Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed the tags at the top off the thread pages on the iPhone app - in order - forkliftery, forklifts, Model 3, order logistics, waiting for model 3. Someone's been tainting the discussion 🤣
D57F870F-43DC-4D99-8D65-7159F5170B72.png

Must admit I've lost the will to keep checking now, feels like my RWD which I was originally expecting this month is never going to arrive :(

Meanwhile my mate who ordered on the same day and seems totally indifferent as to when he gets it will have his in a couple of weeks
Hang in there @ianhutch1 it’s a roller coaster of emotions waiting for the confirmation that your sweet sweet ride is on the way, then you’ll be one of the lucky ones checking on Clara, Crystal, Passama, or possibly Turnadot to match with your EDD. Hopefully I won’t be too far behind you 😊

As a general, about 60km's a day, so from what has been said here, UMC should be fine.. only may be problematic when we do the big weekend drives, though they are few and far between.. and we still have the ICE I suppose...
You’ll be charging from the UMC in ~6 hours which is fine. If you’re planning your long trips I think you’ll get away with it, and there’s always the supercharger network if required…

Reactions: Redrum
I just grabbed a 3 phase tail for the UMC and got a 3 phase plug installed. I can't see myself taking the UMC with me too often it will just stay in the shed unless on some long trip. Enough chargers around for day to day if needed without sitting somewhere at 10km/h charging.

Electrician said if I wanted a gen 3 down the track he can just chuck a 3 phase plug on it and plug it into the existing socket and mount on the wall next to it.

Charge HQ works with the UMC so solar only charging is fine without any massive expense of the Zappi.
If you don't mind me asking, what were you charged for the (I'm assuming) 5-pin 32a 3-phase socket? I'm getting quotes at the moment for a back-to-back install of around $850.

Bingo! The main benefit of the Tesla charger, aside from cost, is the ability to unlock the charging cable with the button.

Without it, you either have to get in the car and unlock it on the screen or fish out your phone, open the app and hit stop charging which can quickly get tedious..

Alternatively, you can get the key (car) fob, which unlocks the cable by pressing and holding the boot.

Another little bonus is the ability to open the charge port, though as others have said, you can do it by tapping the port..
I've anticipated I will become frustrated with this. The real question is how much... because my idea is to buy S3XYButtons and stick one on the the Zappi cord. An expensive addition :(

I've anticipated I will become frustrated with this. The real question is how much... because my idea is to buy S3XYButtons and stick one on the the Zappi cord. An expensive addition :(
If you get the Commander with your S3XYButtons there's a built in function where if you press the rear left door handle in for 4 seconds it opens up the charging flap. Then you can use the buttons for a more worthwhile function.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you charged for the (I'm assuming) 5-pin 32a 3-phase socket? I'm getting quotes at the moment for a back-to-back install of around $850.

Mine has been done by an electrician mate so I just paid for materials. Yep 5 pun plug but I only have single phase so wired for 7kw which is the max on single phase.
Materials for me were a whole whole lot less than $850 but my mate openly admits electricians are rip off merchants for what they do. Took him about 2 hours to get it all done.

Going by my experience I'd say that if you didn't need a board upgrade and was just wiring and a socket, I'd expect about $400 - $500. Socket was about $50 from middys and wire was about $100 -$150 I think. Circuit breaker was about $50 or less. Don't know of 3 phase is dearer.

I had recently installed 5-pin 32a on single phase and it cost me $560 incl supply and installation in SA.

the electrician also did some minor work fixing my exhaust at the same time.

Must admit I've lost the will to keep checking now, feels like my RWD which I was originally expecting this month is never going to arrive :(

Meanwhile my mate who ordered on the same day and seems totally indifferent as to when he gets it will have his in a couple of weeks
I feel the same as you my Order Date twin. It felt like it got so close.
But oh well, all I hope now is that another bulk allocation comes, and it doesn’t feel so patchy… 🤞🤞🤞

I think you're right. I think the function I mentioned also unlocks the charging cable utilising the same push to unlock gesture, maybe that's the difference? Otherwise I'm not sure why it gets highlighted in review videos.
Just looked at the doco for this... seems not so good for new cars...
For cars manufactured after March 2021 this feature is activated by a Long Pull instead of the Half Press described here and because of this the door is opened too.