activate the BLIND SPOT COLLISION WARNING CHIME in the same AUTOPILOT tab to provide an audio warning of a car in your blind spot when attempting a lane change. The combination of both features is my default setup, and it effectively provides a way of getting the information I want to make a safe lane change. Agreed, it may not work for everyone.

Another option is to replace the standard Tesla rear view mirror with a wider angle option. SUMA is one option, but I have no direct knowledge of their product. You can get more info here: Performance Side Mirrors

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks JJR, you said it. I want the specific solution of an indicator in the mirror.

Lencap, yes I'm have the blind spot cameras turned on for the main display and I am also aware of the wide angle after market mirrors, but I still want an indicator in the mirror.

Watts_up, I am also familiar with the stick on mirror solutions, but I want an indicator in the mirror.

The funny thing is, the other car that I drive is from a time before manufactures started putting indicators in the mirrors - and I have no issue with that uncomfortable blind spots and changing lanes with that vehicle. For some reason with the Tesla, even with the extra camera views, it still doesn't feel right.

Last summer I had a rental Infiniti Q50 while on vacation that had the indicators in the mirror. I never thought I would need want or need something like that, but it was awesome having that feature.

Part of the problem with the BSW being on the center screen is that my brain still does not trust that display 100%. I'm sure we've all experienced cars to the side of us or behind us jumping around on the center display. I've had it show vehicles as red in the right lane right up against me and jumping all over the place when they were nowhere near me. Also I tend to now do these steps when changing lanes in a Tesla: look in side mirror, look back at display for a warning and then look over my shoulder before changing lanes. It feels like excessive effort. Tesla support has said that my BSW functioning normally and they recommend always looking over your shoulder and not relying on it (which I do anyway).

When I drove that Infiniti, I never once second guessed the indicator - and I would see it as soon as I looked in the mirror before deciding to proceed a lane change. I'd still look over my shoulder out of habit, but would be comfortable changing lanes without that step if that indicator didn't show a car next to me.

I have blind side warnings on my wife's BMW and also had them on my Audi A4. While I appreciate the convenience of having them in my field of view when scanning my side mirrors, the simple fact is that sometimes they don't show developing situations, especially traffic moving from an outer lane to an adjacent lane.

You may find a simple wide angle "stick on" mirror (dozens available on Amazon) at least a useful add-on. I got used to the Tesla camera solution, and find it helpful. I also set up my mirrors to eliminate blind spots - a trick I learned when racing. I use the process on the attached video on every vehicle I drive - it's saved me a lot of grief over the years.

Here's the video: (time stamp 2:35 starts the optimal setup):

The funny thing is, the other car that I drive is from a time before manufactures started putting indicators in the mirrors - and I have no issue with that uncomfortable blind spots and changing lanes with that vehicle. For some reason with the Tesla, even with the extra camera views, it still doesn't feel right.
Older cars tended to have larger rear and rear side windows so that there is less obstructed view to the rear and rear side.

1991_volvo_240_wagon_161540612196f23bfe1991-Volvo-240-38.jpg

I have blind side warnings on my wife's BMW and also had them on my Audi A4. While I appreciate the convenience of having them in my field of view when scanning my side mirrors, the simple fact is that sometimes they don't show developing situations, especially traffic moving from an outer lane to an adjacent lane.

You may find a simple wide angle "stick on" mirror (dozens available on Amazon) at least a useful add-on. I got used to the Tesla camera solution, and find it helpful. I also set up my mirrors to eliminate blind spots - a trick I learned when racing. I use the process on the attached video on every vehicle I drive - it's saved me a lot of grief over the years.

Here's the video: (time stamp 2:35 starts the optimal setup):
I've seen this, and tried this, yet I still want the little yellow indicator :) For all the different mods people have done on Teslas, I'm surprised I haven't run into anyone that has done this. Maybe I'll need to be the first :)

While thinking about this thread, I remembered that the rear view camera has quite a wide field of view so I did a little testing.

On a planned course, I tried using the steering wheel button to bring up the rear view camera without the side repeaters just before an upcoming turn. I have to say that I like the full screen view better than the small blind spot view provided by the side cameras. With the rear view, I can see cars as they enter the blind spots and by the time the rear view camera loses sight of them, the front end of the cars are already alongside of my car where I can see them without turning my head.

I also like that at the same time, I can see all of the actions that cars to my rear are taking and do so on a larger screen with better detail.

Last week I had an incident when I started to initiate a lane change. Traveling about 50mph, I activated my left turn signal and the blind spot camera showed I was clear. As I started to cross over to the next lane, my car emitted a warning and Tesla collision avoidance pulled me back into my lane.(Thanks Tesla) A maniac, who was doing around 80mph, shot past my left side and just missed the front of my car. I watched him zig zagging between cars as he disappeared from my sight.

I believe that I would have seen his zig zagging antics well behind me if the rear view camera was activated instead of the blind spot camera which only gave me a view along the left side of my car.

I wish Tesla had an option to choose the small blind spot camera images as they are now, or an option to bring up only the large rear view camera image for both right and left turn signal activations.

Yes, I've already adjusted my mirrors as optimally as I can.
Have you? In all the rentals I've driven with that blinky-light warning system, with the mirrors properly adjusted, I can see the car in the mirror the blinky-light is warning me about, making it absolutely redundantly useless. Seriously, it's in the mirror before the blinky-light turns on.

If you can see your own car at all in your side mirrors, your mirrors are adjusted too far inwards.

--Carlos V.

Once enabled every time you turn on a directional signal the side mounted camera will display the entire rear side view of your car (right or left, synched to the direction of your turn) in real time.
I use this and I find it useful for situations when I'm merging onto a highway. The turn signal is redundant but at least it doesn't shock or scare anyone. Overall it seems silly or dangerous for changing lanes while I'm on the highway since it's only useful if I scare the bejesus out of someone by turning on my blinker when they're in my blind spot, making them think I'm about to merge into them.

I'm not trying to pick on you @lencap but the logic of this blind spot system eludes me. Can anyone explain why this is good or useful idea for highway driving? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I drive very defensively. Signally I'm going to merge when I'm not certain there's a space for me to merge into seems crazy.

Bit-Jam I appreciate your comment. Since Tesla doesn't offer this feature, I was trying to find an alternative for the OP who prefers a BSW visual alert as part of his external mirrors. As another poster noted adding a hardware solution to any Tesla may have unintended consequences in terms of interfering with Tesla's internal systems.

My primary approach to setting mirrors is outlined in the video above - I've found that it works in any type of car, provides a wide sweep of vehicles around the car, and serves me well. I also realize that it may not work for everyone, and then suggested alternatives like a wide angle driver's side rear view mirror. It isn't my intent to change the way people prefer to drive, but merely to suggest alternatives to the lack of a true BSW alert in Tesla's external rear view mirrors.

Many of the cars I own have a traditional BSW (Audi, BMW) and I agree that they are helpful, but some of them place the warning in a part of the mirror that can block part of the rear view vision. For me, not necessarily others, setting up the external mirrors to show a wide rear view is the better option, and incorporating available Tesla camera views is just another layer of choice.

My mirror preferences are also shaped from riding motorcycles for over 40 years. There is no center mirror, obviously, and adjusting rear view mirrors for a wide view has saved me from several potentially dangerous situations. Lane position on a motorcycle is another tool that helps, and can be adapted for cars. I avoid hugging the lane markings on blind winding roads, and move to the right of a lane while cresting hills. Again, it may not matter for many, but after several racing/driving classes I find the flexibility helpful. I also use the rear camera view of the Tesla center screen, showing the rear view and both rear facing side cameras.

I'm open to any other solutions that work for people, and agree that the goal is to provide a safe driving experience with accurate real time traffic information. However that works is fine with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
Bit-Jam I appreciate your comment. Since Tesla doesn't offer this feature, I was trying to find an alternative for the OP who prefers a BSW visual alert as part of his external mirrors. As another poster noted adding a hardware solution to any Tesla may have unintended consequences in terms of interfering with Tesla's internal systems.
You provided useful information. That information reminded me of a question I had about the feature you described so I asked it here.

I just added 2” convex mirrors to the side mirrors. Now I can see the blind spot easily without having to look over to the screen and back to the mirror before deciding to change lanes. This is particularly annoying to move to the left using only the Tesla supplied system.
Old school for sure but works great

Reactions: BitJam