Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah FSD doesn't give you much more here at this point. I think Navigate on AP is FSD, as is traffic light control.
Navigate on AP is in EAP (auto lane change and on/off ramps).

FSD just gives you traffic light and stop/yield sign control for the TACC. Both of which I have turned OFF.

I think it's hilarious - if you turn that function ON, the TACC will stop at GREEN lights unless you tap the accelerator every time. I rarely drive in the city, so I haven't really played with it, but I just got weirded out the first time and it's remained off ever since.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
Yeah unfortunately that's a local regulator issue. I still use it occasionally, l especially when traffic is really heavy on the run to work but not very often and when I do I'm pushing it along with accelerator anyhow so confirming the green doesn't worry me too much.

Until we get approved to get on the latest versions though there isn't much value in FSD.

Navigate on AP is in EAP (auto lane change and on/off ramps).

FSD just gives you traffic light and stop/yield sign control for the TACC. Both of which I have turned OFF.

I think it's hilarious - if you turn that function ON, the TACC will stop at GREEN lights unless you tap the accelerator every time. I rarely drive in the city, so I haven't really played with it, but I just got weirded out the first time and it's remained off ever since.
I’ve heard that at some stage during the year Tesla have had some kind of special for EAP, I might hang out for that.
I don’t “need” it, but think it’s pretty cool

A little story on my Highland journey today.

Short summary: Complete MCU failure mid-drive

Long Summary: I took my vehicle on a trip from Canberra to Newcastle, stopping once to supercharge on the way up. Brilliant highway car, although I am now more inclined to purchase EAP as I absolutely hate how AP dis-engages when you change lanes. Such a simple thing my old Golf could even do. I also had the joyous experience of an autopilot ban on the way up 🥲 (don't ask).

On the way back, I had to stop at Central Coast and Exeter to get the electrons I needed for the journey. It was pouring rain by the time I got to Exeter.. Not a worry, I headed into the servo, got a drink, fired up Netflix for a bit and charged away. When I finished, I stopped charging/unlocked the charge port and got back in and as I was about to pull out, the MCU (touchscreen) went black, a chime sounded and the 'PRND' lights illuminated. I did the 2 button scroll wheel reset, which after 30 secs brought up the 'T' logo, but it was stuck in a constant cycle, rebooting at least 5 times by itself, showing the 'T' logo and flickering a bit before the screen came back to normal. A little confused, thinking my car just had a bug it needed to get rid of with 5 reboots, I proceeded on my way. About 5 minutes later heading down the Hume in the 110km zone, the same thing happened again. Black screen, chime sounded, 'PRND' lights lit up. It cycled through another 5 reboots and finally came good again (total maybe 10 mins without a screen) after I was anxiously driving with no screen and autopilot still on. This happened at least another 4 times on my way home.

Things I noticed when your MCU has a meltdown:
Works:
Autopilot stays on, brakes as normal but doesn't provide auditory feedback.
You can wind the windows down

Doesnt Work:
Indicators don't illuminate or make a noise when pressed
Air con doesn't work/turns itself off
Windscreen wipers are manual only operation
And the most worrying point, you don't know what speed you're going.

I've gone into the service menu but it doesn't explicitly point out what triggered it. The only alerts that occurred during my drive/today are in the below pics. I've scheduled a visit to the service centre next week to hopefully work out what's going on.

View attachment 1036913View attachment 1036912

Side note: when I crossed the border, it appeared to stop.. my car's clearly not a blues supporter.
Follow-up from this post. I lodged a service request and within 24 hours, Telsa service remotely pushed 2024.8.9 to my vehicle and advised this should rectify the issue. I asked further questions if what happened was a known bug or if they could see more information on their end but they are yet to respond.

Quite happy that getting my vehicle looked at/serviced didn't require a physical visit to the service centre.

*Edit, still going in Monday to get the rear-vision assembly rattle looked at though.

What my parcel shelf looks like:

IMG_9844.jpeg

I noticed the foam piece now that's mentioned.

Also, the child seat tether point is brilliant for hiding your Toll tag in. It's ever so slightly ajar in this pic due to the odd shape of it but can confirm it works just fine.

I don’t “need” it, but think it’s pretty cool
I actually really appreciate the auto-lane-change, but I think mainly because I am lucky to spend most of my life on particular freeways that happen to be very EAP-friendly.

Most of the time I have auto-lane-change in "everything turned on, mad max" mode, which means it decides when to change lanes, I don't confirm anything, it just goes for it. It will sometimes do an unnecessary lane change, and I just let it unless it's likely to annoy someone, or I can cancel it just by flicking the opposite indicator. If I want it to change lanes, I just flick the indicator and off it goes. On these freeways I don't ever get phantom braking, and the vehicle never does anything silly like diving into exit lanes. If I ever want to turn the auto-lane-change off, there is a blue button on the screen (on the Nav Destination box) which I can just click and that toggles NoA off - effectively back in basic lane-keep but I can still initiate auto-lane-changes with the indicator, however. Sometimes I do that in heavy traffic so as not to annoy other drivers. But I don't drive in heavy traffic often.

However I didn't have such a good experience on certain NSW portions of the Hume Hwy last Christmas - bits of that road were quite EAP unfriendly at uncontrolled crossroads causing TACC braking and a few attempts to dive into the exit lane approaching these crossroads. EDIT: We've had a map update since then and that may have improved this behaviour.

So in conclusion, I love NoA because I spend a lot of time with it on, and it works 95% of the time exactly how I want it to - reducing fatigue considerably. So EAP was worth the purchase for me. FSD, however, was nothing more than a punt at the races that we would get it here sometime soon and that maybe the price would go up. The price now seems to be trending down if anything, but that could change if this V12 starts to really impress at some stage.

We didn't get a free month last Christmas but we did the Christmas before, apparently. So who knows if another trial will eventuate.

• Informative
What my parcel shelf looks like:

View attachment 1038289

I noticed the foam piece now that's mentioned.

Also, the child seat tether point is brilliant for hiding your Toll tag in. It's ever so slightly ajar in this pic due to the odd shape of it but can confirm it works just fine.
Could probably cut the child seat tether out with some bolt cutters so your tag fits in perfectly. As long as what’s left of it is “easily accessible without tools” it’s prob lay still compliant haha
Just kidding

I see the foam on mine too, at night there is a faint light bleed when the brakes are on but it’s minuscule and I don’t mind it, esp when rolling down big hills doing regen

@dronus / @e-enthusiast30 thanks for sharing pics. It's now clear that the foam is means to be visible and mine is not so, the centre tab hasn't been popped into the hole properly.

Do I have permission to use your pics when I raise a service call?

Also, managed to access the service manual for our car and this page explains how to remove/install the shelf: | Tesla

There is a video near the bottom of the web page above, where it shows how to slide the shelf into place, and have those tabs push slide into the respective holes.

@dronus / @e-enthusiast30 thanks for sharing pics. It's now clear that the foam is means to be visible and mine is not so, the sent tab hasn't been popped into the hold properly.

Also, managed to access the service manual for our car and this page explains how to remove/install the shelf: | Tesla

There is a video near the bottom of the page above where it shows how to slide the shelf into place, and have those tabs push slide into the respective holes.
Go for it, if you want some better pics where there are less pubes and reflections of me pantsless, let me know.

@dronus / @e-enthusiast30 thanks for sharing pics. It's now clear that the foam is means to be visible and mine is not so, the centre tab hasn't been popped into the hole properly.

There is a video near the bottom of the web page above, where it shows how to slide the shelf into place, and have those tabs push slide into the respective holes.
Wow, few steps there and I can see how it could have been missed during the panicked change over of rear shelves, probably in some dirty carpark in the sun.

At least the car is safe again now it has all those tether points easily accessible.

5 Stars.

• Funny
Reactions: edy80y and Jules22
Can I just say, one of the highlights of being a member of this forum is any time you use the word "pubes". 🤣
Challenge for today is to use the word in any daily conversation and post back how it went.

Best case scenario you make someone smile, which makes the world a better place.

Worse case scenario you get arrested for saying during an RBT.

If anyone questions if it is PC you can assume they don’t own a Tesla so just ignore their vernacular discrepancy haha.

• Funny
Reactions: BTRProducer
Challenge for today is to use the word in any daily conversation and post back how it went.

Best case scenario you make someone smile, which makes the world a better place.

Worse case scenario you get arrested for saying during an RBT.

If anyone questions if it is PC you can assume they don’t own a Tesla so just ignore their vernacular discrepancy haha.
Challenge accepted. Will report back when I have something to report.

Reactions: dronus