Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is AGL EV plan which is also a rip off compared to their basic saver plan, but works out better for me with the EV charging and preconditioning in the morning. How good is preconditioning on these colder mornings!!

I’m generally at work during the day otherwise yeah maybe having free power would work if I worked from home, but I’d also be doing a lot less km not driving to work 🤷

IMG_0150.jpeg

@meloccom - a lot of posts in this thread about grid rateplans that might be suitable for EVs - not really a topic specific to Highland M3. Possibly should be moved to a new thread… “Best electricity plans for EVs / solar / battery” or similar? Although it would be a bit of work to unscramble the egg… just a suggestion.

@meloccom - a lot of posts in this thread about grid rateplans that might be suitable for EVs - not really a topic specific to Highland M3. Possibly should be moved to a new thread… “Best electricity plans for EVs / solar / battery” or similar? Although it would be a bit of work to unscramble the egg… just a Suggestion
Please keep on topic everyone, however I won’t be creating a new thread for 5 off topic posts since page 100.

Reactions: sammody and Jules22
Handy tip re car cleaning and dealing with bee/bird poop:

For those with/without a ceramic coating, my car had a couple of bee droppings (yellow spots) on it, which appeared to have stained the paint. They were on the car for less than 24 hours and the car only had 1-2 hours sun exposure (22 degree day), so I was confident I’d have no issues removing them this morning, especially with the car being coated.. I was wrong.

After seeing the marks that were left behind I was a bit panicked and feared the worst, however I found a video on YouTube where a bloke uses a hair dryer on some bird poo marks, causing the marks to completely disappear. I figured I had nothing to lose, and to my amazement the hair dryer completely removed the imperfections within a few minutes.

In my case I got to them fairly early, so I’m not sure how you’d go with droppings that have had more time to etch into the clear.

The video, featuring an uncoated Tesla -

IMG_5209.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

Reactions: Wagits and dronus
I reakon I got a small stone chip in my windscreen yesterday, it’s off to the left and really small but I’ll get it booked in for that windscreen repair thing I see on tv.

There was a rock stuck in my aftermarket air intake grille too so I’m glad that was there.

Hopefully no other chips, truck going down the expressway dropping rocks and pubes all over the road.

Not going to attempt it myself, even after watching this handy tutorial.

I reakon I got a small stone chip in my windscreen yesterday, it’s off to the left and really small but I’ll get it booked in for that windscreen repair thing I see on tv.

There was a rock stuck in my aftermarket air intake grille too so I’m glad that was there.

Hopefully no other chips, truck going down the expressway dropping rocks and pubes all over the road.

Not going to attempt it myself, even after watching this handy tutorial.

I've got one of those... might only be 1mm to 2mm in size. I don't know whether it's worth doing anything with it at this stage. I'm sure I'll get more and it would be easier to get them patched up all at once I would have thought.

Reactions: dronus
I've got one of those... might only be 1mm to 2mm in size. I don't know whether it's worth doing anything with it at this stage. I'm sure I'll get more and it would be easier to get them patched up all at once I would have thought.
Yeah I called my NL and they kept saying I get a free windscreen every year… I kept saying it’s only a chip, just checking if I can claim getting it fixed, doesn’t need replacing.. I can claim or pay for it and reimburse.
Called windscreen O’Brien.. you get some sales guy who wants to book you in and pay for it upfront ($190!). He was really persistent so I made up a story about not having my wallet on me, and I’d pay in store. Actually quite pressure sales, tried to upsell me windscreen wipers… it was obvious he was reading a script… because “a car your age will have worn wipers which might damage the new repair” haha I’m like it’s 3 months old mate…
Can always just approach somewhere direct, I might wait too, got a few trips coming up.

• Funny
Reactions: divstar and Tesl3on

Well I’ve been told that you should get even small chips resin repaired ASAP. Reason being that microscopic bits of dust and dirt will accumulate in cracks and crevices the longer you leave it, and that will affect the quality and longevity of the repair. Also if there is even a tiny crack feeding off the chip, it can easily grow to be a much bigger crack if the chip is not repaired quickly.

Reactions: divstar
Well I’ve been told that you should get even small chips resin repaired ASAP. Reason being that microscopic bits of dust and dirt will accumulate in cracks and crevices the longer you leave it, and that will affect the quality and longevity of the repair. Also if there is even a tiny crack feeding off the chip, it can easily grow to be a much bigger crack if the chip is not repaired quickly.

The thing I learnt today from talking to my NL about the chip was … I can get it repaired ($190) and claim that back on my NL for reimbursement (but I’m paying for it anyway)… or….. every year I can get a free windscreen under insurance… weird huh, I woulda thought they would encourage you to get chips repaired so they don’t turn into cracks too!
What a world we live in haha

Tried to charge today from Chargefox fast charger. It is fast. However, it is useless and ridiculously expensive if 100km daily commute to work with free slow chargers is the only thing you do. I paid almost eight dollars for 12kW of electrons after paying absolutely nothing for almost a month. 1746 km done.
That fast charger handle thing is quite heavy, by the way, my wife didn't like it.

Reactions: dronus
Tried to charge today from Chargefox fast charger. It is fast. However, it is useless and ridiculously expensive if 100km daily commute to work with free slow chargers is the only thing you do. I paid almost eight dollars for 12kW of electrons after paying absolutely nothing for almost a month. 1746 km done.
That fast charger handle thing is quite heavy, by the way, my wife didn't like it.
Yeah I’d only use them when travelling or if I’ve had a long day and need a full charge for the next day that my home charger wouldn’t catch up to.
12kw at home would be 96c on the over night plan.
Which charger did you try?

If you can find a Jolt charger on the way home you can get free 7kw per day.

They are either 25kw or 50kw speed so not the fastest but fast enough for free. Their rate after that isn’t too bad, or the burnside council has a variety of chargers, 7kw, 22kw and 200kw at some good rates.

Burnside Council | Tusmore, SA | EV Station

Free charging at work would be awesome.