Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a major problem with my model 3. It's invisible and I can't find it
Is this it?

IMG_9936.jpeg

Reactions: AusMar
Finished the weekend long ceramic coating today - feeling like I’ve achieved something but certainly don’t begrudge the money people charge to do this stuff! Did discover I have a bit of bad factory paint under the boot handle lip - anyone else got that? Right in the joint, doesn’t bother me much but looks like it was missed a bit.

Thankfully though going over the entire car with several lights the rest of the paint is great - though sadly got a few gnarly stone chips already - Hume/M5 never good for them though. Why can’t people stay in the lanes instead of constantly swerving off into the loose rocks!

Reactions: dronus
It's great, I am already over 1,300km. The only issue I have is that both the front seats seem to make quite a bit of creaking noises when accelerating, decelerating and taking sharper corners. Has anyone else had this?
Mine has a bit of an unnerving lateral movement in the drivers seat when cornering hard and accelerating, Mrs reports passenger side is fine - was worried it might be my weight but I have seen mention of a few people taking them into service for that - I’ve added it to my service list along with the rattling parcel shelf and ghost interior lights. Nothing major any of them, I’d say the seat might need a tighten on the bolts, the parcel shelf was in that entire fiasco so probably needs something rejigged, and hopefully they replace the light and all is sorted.

Reactions: dronus
Few things after a few days of driving / charging it:
(1) in my case, charging cable length is a non-issue. I struggle to imagine in which case you may need a cable longer than 3-4 metres. The one provided with the UMC is unnecessarily long for me.
(2) Absence of stalks is a non-issue even when exiting roundabouts.
(3) Absence of physical shift knob is a non-issue. For me the screen thing is even better.
(4) Autosteer is good on motorways, but can be dangerous on narrow rural roads, especially in left curves (!). The autopilot apparently wants to see what is behind the curve and crosses the centreline without braking while turning. I can see how it causes a head-on collision easily. It also tends to move closer to the centreline in left curves, and this is weird. The message is - just be very careful with it. They are asking to keep your hands on the steering wheel for a reason - to keep you safe, as those auto-things cannot be completely relied on. I have a weird, weird feeling that the whole physical model of the car is somehow not working in the left curves.
(5) Still, autosteer is a good thing. If you see a simple stretch of the road, you have time to drink some water, clear your nose if you are having cold as I am now, hug your wife, shout at your kids etc.
(6) There are many 7kW free chargers everywhere. 7kW is not "trickle" if you think about it, because half an hour walking in a park gives you 20 km of charge to drive back. The thing is some of them are quite old, which means that J1772 adapter is a good investment. I've got one from aliexpress, it is the only thing I've got from there for the whole setup, and it seems to work fine.
(7) Rear screen (with youtube) is an excellent thing if you have kids attached to the rear seats. Kurzgesagt was on for half an hour, no fighting, no arewethereyets, the kids learned about Fermi paradox. After this, I subscribed to premium connectivity immediately.

Last edited:
(1) in my case, charging cable length is a non-issue. I struggle to imagine in which case you may need a cable longer than 3-4 metres. The one provided with the UMC is unnecessarily long for me.
(3) Absence of physical shift knob is a non-issue. For me the screen thing is even better.
(4) Autosteer is good on motorways, but can be dangerous on narrow rural roads, especially in left curves (!). The autopilot apparently wants to see what is behind the curve and crosses the centreline without braking while turning. I can see how it causes a head-on collision easily. It also tends to move closer to the centreline in left curves, and this is weird. The message is - just be very careful with it. They are asking to keep your hands on the steering wheel for a reason - to keep you safe, as those auto-things cannot be completely relied on. I have a weird, weird feeling that the whole physical model of the car is somehow not working in the left curves.
(5) Still, autosteer is a good thing. If you see a simple stretch of the road, you have time to drink some water, clear your nose if you are having cold as I am now, hug your wife, shout at your kids etc.
(6) There are many 7kW free chargers everywhere. 7kW is not "trickle" if you think about it, because half an hour walking in a park gives you 20 km of charge to drive back. The thing is some of them are quite old, which means that J1772 adapter is a good investment. I've got one from aliexpress, it is the only thing I've got from there for the whole setup, and it seems to work fine.
(7) Rear screen (with youtube) is an excellent thing if you have kids attached to the rear seats. Kurzgesagt was on for half an hour, no fighting, no arewethereyets, the kids learned about Fermi paradox. After this, I subscribed to premium connectivity immediately.
Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

It was quite a long journey, but you’ll be glad you didn’t buy the BYD and about now the anguish of waiting starts to disappear :)

Yeah I only use autopilot on roads that have clear paint lines, it seems to want to have them.

Reactions: Jules22
Good write up!

Agree with @dronus re AP, I generally only use it on divided roads, the version we have here just doesn't work very well on narrow/rural roads. Fantastic for long drives and sometimes I use it for the drive to work and back especially when it's really bumper to bumper traffic.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

It was quite a long journey, but you’ll be glad you didn’t buy the BYD and about now the anguish of waiting starts to disappear :)

Yeah I only use autopilot on roads that have clear paint lines, it seems to want to have them.
Again, it is an absolutely lovely car, especially with two motors :) A few minutes ago was overtaking someone, the whole maneuver took less than a second. With autosteer, I somehow doubt that the problem is in lines. The car shows the road structure perfectly on the screen and knows where she is very well, and she sees when she crosses the centreline. It is what she does with it is somewhat buggy. Let's see what the next firmware will bring us :)

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
Again, it is an absolutely lovely car, especially with two motors :) A few minutes ago was overtaking someone, the whole maneuver took less than a second. With autosteer, I somehow doubt that the problem is in lines. The car shows the road structure perfectly on the screen and knows where she is very well, and she sees when she crosses the centreline. It is what she does with it is somewhat buggy. Let's see what the next firmware will bring us :)
Yeah dual motor would be Wickid.

Let's see what the next firmware will bring us :)
I don't expect to see any improvements to AP until they approve and release the more up to date versions of FSD in Australia, I suspect that the stacks are tied together and we need that to happen first.

I believe the regulatory hurdles are out of the way, if they were an issue to begin with (as a level 2 system currnetly it was never prohibited and they've had Tesla employees testing it here for quite some time)

The last statement from Tesla on it was that once they were satisfied enough with the progress and safety, they'd 'release free FSD trials and release to international markets shortly after'

They've just started the free trials in every vehicle in the US, released to Canada and there's rumblings for Europe, so hopefully within the next 6-12 months we may see it. Could even be 3-6 months as the most bullish case, but I wouldn't bank on anything sooner than 6.

in my case, charging cable length is a non-issue. I struggle to imagine in which case you may need a cable longer than 3-4 metres. The one provided with the UMC is unnecessarily long for me.

If you ever get a Type 2 - Type 2 cable, I suggest a minimum length of 5 metres and consider getting 7m, depending on where you might think you’d use it. 10m is probably unnecessarily long, as well as quite heavy and unwieldy.

We have a growing number of polechargers in Sydney (which are totally awesome BTW) and once when I tried to use one, my 5m cable was not quite long enough to reach my charge port. Mainly because the person using the other port was badly parked and I couldn’t move forward far enough. I thought “dang it - maybe I should have got a 7m cable”… but 5m has been long enough every other time I’ve used it.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share that I finally got my hands on the M3H over the Easter long weekend! It's been an exhilarating ride so far, but I've got a newbie question that's been on my mind.

So, when I picked up the car, the psi on all the wheels was sitting comfortably at 43. But after three days of driving, I noticed it's dropped to 41 and 40 on different wheels. Now, I'm wondering if this drop is normal or if I should be concerned. Pumping it back up to 43 seems a bit excessive if I have to do it every 400 km I travel, right?

after 25000km in 6 months, i'm pretty confident in saying AP likes a late apex. Never had it cross the centre line though. i've done thousands of autopilot km on single lane roads.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share that I finally got my hands on the M3H over the Easter long weekend! It's been an exhilarating ride so far, but I've got a newbie question that's been on my mind.

So, when I picked up the car, the psi on all the wheels was sitting comfortably at 43. But after three days of driving, I noticed it's dropped to 41 and 40 on different wheels. Now, I'm wondering if this drop is normal or if I should be concerned. Pumping it back up to 43 seems a bit excessive if I have to do it every 400 km I travel, right?
The tyre pressure required in a tesla (and to my knowledge all ev) is very high. It is weight related. You should follow the guide on the tyre plate. As a further guide and for better ev tyre life, if both shoulders are wearing on the tyre add a bit more pressure, if centre is wearing use less pressure. Cannot speak for the highland wheels but my model s tyres go through air like crazy. I regularly add air to them.

Hey everyone,

I had to add 6psi all round as I was getting low pressure warnings.
I’d assume it’s because they were inflated in a hot climate and now it’s getting colder the pressure drops.