Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder though...
From the perspective of the Tesla driver, the matrixed area darkens for on incoming cars. However, from the perspective of the oncoming vehicles, I wonder if they are seeing light spillover from the adjacent lit matrix led in other words, the light seen by the oncoming vehicles is still brighter than no highbeam?
This shows how it works. It’s not perfect, especially for foot traffic. But seemed solid at recognising other cars.

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
Yeah, just got to find one with video ready etc. I plan to just set it up with my wife in her car once we get home, she can record me coming towards and coming past from behind with her lights on and off, that way it'll pick up both what it looks like with full high beams and with the adaptive blacked out.
I can chase you down the freeway, see if my stealth grey really is stealthy

Reactions: Jules22
Tom's video does that pretty well. I still plan to do one with the view from front as well as with the high beams from behind.
Yeah he’s got the right idea and does indeed capture both perspectives, however, he’s stationary as the M3 drives towards him. Would have been good to see the results as both cars drove towards each other.

The speed it dips when he turns the stationary lights on is impressive.

If anyone was wondering a 32” monitor fits perfect in the boot of the m3h

IMG_0181.jpeg

I haven't done a huge amount of night driving but so far I have had I believe 2 cars flash me when using the matrix headlights. I have also had 2 cars flash me when I didn't have the highbeams on which got me worried I had them on or it wasn't working so I pulled over to double check which logo was for the matrix headlights.

On another note. I just recently drove a 2021 Model 3 while on holiday (rental from Sixt). At first I was considering buying a used Model 3 but I am really glad I didn't. Took me a while to get used to the stalks and not having all the buttons on the steering wheel.

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
I haven't done a huge amount of night driving but so far I have had I believe 2 cars flash me when using the matrix headlights. I have also had 2 cars flash me when I didn't have the highbeams on which got me worried I had them on or it wasn't working so I pulled over to double check which logo was for the matrix headlights.

On another note. I just recently drove a 2021 Model 3 while on holiday (rental from Sixt). At first I was considering buying a used Model 3 but I am really glad I didn't. Took me a while to get used to the stalks and not having all the buttons on the steering wheel.
Try driving a normal ice car again.. they waste so much energy accelerating and even more braking in stop start traffic.

And yes I agree, stalkless is heaps easy and intuitive.

Reactions: Jules22
Sadly passed 7,000km yesterday just as a car flicked up a rock and broke the windscreen, really bad too. About 50c size instant star and within 5 min had spread 30cm across the windscreen. Really not looking forward to the repair, or the fact ive got to have it done so soon into ownership.

IMG_4431.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: edy80y
Sadly passed 7,000km yesterday just as a car flicked up a rock and broke the windscreen, really bad too. About 50c size instant star and within 5 min had spread 30cm across the windscreen. Really not looking forward to the repair, or the fact ive got to have it done so soon into ownership.

View attachment 1040116
that sucks balls man, sorry to hear it. hopefully a quick turnaround for you.

Reactions: AusMar

At least it’s on the passenger side so you can drive the car until Tesla (or whoever you get to replace) is ready to do it on a day convenient for you, minimal time off the road.

And depending on your insurance policy, should be a “free” no-excess claim.

These things happen. I’ve had one stone chip resin repaired in 4+ years of driving - it could have happened on Day 1 or yesterday, it is what it is.

Reactions: dronus