Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@richardnau I don't see any clips or tabs at the back of it. Am I supposed to see it from within the car, or in the boot?

Here's the bulge im talking about, and when I push it down, there's a foam piece, likely to surround the centre brake light to prevent light bleeding.

IMG_1431.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
@richardnau I don't see any clips or tabs at the back of it. Am I supposed to see it from within the car, or in the boot?

Here's the bulge im talking about, and when I push it down, there's a foam piece, likely to surround the centre brake light to prevent light bleeding.

View attachment 1037940
I see light bleeding under mine but thought that was normal

View attachment 1037940

That does not look quite right to me. Should be flat all the way across.

I've been trying (sorry, no success) to find the picture that was posted here or on FB of a poorly refitted shelf... If I locate it I'll link to it.

That does not look quite right to me. Should be flat all the way across.

I've been trying (sorry, no success) to find the picture that was posted here or on FB of a poorly refitted shelf... If I locate it I'll link to it.

Sorry. Can't find photo.

Look in from outside and see if you can see signs of tabs that should slide from the back of the shelf into the structure behind the shelf. That's what I remember from the photo... the tabs had not slid into the slots, and had caused the shelf to bulge around the stop light.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: dronus and edy80y
So just got done with the first leg of my CBR-MEL-ADL-CBR tour.

Drive down to Melbourne was fantastic, 99% on FSD/EAP, could spot several improvements over my last significant road trip in November last year.

- I did get the lane change bail out a couple of times, I think someone else here mentioned this is an issue on the Hume, but not something I had experienced on the CBR-BNE trips. I think I might have caught one of them on camera, definitely seems to be related to the camber of the road, both times it was in an area where there was a significant camber on the road, it just didn't want to change back into the left lanes (both times were going to the left), I managed to force it by holding the left indicator down and it went ok. I'll hopefully have all of that on video. Apart from that though, lane changes were fantastic.

- Trying to go into exit lanes randomly. I had experienced this on the trip to BNE, this time it was MUCH better. On the trip to Brisbane it did it a few times, sometimes it 'swerved' slightly and corrected itself, others I stopped it myself, never ever got close to actually leaving the lane. This time it was MUCH more gentle and it gave a warning each time with the indicator, which was extremely handy. It only actually made a move 2 or 3 times, with the warning it barely got to move the wheel a few cm's and it was such a gentle motion that the passengers would hardly have noticed. A couple of other times it just gave one or a half indicator click like it was thinking about doing it but realised it was wrong. This was definitely a big improvement.

- Slow downs, I had two slight slow downs, one while passing a large semi, wasn't really paying as much attention as I should have been on that one, was talking to my wife so it got down about 7 or 8 km/h below what I was set to, the second time was a car swerving all over his lane and freaked it out, that one I was ready for and only lost 2 or 3 km/h. One really impressive sight was a large truck crossing the highway in front of me, about 150m away. On the previous trip it would have slowed down for that, it visualised it but just kept at speed, so I was really happy with that and count this area as a decent improvement as well.

- Speed cameras, all of the speed cameras that were on the route were shown (there were no mobile ones which I suspect are not implemented yet) it saved me once, had a Merc who was constantly speeding up and slowing down, got the sh1ts and had just got into the right hand lane and was half way through planting it when I saw the speed camera ahead wording on the nav and then saw the symbol. I count that as a big win, it definitely would have nabbed me at least 20k over.

- Charging- I overrode the stop it had intended (Holbrook) as I wanted to check out the new V4 cabinets at Albury. Got there with 25% left which I was quite happy with after ~350km. Had a good meal there and within about 30 mins I was already at 97% and had enough to get to Melbourne, again was pretty happy that CBR to MEL is definitely feasible with one charge stop in a RWD model. Decided to check out the Evie charger at Avenel and just do a quick top up there. First time using an Evie charger, it was OK, much slower than advertised, said it was up to 350kw in the app, but only managed about 70kw, I think I went from ~50% to ~60% or something like that. Anyhow, got to MEL with plenty of charge for tripping around over the next couple of days. All up cost me $42 in charing, would have cost $83 in fuel. As far as time spent, we had lunch in Albury for 30 mins and spent 10 mins topping up at Avenel (which was purely voluntary could have easily skipped that stop). If I'd been driving our ICE vehicle, I would have had to stop for fuel, 10 mins is a good average, and then I'd still have had to take time to go to the bathroom, eat, etc, so the time I spent in Albury would have been exactly the same as we didn't spend any time waiting for charging. At best it's break even, if you count the fact that the second stop was purely voluntary to check out a different brand charger, then the EV was 10 mins quicker.

Overall was an excellent drive, the new Model 3 is significantly better than the 2019 one I did the last trip in. Everyone felt the seats were much more comfortable, considerably quieter, fantastic sound system like all Tesla's, Autopilot is just fantastic for long drives and makes a HUGE difference. Really stoked to see the level of improvements over my last long drive, especially given we are on such an 'old' version compared to the current stack.

Spending a few days here with friends then we head to the Barossa via the great ocean road.

The change in crossing traffic behaviour is quite a difference. In the past my car would always slow significantly if it spotted any crossing traffic.
Mine does this most times I try and use tacc around town. A car crosses like 100m up the road and my car slows down for it. It’s kinda dangerous if there is someone behind you as it’s not really normal human behaviour.

In some suburbs of Adelaide the normal behaviour is to speed up and t bone them so you can kick off an insurance scam.

So just got done with the first leg of my CBR-MEL-ADL-CBR tour.

Drive down to Melbourne was fantastic, 99% on FSD/EAP, could spot several improvements over my last significant road trip in November last year.

- I did get the lane change bail out a couple of times, I think someone else here mentioned this is an issue on the Hume, but not something I had experienced on the CBR-BNE trips. I think I might have caught one of them on camera, definitely seems to be related to the camber of the road, both times it was in an area where there was a significant camber on the road, it just didn't want to change back into the left lanes (both times were going to the left), I managed to force it by holding the left indicator down and it went ok. I'll hopefully have all of that on video. Apart from that though, lane changes were fantastic.

- Trying to go into exit lanes randomly. I had experienced this on the trip to BNE, this time it was MUCH better. On the trip to Brisbane it did it a few times, sometimes it 'swerved' slightly and corrected itself, others I stopped it myself, never ever got close to actually leaving the lane. This time it was MUCH more gentle and it gave a warning each time with the indicator, which was extremely handy. It only actually made a move 2 or 3 times, with the warning it barely got to move the wheel a few cm's and it was such a gentle motion that the passengers would hardly have noticed. A couple of other times it just gave one or a half indicator click like it was thinking about doing it but realised it was wrong. This was definitely a big improvement.

- Slow downs, I had two slight slow downs, one while passing a large semi, wasn't really paying as much attention as I should have been on that one, was talking to my wife so it got down about 7 or 8 km/h below what I was set to, the second time was a car swerving all over his lane and freaked it out, that one I was ready for and only lost 2 or 3 km/h. One really impressive sight was a large truck crossing the highway in front of me, about 150m away. On the previous trip it would have slowed down for that, it visualised it but just kept at speed, so I was really happy with that and count this area as a decent improvement as well.

- Speed cameras, all of the speed cameras that were on the route were shown (there were no mobile ones which I suspect are not implemented yet) it saved me once, had a Merc who was constantly speeding up and slowing down, got the sh1ts and had just got into the right hand lane and was half way through planting it when I saw the speed camera ahead wording on the nav and then saw the symbol. I count that as a big win, it definitely would have nabbed me at least 20k over.

- Charging- I overrode the stop it had intended (Holbrook) as I wanted to check out the new V4 cabinets at Albury. Got there with 25% left which I was quite happy with after ~350km. Had a good meal there and within about 30 mins I was already at 97% and had enough to get to Melbourne, again was pretty happy that CBR to MEL is definitely feasible with one charge stop in a RWD model. Decided to check out the Evie charger at Avenel and just do a quick top up there. First time using an Evie charger, it was OK, much slower than advertised, said it was up to 350kw in the app, but only managed about 70kw, I think I went from ~50% to ~60% or something like that. Anyhow, got to MEL with plenty of charge for tripping around over the next couple of days. All up cost me $42 in charing, would have cost $83 in fuel. As far as time spent, we had lunch in Albury for 30 mins and spent 10 mins topping up at Avenel (which was purely voluntary could have easily skipped that stop). If I'd been driving our ICE vehicle, I would have had to stop for fuel, 10 mins is a good average, and then I'd still have had to take time to go to the bathroom, eat, etc, so the time I spent in Albury would have been exactly the same as we didn't spend any time waiting for charging. At best it's break even, if you count the fact that the second stop was purely voluntary to check out a different brand charger, then the EV was 10 mins quicker.

Overall was an excellent drive, the new Model 3 is significantly better than the 2019 one I did the last trip in. Everyone felt the seats were much more comfortable, considerably quieter, fantastic sound system like all Tesla's, Autopilot is just fantastic for long drives and makes a HUGE difference. Really stoked to see the level of improvements over my last long drive, especially given we are on such an 'old' version compared to the current stack.

Spending a few days here with friends then we head to the Barossa via the great ocean road.
Great update jules, glad all is going well. Enjoy your time in my neck of the woods. Some nice wineries in the barossa

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
First time using an Evie charger, it was OK, much slower than advertised, said it was up to 350kw in the app, but only managed about 70kw, I think I went from ~50% to ~60% or something like that.
The 350kW is for 800V cars - no standard CCS2 charger can do more than 200kW with 400V cars like ours (the Tesla Superchargers can do more because they control both sides, so aren't limited by the standard).

Those Evie chargers can get there, though - I've maxed out at 196kW at the Taree site in the past. You won't get that high at 50% charge, though.

So for some perspective on the BS article Car Eggspurt put out recently when they did the SYD-MEL trip in two BMW's (one EV version and one ICE).

They claimed they took an extra two hours in the ICE and cost them something like $15 more.

So the first leg I just did was 80% of the same route using the same roads, with the lowest range, slowest charging Tesla.

Cost me $42 in charging, with $11.50 of that being a charge I didn't need to do, I just wanted to check out an EVIE charger as I hadn't used one before. The same km's in the Camry would cost us ~$85, so worst case half the price using the EV, best case, if I didn't do the extra charge that I didn't need, it was almost 1/3 the cost of the ICE vehicle.

We spent 30 minutes at Albury Commercial Club, getting a decent lunch and toilet breaks etc while the car charged. Ended up hitting 97% in that time (definitely not the most efficient way to charge but the priority was getting a good lunch and let the car do it's thing). We had enough to complete the journey at that point, but as I mentioned above I wanted to check out the EVIE charger at Avenel so we did a 10 minute leg stretch, toilet break and bought a few snacks.

So the worst way you could spin it, the trip took no extra time, we would have needed the 10 minute stop to fuel up (which I could have skipped in the EV), we still would have needed to get lunch, toilet breaks etc, which if I didn't just want to shove some greasy crap in my gob at the servo would have taken the same time.

Makes you wonder how they managed to take 2 hours extra, you would really have to try very hard to make that happen. Even more puzzling is the claim that they managed to make it cost more than $100 in the EV. That is one they must have really tried hard to manufacture. Maybe if they stopped at a busy charger and left the car fully charged for an hour to generate idle fees.

Why they wouldn't do the trip in the best selling EV vs say the Camry rather than use a car that has sold all of 4 and is both inferior and over-priced. I guess that was the only way they could manufacture the results they supposedly achieved which was in no way representative of real world results anyone driving a decent EV even without being as efficient as you could be if you wanted to do the trip in the shortest time. Could have easily just done two 10-12 minute charging stops to achieve the same result more efficiently.

Reactions: dronus
So for some perspective on the BS article Car Eggspurt put out recently when they did the SYD-MEL trip in two BMW's (one EV version and one ICE).

They claimed they took an extra two hours in the ICE and cost them something like $15 more.

So the first leg I just did was 80% of the same route using the same roads, with the lowest range, slowest charging Tesla.

Cost me $42 in charging, with $11.50 of that being a charge I didn't need to do, I just wanted to check out an EVIE charger as I hadn't used one before. The same km's in the Camry would cost us ~$85, so worst case half the price using the EV, best case, if I didn't do the extra charge that I didn't need, it was almost 1/3 the cost of the ICE vehicle.

We spent 30 minutes at Albury Commercial Club, getting a decent lunch and toilet breaks etc while the car charged. Ended up hitting 97% in that time (definitely not the most efficient way to charge but the priority was getting a good lunch and let the car do it's thing). We had enough to complete the journey at that point, but as I mentioned above I wanted to check out the EVIE charger at Avenel so we did a 10 minute leg stretch, toilet break and bought a few snacks.

So the worst way you could spin it, the trip took no extra time, we would have needed the 10 minute stop to fuel up (which I could have skipped in the EV), we still would have needed to get lunch, toilet breaks etc, which if I didn't just want to shove some greasy crap in my gob at the servo would have taken the same time.

Makes you wonder how they managed to take 2 hours extra, you would really have to try very hard to make that happen. Even more puzzling is the claim that they managed to make it cost more than $100 in the EV. That is one they must have really tried hard to manufacture. Maybe if they stopped at a busy charger and left the car fully charged for an hour to generate idle fees.

Why they wouldn't do the trip in the best selling EV vs say the Camry rather than use a car that has sold all of 4 and is both inferior and over-priced. I guess that was the only way they could manufacture the results they supposedly achieved which was in no way representative of real world results anyone driving a decent EV even without being as efficient as you could be if you wanted to do the trip in the shortest time. Could have easily just done two 10-12 minute charging stops to achieve the same result more efficiently.
Those v4 superchargers in Albury are awesome. Really glad I dropped in to see them when I was over there recently. Didn’t drop in to get a feed tho as I had the dog with me, couldla dressed him up as a baby and put him in a pram I suppose but if they were serving a buffet meat thing it could have gone horribly wrong. I digress.
In a recent “not a car guy” video they head from Melbourne to Sydney in an older model Y and they get nervous around Wangaratta if they can make it to Albury or Wodonga. Range must be less in the older RWD model Y.
Most of the Evie chargers I used while in vic were just 50kw for morning top ups while I got coffee which was perfect.
I did use a 350kw RACV unit in Horsham on the way out as the SC was full, and I was getting 150kw+ from memory at low low soc but it was dang hot in that big open carpark as anyone that’s been there on a 40deg day can attest. The fans were going nuts.

Albury
IMG_9255.jpeg
IMG_9258.jpeg

Horsham

IMG_9109.jpeg

Reactions: cafz