Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the plugs OK, solid and robust, but wait until you try a BP Pulse. Those liquid cooled cables are not nice 😬
Ohh, does cooling the cable help sustain higher charging rates? Or is it an environmental thing where they are located (out in places that get heaps hot?)
I dont think ive seen any around here, maybe the 350KW RAA chargers? i havent used one yet.

Yeah I’d only use them when travelling or if I’ve had a long day and need a full charge for the next day that my home charger wouldn’t catch up to.
12kw at home would be 96c on the over night plan.
Which charger did you try?
There are two RAA-Chargefox chargers in Mount Barker homemaker centre.
Have you switched to an 8c/kW night plan? Does it work? I have some "money" in my alinta account from excess solar, and I need to use those first since they don't cash it out.

Reactions: dronus
Ohh, does cooling the cable help sustain higher charging rates? Or is it an environmental thing where they are located (out in places that get heaps hot?)
I dont think ive seen any around here, maybe the 350KW RAA chargers? i havent used one yet.

Liquid cooling allows the cable to conduct much higher current without overheating. But they are really, really heavy and very difficult to manoevere. I have no idea why BP Pulse insisted on them, every BP Pulse site I’ve seen uses them. But 350 kW Chargefox and Evie sites seem to cope OK without them 🤷‍♂️.

• Informative
Reactions: dronus and Jules22
There are two RAA-Chargefox chargers in Mount Barker homemaker centre.
Have you switched to an 8c/kW night plan? Does it work? I have some "money" in my alinta account from excess solar, and I need to use those first since they don't cash it out.
Yep 8c/kwh between midnight and 6am.
I have a 32a (7kw) outlet so it takes about an hour and a half to recharge the car under $1 a day.i also use the “depart by” with ”preconditioning “ which I’ve found can save a few percent on these cold mornings as I’m assuming the car doesn’t waste power warming the battery.

Do most/all RAA require a BYO type 2? we have two here at the Novotel I'm staying at but they are both BYO so haven't tried them.
Anything above 22kw will have its own cable.
There are a bunch of 7/22kw RAA chargers that are byo as well, some of them are still free. If you see the fast charger on the Chargefox app and it doesn’t list the type 2 outlet, often they are non networked so free. I think they are meant to be a backup in case the fast charger fails but the closest one to me (Seaford) always has the same car parked there all day, I’m assuming someone who works locally and doesn’t care.
I carry a 22kw type 2 cable in my boot just in case. Even if I don’t need it, it might get someone else out of a pickle, like carrying a first aid kid.
Some people care, others don’t :)