Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are in South Australia where this is not available.
I’m with Ovo (SA) and use the EV plan. I only charge during 11am - 2pm and haven’t spent a cent on charging the car since I joined. Peak rates (54c kWh) and daily supply charge (148c) are high, but the free charging/3 hour free window to go nuts with charging/washing machine/dishwasher/AC and 8c kWh from 12-6am make up for it (usually sleep with the air on during summer/spring).

Reactions: dronus
I’m with Ovo (SA) and use the EV plan. I only charge during 11am - 2pm and haven’t spent a cent on charging the car since I joined. Peak rates (54c kWh) and daily supply charge (148c) are high, but the free charging/3 hour free window to go nuts with charging/washing machine/dishwasher/AC and 8c kWh from 12-6am make up for it (usually sleep with the air on during summer/spring).
Yeah Ill re-run the maths again but as I’m generally at work during the day so can’t charge the car during the day paying the extra during peak and service charge when I am home doesn’t seem to make it worthwhile.
I’ll rerun it tho now I know my usage at 8c from 12-6am (it’s 1am-6am with AGL) and see if I need a referral :)

Reactions: Tesl3on
Agl have a ev plan, but not sure if the ev charge rate of 8c/kW will offset the additional 2c/kW on top of your current rate would offer the savings, plus supply charge is 102.56/day. Go solar, willsave you heaps. Oh and check out amber electricity, they are wholesalers, a.d rates fluctuate depending on demand.
Yeah I did look at their ev plan but they jack everything else up as you mentioned.
Solar seems to be the go, try and do everything while the sun is up :)

Yeah I did look at their ev plan but they jack everything else up as you mentioned.
Solar seems to be the go, try and do everything while the sun is up :)
Given up hope that the Gubberment will actually do anything anytime they say they will look into power pricing in SA, every time they do either nothing happens or it goes up.. More tax i guess...

Reactions: Tesl3on
So, when I picked up the car, the psi on all the wheels was sitting comfortably at 43. But after three days of driving, I noticed it's dropped to 41 and 40 on different wheels. Now, I'm wondering if this drop is normal or if I should be concerned. Pumping it back up to 43 seems a bit excessive if I have to do it every 400 km I travel, right?
It will vary by a few PSI as the temperature changes. As you drive, they'll heat up as well.

If you maintain the recommended 42psi cold, you'll find you need to top them up around this time of year when the mornings first turn cold, then probably once more later in winter.

• Informative
Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
Looks like I might be better off going to the AGL EV plan, the extra few cents during the day would be offset by the 21c at night charging the car

IMG_9953.jpeg

Changed to AGL night saver EV and will roll with it.
The ovo plan would work if I was home during the day.
Interestingly when they changed my plan over it must be retrospective and with 2 days left in this billing cycle by bill went down by $35 haha
Also the EV plan is midnight to 6am as opposed to off peak which is 1am to 6 am so I shouldn’t have any issues keeping charged.

IMG_9958.jpeg

Picking the right electricity plan is a somewhat painful exercise in spreadsheeting. And of course assumes that your future usage profiles will be similar to your past usage profiles, which might or might not pan out that way.

Because I have a relatively small solar array and battery (hence don’t export a lot of solar - even less now with Charge on Solar 😄) the dominant factors for me to minimise annual costs are (1) low offpeak rate and (2) low daily connection fee. Less than 5% of my grid usage is at peak, so I almost don’t care what the peak rate is (for me it’s currently 60c/kWh), and neither do I care what the FIT is (2c/kWh).

It’s time for me to do my annual plan comparison and I’m seriously considering Amber. Their quote was that I would actually make money every year, primarily because I have a battery so could discharge some power to the grid at peak times. I’m currently paying about $1700 p.a. so that almost seems too good to be true! Ovo is another to consider.

It’s getting harder and harder to get good plans from the majors and I absolutely hate dealing with them. They almost always screw something up.

Reactions: paulp and dronus
Hi - I'm a new owner and am looking for help with 2 questions please...

#1 - re "Cabin Overheat Protection" - I have it turned on since I bought it as I usually park in the driveway without much overhead shade. How much battery do you reckon it should consume every day? I've noticed that the battery has depleted about 2% since yesterday whilst it's been parked. Is it normal or is there another setting I should be looking at as well?

#2 - the various EV charging plans on offer from electricity providers. A bit of a naive question - but how do they know that someone is charging an EV as opposed to running a washing machine for example during those times?

Thanks in advance

#1 - re "Cabin Overheat Protection" - I have it turned on since I bought it as I usually park in the driveway without much overhead shade. How much battery do you reckon it should consume every day? I've noticed that the battery has depleted about 2% since yesterday whilst it's been parked. Is it normal or is there another setting I should be looking at as well?

It depends a lot on the weather. If it's really hot with a lot of sun, that'll use a lot - if it's 18C and cloudy it'll use basically nothing.

2% sounds about right. I have cabin overhead protection on all the time, usually park the car under a carport and don't really notice any significant use from it.

#2 - the various EV charging plans on offer from electricity providers. A bit of a naive question - but how do they know that someone is charging an EV as opposed to running a washing machine for example during those times?
Mostly, they don't, and for the most part they don't care. With for example Red, as long as you show them you have an EV registered at the address you can get the plan and use electricity for whatever purpose you want in the free period.

One of them - I think Origin maybe? - couples the plan with a charger they supply and you only get the electricity use the charger reports for free.

Reactions: dronus and kmsyd777
It depends a lot on the weather. If it's really hot with a lot of sun, that'll use a lot - if it's 18C and cloudy it'll use basically nothing.

2% sounds about right. I have cabin overhead protection on all the time, usually park the car under a carport and don't really notice any significant use from it

Mostly, they don't, and for the most part they don't care. With for example Red, as long as you show them you have an EV registered at the address you can get the plan and use electricity for whatever purpose you want in the free period.

One of them - I think Origin maybe? - couples the plan with a charger they supply and you only get the electricity use the charger reports for free.
AGL didn’t ask for any proof, could be doing anything. I guess they sus you out when chatting.

Sentry uses more power than over heat protection in my recent experiences.

Picking the right electricity plan is a somewhat painful exercise in spreadsheeting. And of course assumes that your future usage profiles will be similar to your past usage profiles, which might or might not pan out that way.

Because I have a relatively small solar array and battery (hence don’t export a lot of solar - even less now with Charge on Solar 😄) the dominant factors for me to minimise annual costs are (1) low offpeak rate and (2) low daily connection fee. Less than 5% of my grid usage is at peak, so I almost don’t care what the peak rate is (for me it’s currently 60c/kWh), and neither do I care what the FIT is (2c/kWh).

It’s time for me to do my annual plan comparison and I’m seriously considering Amber. Their quote was that I would actually make money every year, primarily because I have a battery so could discharge some power to the grid at peak times. I’m currently paying about $1700 p.a. so that almost seems too good to be true! Ovo is another to consider.

It’s getting harder and harder to get good plans from the majors and I absolutely hate dealing with them. They almost always screw something up.
I find Amber a little complicated - I'm trying to understand it a bit more. I guess need to sit down with it and work out my specific use case and how the automation (charge on solar etc) might work with it.

I find Amber a little complicated - I'm trying to understand it a bit more. I guess need to sit down with it and work out my specific use case and how the automation (charge on solar etc) might work with it.
I did do a video showing how it all works -

For me it's fantastic, haven't paid a bill since I joined, earning decent amounts every month even when we've had pretty bad weather and little solar. Often getting 30+c/kWh arbitrage just buying and selling power, especially when it goes negative.

Ovo has been good to me since switching from Red Energy. This was my usage from March with using the 11-2 charging time mostly but have used the 12-6am 8c a few times too. I could save another 5% if I enable bill smoothing but with that you would need to prepay and I prefer postpay.

1712117339441.png

1712117169938.png

Attachments

• 1712117553251.png
    1712117553251.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: sammody and dronus