Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never envisioned Tesla's autopilot being a system where I could just sit back and relax. I envisioned it as something I could use for short periods when I know the roads are sparsely populated and I need to use both of my hands for short periods rather than my knees to hold the wheel like I do now occasionally.

I've always envisioned it being ideal for removing a jacket while driving. That's a task that always drive me nuts.

It's also an important first step, a data collection step, in getting us to where we need to be eventually.

You can find videos of Mercedes system and it appears to be pretty dang nice. Still, I think folks probably have higher expectations overall relative to what will be achievable. I suspect we will see comments like "97% of the time it is great, but then it misbehaves 3% of the time making me not trust it entirely"...YMMV. I think sorka's comments above are right on the money.

I think it's pretty clear that Tesla is going after capabilities that rival Google's self driving car, not the see-saw scariness of the Volvo system. I think we should neither discount how far *that* system has gone, or how massively difficult it will be to implement it in a high performance sedan, rather than a custom built box. They're chasing the future, not a feature. It's going to take a while to get it right.

Yikes, I hope it's better then the Volvo's system. That seems more like a gimic then a useful feature. Being that close to the center line and bouncing off of them looks dangerous. Why did it turn off all of a sudden? It will only do it for a minute at a time or something?

The Mercedes systems seems to be a lot more capable that the Volvo system. You can see on the video it can handle some streets with no lane markings, it can navigate stop signs, and even marge onto a highway. On the video there is a close up of the front sensor array and it seems a lot more redundant and comprehensive than what we currently have in a Model S. Seems like the Mercedes system has multiple cameras in addition to rear and side radar.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Volvo is more like a bowling lane with the kids guards up.
Imagine following an SUV drifting from one side of the lane to another - terrifying just waiting for it to come careening out of the lane.
If Tesla cant do better than that with the current sensors then abort the project imho

Whilst Autopilot is on my options list, honestly I am a real sceptic about partial implementations of autopilot, either the car is in control or it isn't.
Clearly the technology implemented is not enough for the car to be in control in all circumstances.
Therefore the driver has to be in control, but really when the car takes so much away from the driver, their concentration will wander and accidents will ensue.
Followed by a rapid tightening of legislation.

- - - Updated - - -

The Mercedes systems seems to be a lot more capable that the Volvo system. You can see on the video it can handle some streets with no lane markings, it can navigate stop signs, and even marge onto a highway. On the video there is a close up of the front sensor array and it seems a lot more redundant and comprehensive than what we currently have in a Model S. Seems like the Mercedes system has multiple cameras in addition to rear and side radar.

True, it does.
It is also clearly a prototype

And has a great big emergency stop button on it. I wonder why?

Last edited:
I had a 2015 s550.

The technology is there, just the over-regulated nagging to put your hands on the wheel every 6 seconds before disengaging at 10 secs made it completely useless.

I feel so stupid now, I should've just done this

Mercedes S Class Active Lane Assist Hack - YouTube

Thanks for sharing, showing us that MB has done lane keeping since 2014 on a 2015 model S550. I am hoping that MS will outperform the S550 in lane keeping and that is why it is delayed.

Since you owned it before, can you tell us what type and quantity of sensors were on the S550? Was it based on Mobileye platform?

Thanks for sharing, showing us that MB has done lane keeping since 2014 on a 2015 model S550. I am hoping that MS will outperform the S550 in lane keeping and that is why it is delayed.

Since you owned it before, can you tell us what type and quantity of sensors were on the S550? Was it based on Mobileye platform?

There were two cameras looking forward and forward looking radar.

I also had the surround view package, but it was not required for this functionality.

I don't know if it was based on mobileye, really looking forward to it in my p85d.

That was an "easy" case where there's a wall on the side. When it's only the curb, it doesn't do the job (even with a wide open space). The video i watched was here:
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-self-parking-gone-wrong-video/
My experience with the i3 is it seems to align itself with the cars in front/behind (mostly in front). If they are close to the curb, the i3 will end up close to the curb. If they are far away, so will the i3. It will happily curb itself trying to match.

My experience with the i3 is it seems to align itself with the cars in front/behind (mostly in front). If they are close to the curb, the i3 will end up close to the curb. If they are far away, so will the i3. It will happily curb itself trying to match.
That seems somewhat plausible. The i3 does seem to like to curb itself a lot. And knowing BMW those wheels are probably not cheap to replace, which makes curb rash from self parking quite risky. Given how easy the car is to park manually (as mentioned in the video), I suspect most people won't be using the self parking feature very much.

The Model S is a bigger challenge. It's both wide and long, which is the worse case scenario for parallel parking.

Add me to the list of people who was fooled into upgrading to the P85D thinking Autopilot were to be rolled out over the course of a few months. We're at the 9th month mark since it's official announcement and the coveted feature still is still not available.

Isn't the reason for the delay with the DOT and issues like the 405 freeway's poor lane markings? I like a previous person's comment about just disabling Autopilot on those stretches of road. But honestly, do you really think Tesla doesn't want this feature rolled out to everyone ASAP? I see so much crying over spilt milk here. I love my car, even with partial rollout of AP features.