Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, makes sense.
I think Sparks/flame are more of a fire risks which is why unregulated operation of electronic devices or use of naked fire such as cigarettes while filling up is not allowed.

Liquid cooled charging cables exist even in places where there is no fuel. EV chargers don't cause sparks or naked flames. Static electricity is a non event as the whole thing is grounded and where is the petrol tank?. I suggest that sparks from static electricity while holding a petrol pump is more of an issue.

So light up that ciggie when filling up an EV (but not at a servo)👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22
*Update on rear-vision mirror assembly rattle*

I took mine to the Canberra SC who advised they've looked at a few now. It has to do with the way the GPS assembly is mounted within it.. the service tech advised the GPS antenna is in the rear-vision mirror assembly, and the Bluetooth, Cellular and Wi-Fi antenna is in the middle speaker assembly in the roof.

They've noticed the GPS antenna assembly has been loose and he fixed it by tightening and adding some insulation pieces around it that don't affect GPS performance.

^ if you notice a rattle in the rear-vision mirror, book a service!

*Update on rear-vision mirror assembly rattle*

I took mine to the Canberra SC who advised they've looked at a few now. It has to do with the way the GPS assembly is mounted within it.. the service tech advised the GPS antenna is in the rear-vision mirror assembly, and the Bluetooth, Cellular and Wi-Fi antenna is in the middle speaker assembly in the roof.

They've noticed the GPS antenna assembly has been loose and he fixed it by tightening and adding some insulation pieces around it that don't affect GPS performance.

^ if you notice a rattle in the rear-vision mirror, book a service!
I often hear something rattling but it’s localise inside my head, sounds like marbles. Should I book a service? Probably just need a good slap haha.

Great, I had been skeptical as the headlights are so "squinty"👍
The headlights in whatever this thing is are tiny but I was driving behind one tonight and they put out heaps of light.

IMG_0177.jpeg

I did get one trucky get real cranky, must have thought they were on high beam even though it was cearly all blocked out around him. DId a big flash, honk etc. Had a couple more flash after that, but I just flashed them back and they quickly realised that they weren't on high beams and settled down.

That was out of hundreds of them I passed on the trip from Warrnambool to Barossa, so I'd say 99% of them are smart enough to realise it's not blinding them, but the odd few see the other side of the road lit up so assumed the high beams were on and start getting cranky, despite the fact that half of them were more blinding with their normal lights than my high beams would have been without their cabin being clearly blocked right out.

The flash back on the couple that flashed after the first one got cranky seemed to settle them down though, it must have made it obvious that it wasn't hitting them prior.

Reactions: divstar and dronus
I did get one trucky get real cranky, must have thought they were on high beam even though it was cearly all blocked out around him. DId a big flash, honk etc. Had a couple more flash after that, but I just flashed them back and they quickly realised that they weren't on high beams and settled down.

That was out of hundreds of them I passed on the trip from Warrnambool to Barossa, so I'd say 99% of them are smart enough to realise it's not blinding them, but the odd few see the other side of the road lit up so assumed the high beams were on and start getting cranky, despite the fact that half of them were more blinding with their normal lights than my high beams would have been without their cabin being clearly blocked right out.

The flash back on the couple that flashed after the first one got cranky seemed to settle them down though, it must have made it obvious that it wasn't hitting them prior.
Yeah I’ve been curious in trying them out but they are a tad too slow to react around urban streets so I have them off. Seems to work better on the open road but it is fascinating to watch.
6k tomorrow;)

IMG_0180.jpeg

Reactions: sishome
trucky get real cranky
I wonder though...
From the perspective of the Tesla driver, the matrixed area darkens for on incoming cars. However, from the perspective of the oncoming vehicles, I wonder if they are seeing light spillover from the adjacent lit matrix led in other words, the light seen by the oncoming vehicles is still brighter than no highbeam?

Last edited:
I wonder though...
From the perspective of the Tesla driver, the matrixed area darkens for on incoming cars. However, from the perspective of the oncoming vehicles, I wonder if they are seeing light spillover from the adjacent lit matrix led in other words, the light seen by the oncoming vehicles is still brighter than no highbeam?
I've been planning to do a test, just got to get some time with both cars etc, but I doubt it. The oncoming car has a significant buffer of distinct 'blackness' about it. I know I used to get the same issue in other cars that even dimmed whole headlights or a much larger portion of them. I really suspect that some just see that there is a lot of brightness on other parts of the road and assume you are on high beams. That coupled with this drive was all the way through till 02:30 and was passing trucks and cars constantly all through that time, only 1 had a real problem and the other two seemed to quickly realise they were in the wrong when they got flashed back at a distance.

Will definitely try to get a test done and film it when I can.