Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 12.x after New Maps Limited to 60 Mph Hw driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Anyone else notice after a new map install approx 2 weeks ago now, and in just 2 days AP Max Speed has been capped on their roadway? My question for the group here is: did something change in the last 2 days with AutoPilot on your roadway?

I was driving local Oregon State HW 20 to Newport, which may have had 1 or 2 sections in a span of 60 miles that limited speed. On Wednesday April 18, now the whole drive is capped to 60 MPH....
I drove the same route April 15th, and did not have restrictions on the whole drive.

I have another section of HW 20 between home and I5, approx 15 miles that I routinely drive... and it never had a speed restriction.
Drove the same route yesterday, and AP speed capped at 60 MPH.

I could understand if it was tied directly with the map update. But this restriction changed maybe a week or more after the new maps arrived.

Any others get burned by a AP speed restriction in your area?

-TechVP

I have the new maps and had mine set at 85mph this morning.
IMG_0521.jpg

It relates because the point is this is not a new problem but a recurring problem although new owners are seeing it for the first time (and it doesn’t need another thread either).

Speed restriction? What speed restriction?
AutoPilot speed restrictions
Speed restriction autosteer
Non-freeway AP speed restriction returns
I'll be honest, I didn't search, because I was under the impression that some of the threads linked in that one were "more recent." However, I wouldn't have found any of those posts if I had searched, because I would have limited my search to Model X and presumably only found one 2016 thread out of the eight threads I have now seen. Regardless, it is arguably a new issue if the OP has AP 2.x and it was only on AP 1.0 before. It is also arguably a new issue since it was subsequently reverted/fixed in an update last time, because we have no way of knowing whether it was intentional this time regardless of whether or not it was last time. Beyond that, we also have no way of knowing whether it is currently affecting multiple owners who have updated or is an issue specific to the OP's vehicle. In some forums, replying to any of the threads you just linked to would be considered necroposting and taboo. In fact, knowing this, I resisted the urge to reply to correct some off-topic misinformation in the Model 3 thread.

Reactions: dogldogl
Hi All,

Anyone else notice after a new map install approx 2 weeks ago now, and in just 2 days AP Max Speed has been capped on their roadway? My question for the group here is: did something change in the last 2 days with AutoPilot on your roadway?

I was driving local Oregon State HW 20 to Newport, which may have had 1 or 2 sections in a span of 60 miles that limited speed. On Wednesday April 18, now the whole drive is capped to 60 MPH....
I drove the same route April 15th, and did not have restrictions on the whole drive.

I have another section of HW 20 between home and I5, approx 15 miles that I routinely drive... and it never had a speed restriction.
Drove the same route yesterday, and AP speed capped at 60 MPH.

I could understand if it was tied directly with the map update. But this restriction changed maybe a week or more after the new maps arrived.

Any others get burned by a AP speed restriction in your area?

-TechVP
My experience is the opposite. My AP1 car after the update allows me to go more than 5 MPH above the speed limit on two lane roads where it was formerly limited to speed limit + 5 MPH. I drove most of US95 through Nevada last week. Most of it two lane road. AP didn't limit speed.

Yes, this is definitely an issue! I’m in a model S, but I am seeing the same issue. I updated a few weeks ago, but noticed that suddenly, a few days ago, I’m again getting speed limit restrictions that I haven’t seen in a long time. It’s been particularly annoying since they’re now occurring on the two roads that I drive most often. I’ve always set it to 10mph over the limit, but I’m suddenly being limited to 5 over. It’s very annoying. 5mph over means you’re almost always slower than the rest of traffic, which is not a safety feature.

Reactions: TechVP
I don't think this is related to your hardware version. Seems to be software / map update related.
It's not new that Tesla imposes speed limit restrictions and they've been discussed many times in the past. However, the number of locations where it's imposed seems to have increased substantially in the past week or two. And strangely, it did not happen immediately after any specific update. Immediately after both updating to .12 and getting the map update, it worked fine for a week or so, before reverting to this new behavior.
This is after they had seemingly scaled back some of the restrictions in the past. I drive the same way to work, on a long, straight, 2-lane country road, several times per week. I always use autopilot, but it wasn't until a week or two ago that it started restricting my speed to 5 mph over the limit. I'm now frequently being followed very closely by other cars, or getting passed.
It's particularly annoying when the car doesn't properly read the speed limit signs, or doesn't realize that the 20 mph speed limit it read was a school zone restriction (not currently in effect), and it makes me go 25 mph where the speed limit is 40+.