Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Save you the effort….I have the same thing in makita. Its so slow. I started with that, then went to leaf blower, then went for a big boi. Also the risk with any blower without a filter is you suck in some grit and blast it onto your car. The heated big boi units are not cheap but they provide protected hot air, and lots of it.

Reactions: Tesl3on and dronus
Save you the effort….I have the same thing in makita. Its so slow. I started with that, then went to leaf blower, then went for a big boi. Also the risk with any blower without a filter is you suck in some grit and blast it onto your car. The heated big boi units are not cheap but they provide protected hot air, and lots of it.
Ok feck it, I'll get a big boi.

Reactions: paulp
Tucked in next to its wifi access point for the night :)

IMG_9878.jpeg

Ever wondered what’s under the front boot tub?

IMG_9877.jpeg

I like the idea of a water filter too, where would one get one of those? I’ll put a double adapter on the tap so I’m only filtering the hose that I wash the car with.
I got the Big Boi (2x filter system as opposed to 3x) one online from The Detail Store. I believe you can get a 5% off code for your first purchase. I also got the trolley for it, which makes it super easy to cart around. Otherwise you’ll need to wall mount it or come up with another plan - can’t leave it free standing. Most people recommend just filtering the water for the final rinse.

Reactions: dronus
I got the Big Boi (2x filter system as opposed to 3x) one online from The Detail Store. I believe you can get a 5% off code for your first purchase. I also got the trolley for it, which makes it super easy to cart around. Otherwise you’ll need to wall mount it or come up with another plan - can’t leave it free standing. Most people recommend just filtering the water for the final rinse.
Uh oh.
I just went to their website.
Down the rabbit hole I go….

• Love
Reactions: paulp and Tesl3on
I found their long hose means I can place the dryer behind the car and dry the entire car without moving the dryer. Filters are also available from plumbing stores like Reece

Reactions: dronus and Tesl3on
Would towel drying the car really risk causing scratches and swirls if its been cleaned properly using 2 bucket method and/or foam first?
Just bought the Twisted Sucker Pro from Supercheap on their big online sale. (Super huge thick drying towel)
I need an excuse not to buy more car stuff - for now 😄

Would towel drying the car really risk causing scratches and swirls if its been cleaned properly using 2 bucket method and/or foam first?
Just bought the Twisted Sucker Pro from Supercheap on their big online sale. (Super huge thick drying towel)
I need an excuse not to buy more car stuff - for now 😄
Nothing wrong with what you are doing. Blow drying is just a bit faster and less strenuous (but not a lot). If you do not have a ceramic coating blow drying is not going to work well.

Reactions: divstar
Blowing the water off also gets in the cracks and crevices where drying with a towel won't get to. My big boi buddi jnr with the hose attachment makes it a breeze especially since my car is ceramic coated and I use a wash n wax car wash on top of that.

Reactions: paulp
Wow this car is crazy efficient. Model 3 Highland RWD base model with 18" wheels. Drove from Sydney to Central coast and back and averaged 112 Wh / km. Granted the weather was a perfect 24C and only carrying one person but still amazing.
Yeah, it is impressive. Other manufacturers are just shoving 90-100kW battery packs in there to try to match Tesla's range which means you lose out twice because 90% of the time you are just lugging around this huge weight that you don't really need.

That's also the reason why the myth exists that all EV's are so much heavier. True for other EV's but Tesla's are on par with a similar ICE vehicle.

Yeah, it is impressive. Other manufacturers are just shoving 90-100kW battery packs in there to try to match Tesla's range which means you lose out twice because 90% of the time you are just lugging around this huge weight that you don't really need.

That's also the reason why the myth exists that all EV's are so much heavier. True for other EV's but Tesla's are on par with a similar ICE vehicle.
The myth exists because it has been true. Only the latest model 3 is anywhere near any comparable ice vehicle weight

Reactions: dronus
The myth exists because it has been true. Only the latest model 3 is anywhere near any comparable ice vehicle weight
That's completely wrong. The new model 3 is not signigantly lighter than the old, which was very much in the ballpark of a similar sized ICE vehicle.

The Y is even closer in weight to a comparable ICE vehicle (lighter when you add in fuel to the ICE).

As I said in my post, the reason all EV's get lumped in the heavy category is the legacy makers who cannot achieve the efficiencies that Tesla do. As soon as you start comparing Teslas to other EV's is where you get really significant differences in weight (talking 500-900 kg differences).

Reactions: Vostok and dronus