Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon: When car is out of cell phone range, data will be stored and uploaded to server later.

But he side-stepped what I thought was the more interesting question, which is, how is the car going to have all the necessary data for a route if it's out of cell phone range? Does every car carry around all of the trouble spot and lane positioning data for the entire continent all the time?

Earlier I read in the media this: "The Autopilot software will be installed via a wireless update between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. Drivers must pay a one-time fee of $2,500 to use it."
Hope that was just an ill-informed journalist. I already paid my $2500 for the Tech Package during my initial order. Has anyone else heard we might need to pay a one-time fee to activate autopilot?
I mean, it's kind of accurate. You do have to pay a one-time fee. It's just that many (including yourself) have already paid it either when it was in the tech package or when it became separate.

Earlier I read in the media this: "The Autopilot software will be installed via a wireless update between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. Drivers must pay a one-time fee of $2,500 to use it."

Hope that was just an ill-informed journalist. I already paid my $2500 for the Tech Package during my initial order. Has anyone else heard we might need to pay a one-time fee to activate autopilot?

I think that is referring to the small set of people that received a car with sensors that didn't pay for the tech package. Those people know who they are. Anyone else can ignore this.

$2500 is only for people who did not pay for the "Autopilot Convenience features" package.

Even if you did not purchase the package, you'll still get the improved safety features, like the side impact warning.

Yes, ill-informed journalist. Fear not.

Also, "Hi!" re: first post.

Q: Other companies have had to post big bonds to cover liability for self-driving feature malfunctions. What about you?

Elon: Not aware of that. If the car has fewer problems in autopilot mode than in manual mode [as he apparently expects], there shouldn't be a penalty for that.

If the premise is true, his answer sounds uninformed and a bit naive TBH.

Elon: When car is out of cell phone range, data will be stored and uploaded to server later.

But he side-stepped what I thought was the more interesting question, which is, how is the car going to have all the necessary data for a route if it's out of cell phone range? Does every car carry around all of the trouble spot and lane positioning data for the entire continent all the time?

Seems like the cars could learn that pretty quickly too. "Data shows that Coiled's car is about to enter a dead zone where 10 other Model S have lost cellular coverage. Send all relevant Autopilot data before that happens."

Q: Other companies have had to post big bonds to cover liability for self-driving feature malfunctions. What about you?

Elon: Not aware of that. If the car has fewer problems in autopilot mode than in manual mode [as he apparently expects], there shouldn't be a penalty for that.

If the premise is true, his answer sounds uninformed and a bit naive TBH.

True self driving cars are a difference area of liability, since no person is supposed to be controlling them (some don't even have a wheel).

Seems like the cars could learn that pretty quickly too. "Data shows that Coiled's car is about to enter a dead zone where 10 other Model S have lost cellular coverage. Send all relevant Autopilot data before that happens."
Ah, that would be great, but how does it know what is "all relevant Autopilot data"? I don't necessarily have a route entered in nav, and I could go off course anyway. Also, it could be doing this now with caching maps, but I've noticed that it doesn't.

Ah, that would be great, but how does it know what is "all relevant Autopilot data"? I don't necessarily have a route entered in nav, and I could go off course anyway. Also, it could be doing this now with caching maps, but I've noticed that it doesn't.

No cell-coverage areas are limited areas, and in this day and age are fairly small. All you need is enough data to "bridge the gap" or "cover the donut hole" until cell coverage is back. Pretty simple, actually.

I'm not saying it does, but it'd be pretty easy to provide the necessary data for all routes within the zone, or within some arbitrary radius of the current location. No destination information required.

Elon: Current sensor suite is not sufficient for full autonomy. It can achieve at least a little more, but there are limits.

Elon: Drivers should notice improvements every week or every few weeks even without software updates due to improved fleet intelligence. Example, handing steering correctly around a specific freeway off-ramp.

Me: Clearly amassing a lot of statistics from responsible drivers is going to be critical, so once you get the update, get out there and drive! Can't wait to contribute.

I'm guessing the ridiculous upload speeds that the LTE in the Model S is capable of will contribute to the data collection. I clocked it at 80 megabit+. Wonder if LTE people will get the update first?

What I'm most excited about here is the crowdsourced learning. That is a key critical factor that will keep Tesla ahead. (Google recognizes this as well).

Jeez, it's not even out yet and Car and Driver already called it superior to the Merc S class's system, which I think most consider the benchmark? (I don't know).

I have a different idea of what they mean with the cell upload, it's more that it will notice there's something wrong in a specific spot, and see why, and once they figure it out, they fix the algorithm, not for that spot, but such that it handles all spots that are similar better. therefore it doesn't need cell coverage at that specific spot to do better in the future, it's the algorithm that's improved.