Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is for highway use so first link doesnt make sense. The second link is from 2010 and we already have "collision avoidance" enabled. If you getting at accidents happen, systems fail.. i suppose your onto something.

Edit: According to the comments on the first link, that model Volvo does not have pedestrian control.

I was only trying to make a point that Tesla is not all wrong in this case. If you want to use autopilot, then i want to be able to relax in the car. I don't know where all the bad roadmarkings are!

I was only trying to make a point that Tesla is not all wrong in this case. If you want to use autopilot, then i want to be able to relax in the car. I don't know where all the bad roadmarkings are!

Im not sure if I agree with you. Autopilot even with tesla doesn't mean the driver can relax and have a tea party while the car drives. At this point all it means is lane keep assist, lane change, and park automatically. And in all of those situations, you're still in charge.

And currently the lane warning is 99% good enough, I feel they should roll out what they have.

Im not sure if I agree with you. Autopilot even with tesla doesn't mean the driver can relax and have a tea party while the car drives. At this point all it means is lane keep assist, lane change, and park automatically. And in all of those situations, you're still in charge.

And currently the lane warning is 99% good enough, I feel they should roll out what they have.
+1. and I want the self-parking too, as advertised. :smile:

If BMW I3 can self park why can Tesla not?

Last edited:
Have any of you actually tried these technologies from other car makers? I tried the parallel park from Mercedes. It was awful. First, it parked worse than I could, and second, it took five attempts by the salesperson to get it work at all.

Until a car maker uses AI techniques (in particular, continuous learning) for autopilot, autodriving or what have you, it'll disappoint.

Have any of you actually tried these technologies from other car makers? I tried the parallel park from Mercedes. It was awful. First, it parked worse than I could, and second, it took five attempts by the salesperson to get it work at all.

Until a car maker uses AI techniques (in particular, continuous learning) for autopilot, autodriving or what have you, it'll disappoint.

The problem here is that Tesla is promising features in the future, so they can't be tested for their functionality/capability at the time of purchase. You can try the Mercedes parallel park at purchase time and write if off as not working well and make your decision based on your real experience. A future feature gets built up in everyones mind as having super powers far beyond reality.

I saw a video of the i3 auto parking too. It sucked so bad that the reviewer gave up trying to make it work.

My 2013 Ford Fusion parallel parked perfectly. My biggest problem was not trusting it enough--thinking it was cutting too close to the front car--and I'd touch the steering wheel and disengage it. The Ford had radar (emergency brake pre-charge and automatic cruise control), automatic high beams and lane assist, plus better blind spot assist, and backup cross traffic warning. That was about 2.5 years ago with lesser hardware.

No comparison in performance to the Tesla, of course. And the Mucrosoft Sync system is a joke, but its assist and self-parking were ahead of Tesla in most ways at the current software level.

And that is in part why I am confident that Tesla will come through with its Autopilot promises: other companies have done it. Tesla is trying to do it inhouse for the first time. Elon sets very ambitious and sometimes unrealistic timeframes but that is how things get done. I'm sure the Autopilot engineering teams are working almost 24/7 to make it happen.

And that is in part why I am confident that Tesla will come through with its Autopilot promises: other companies have done it. Tesla is trying to do it inhouse for the first time. Elon sets very ambitious and sometimes unrealistic timeframes but that is how things get done. I'm sure the Autopilot engineering teams are working almost 24/7 to make it happen.

I hope not actually. Tired people write bad software :(

Here is a video if a guy on one of the Volvo forums (we have an XC60) showing the lane keeping feature of the new XC90 (7 passenger SUV). While hardly perfect, I was reasonably impressed when I saw this. Honestly, given the variability in lane markings, I will be shocked if ANY of the systems do this really well.

I am also on the BMW i3 Facebook page (by far the best i3 resource on the net), and that car has adaptive cruise and self parking. Adaptive cruise is hit or miss on the car, but self-parking is a novelty as best I can tell...oh and "curb wheel rash" is a no charge plus in self parking as in this owner's shots:

I3 - PARK 1.jpg
I3 PARK 2.jpg
:

In short, be prepared to be disappointed in some of these features IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video if a guy on one of the Volvo forums (we have an XC60) showing the lane keeping feature of the new XC90 (7 passenger SUV). While hardly perfect, I was reasonably impressed when I saw this.

If this is the state of the art of lane keeping, I am pretty sure Tesla will beat it hands down (no pun intended). Bouncing from lane edge to lane edge is not what they're promising. Keeping it centered and shifting a wee bit when a car comes too close is what we should expect.

Here is a video if a guy on one of the Volvo forums (we have an XC60) showing the lane keeping feature of the new XC90 (7 passenger SUV). While hardly perfect, I was reasonably impressed when I saw this. Honestly, given the variability in lane markings, I will be shocked if ANY of the systems do this really well.

In short, be prepared to be disappointed in some of these features IMO...

Wow, looks quite dangerous to me, no way I'd trust a system like that. Did you see how little time it gave the driver before auto disengaging?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just about the same as my Infiniti. This is not really lane holding. This is lane departure prevention. The difference is one system will just keep you from leaving the lane and bounce you back and fourth like my Infiniti does. The other will actually keep you center in the lane at all times.

The former is not lane keeping. Even what Tesla demoed last year was way better than this although those had strong markers to follow.

That is actually the crux of the problem. 99% is not good enough. When lane warning buzzes at the wrong time, nobody gets hurt. If the car steers off the road or into another car, its going to be very bad -- for the driver, for the company, for everyone. Self-steering that causes even one fatal accident will be such a massive PR blow that it could literally take down the company. It really needs to be a seven sigma kind of thing. I'm also disappointed that it isn't ready, but I understand that they have to do whatever they have to do to ensure it works, every time.

I never envisioned Tesla's autopilot being a system where I could just sit back and relax. I envisioned it as something I could use for short periods when I know the roads are sparsely populated and I need to use both of my hands for short periods rather than my knees to hold the wheel like I do now occasionally. I also figure it *might* come in handy if I fall asleep even just for a second or two (a warning sign that I obviously need to get off the road and stop). Or if I have a heart attack or something. Having the car not careen out of control gives me a better chance of surviving such an event than without it.