Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Q6 e-tron EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this rant completely misses the point. The most popular cars are actually not the "cool" looking ones, but affordable and practical ones. Why else would vehicles like the Toyota Camry, Nissan Rogue or (in Europe) VW Golf be the bestsellers? The key to reaching the mass market is not to imitate Tesla, but to make EVs affordable.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
I think this rant completely misses the point. The most popular cars are actually not the "cool" looking ones, but affordable and practical ones. Why else would vehicles like the Toyota Camry, Nissan Rogue or (in Europe) VW Golf be the bestsellers? The key to reaching the mass market is not to imitate Tesla, but to make EVs affordable.
The point is not to make a sub-standard poor imitation of a Tesla but to make something better... more range, better technology, better charging; not the pathetic meh imitators we have seen so far.
The cars people are trading in for a Model 3 are: Honda Civic, BMW 3, Honda Accord, Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf. Automakers should take a lesson here. People want and are willing to pay for state of the art technology and performance, not some pathetic watered down imitation.

Reactions: tescroft
The point is not to make a sub-standard poor imitation of a Tesla but to make something better... more range, better technology, better charging; not the pathetic meh imitators we have seen so far.
I don't see how the car discussed in this thread is an imitation of a Tesla. Tesla doesn't really offer a comparable vehicle yet.
The cars people are trading in for a Model 3 are: Honda Civic, BMW 3, Honda Accord, Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf. Automakers should take a lesson here. People want and are willing to pay for state of the art technology and performance, not some pathetic watered down imitation.
Privileged early adopters willing and able to drop $50K+ on a car are. The premise of the video is that the point of EVs is to reduce the emission of climate gasses. You won't save the planet with $50K cars. That is the real issue that Tesla and the other carmakers need to solve.

I don't see how the car discussed in this thread is an imitation of a Tesla. Tesla doesn't really offer a comparable vehicle yet.
Privileged early adopters willing and able to drop $50K+ on a car are. The premise of the video is that the point of EVs is to reduce the emission of climate gasses. You won't save the planet with $50K cars. That is the real issue that Tesla and the other carmakers need to solve.
The Model 3 will be available for $35,000 once all of the people who are willing to pay $50,000 have theirs. That is a mass market price.
The Audi iNext has been touted as a Tesla killer but you are right, it doesn't compare to a Tesla.

But whilst doing that pointing-fingers, calling it a sissy and saying its Mother is a Whore is also a strategy, right? :)
I did find the video an entertaining rant. (Not sure I heard the "whore" part.) You clearly were offended that he dare criticize the established auto makers.
I think the vlogger (and many other people) are frustrated that the established auto manufacturers have so far failed to offer any cars which are competitive to Tesla. I think most of us want to have a healthy marketplace with lots of compelling EVs.
While the iNext and Jaguar iPace are the best of the new offerings, they still don't come up to the Tesla in style, range, technology, etc.
They deserve criticism and ridicule. Hopefully their pathetic attempts at EVs will improve.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Also, anyone buying this Audi is buying first generation battery technology. Hoping there is no: 1) Phoenix heat related degradation, 2) VW Leaf rapid gate lower rate charging on long trips, or 3) long term battery degradation not covered by 1 or 2, that we know Tesla does not have.

Don't even get me started on the non-Tesla fast charging network here in the U.S....
Points 1 and 3 seem legit but the LEAF rapidgate-like concern is silly. The LEAF pack is completely passive and just heats up like an uninsulated oven that builds up heat from driving and charging but is slow to cool down.

The e-tron is said to charge to 80% which is about ~70 kWh in 30 minutes and the pack appears to have a substantial liquid cooling system.

The e-tron won’t begin to arrive in the US until late spring of next year which is when Electrify America plans to have much of their DC charging network up and running.

It's significantly lower than Hyundai Ioniq, that does 70kW into 28kWh battery, which is a 2.5C charge.
The Audi appears to have proper battery cooling also to allow great charging.
Battery cell design can be tuned across a spectrum of power vs energy density. Plugin hybrids and sub-30 kWh EV packs use cells designed for better power density at the expense of lower energy density. Why? Because they need to have adequate power out of an overall smaller pack. If your designing for a larger pack and driving range then energy density is usually considered more important in order to cram the pack into the car and keep per-kWh costs down.

The Porsche Taycan appears to break that pattern by apparently having a large ~90 kWh pack that is also very power dense. Nobody really knows how they are getting away with it yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Model 3 charges faster on a 120KW supercharger than the e-tron quttro on a 150 KW charger over the full 0-80% charging period.
I’d be surprised. Audi claims 0-80% in 30 minutes and we know the Model 3 takes a bit over 40 minutes to do that. Maybe the Model 3 can match or exceed the e-tron when plugged into a future Supercharger 3.0 station next year. In any case, the e-tron is more of a Model X competitor or really a Model Y competitor in the future.

The e-tron doesn’t directly compete with anything that Tesla is selling today although I suppose the X is somewhat comparable. I haven’t driven it but have seen it up close and sat inside. Seems like a pretty nice crossover/SUV. It has a different and more conventional interior and exterior design which some people may prefer. In that way, for some people, it may be better.

The e-tron’s charging ability seems comparable or slightly better than a Tesla today (based on Audi’s claims) although that could change when Tesla upgrades their Supercharging station hardware to 3.0. We don’t know for sure how much existing Tesla cars might be running into peak power limitations of the Supercharger hardware today vs limitations inherent cars themselves.

I’d be surprised. Audi claims 0-80% in 30 minutes and we know the Model 3 takes a bit over 40 minutes to do that. Maybe the Model 3 can match or exceed the e-tron when plugged into a future Supercharger 3.0 station next year. In any case, the e-tron is more of a Model X competitor or really a Model Y competitor in the future.

The e-tron’s charging ability seems comparable or slightly better than a Tesla today (based on Audi’s claims) although that could change when Tesla upgrades their Supercharging station hardware to 3.0. We don’t know for sure how much existing Tesla cars might be running into peak power limitations of the Supercharger hardware today vs limitations inherent cars themselves.
IMHO, the Model 3 LR has headroom to increase the peak charging rate. Tesla has improved the battery cooling system vs S/X and it can maintain 115-120kW continuously until at least 50% SOC. Looking at the charging data from ABRP, the 100 pack in the S & X has a similar amount of headroom and performance today.

Compared to the e-Tron, the Model 3 LR may be able to charge more miles of range in the same time due to its higher driving efficiency, even with today's Superchargers. This is likely to be more pronounced at high speed on interstate highways. A "race" down I-5 in California with the same max cruise control setting would be interesting once there are high power DCFCs installed for the e-Tron to use. This should be possible by this time next year.

Reactions: Jeff N
IMHO, the Model 3 LR has headroom to increase the peak charging rate. Tesla has improved the battery cooling system vs S/X and it can maintain 115-120kW continuously until at least 50% SOC. Looking at the charging data from ABRP, the 100 pack in the S & X has a similar amount of headroom and performance today.

Compared to the e-Tron, the Model 3 LR may be able to charge more miles of range in the same time due to its higher driving efficiency, even with today's Superchargers. This is likely to be more pronounced at high speed on interstate highways. A "race" down I-5 in California with the same max cruise control setting would be interesting once there are high power DCFCs installed for the e-Tron to use. This should be possible by this time next year.
The problem here is the usual with Audi and other Tesla killers in that we are comparing a real Tesla which you can buy and drive with press releases.

I just invite you to do a google image search for etron. Better do it after lunch.

Naming EVs like this just shows the inner feelings about electric vehicles of the Audi guys. I mean, come on. How can a large company like this with hundreds of marketing gurus on the pay roll come up with something like this.
Too bad Audi didn't do a Google search before they decided on that name... or did they?

I just invite you to do a google image search for etron. Better do it after lunch.

Naming EVs like this just shows the inner feelings about electric vehicles of the Audi guys. I mean, come on. How can a large company like this with hundreds of marketing gurus on the pay roll come up with something like this.
So you’re admitting that Audi’s design is sleek?

sleek Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

adjective: Smooth, usually curved and shiny...

• Funny
Reactions: tescroft
Audi has started to run commercials for its e-tron in german TV.
Oh and they now officially claim 400+km of range in WLTP.

It kinda looks like that thing might actually be available by the end of the year.
Feels almost unreal after so many years of prototypes and broken promises to finally see a german manufacturer roll out a genuine EV and treating it almost like they`re actually trying to sell it.