Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi E-Tron Sportback digital matrix LED light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP,

I am curious what your motivation is here. Pretty much every post you make (I looked) is either linking to some other car companies EV, or showing tesla shortcomings.

Nothing wrong with that, but I get confused by people that visit one brand website only to bring up competitors, or disparage that brand. Do you have a tesla you dont like, or were you burned by tesla at some point or something?

valore.JPG

Given Tesla's exceptionally strong integration of its autopliot and location data with many other subsystems, I have been surprised that they haven't done something like this with their lighting. Probably something behinds the scenes like engineering resource prioritization or cost provides an answer. I really geek out over some of the stuff the EU manufacturers are doing there.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
OP,

I am curious what your motivation is here. Pretty much every post you make (I looked) is either linking to some other car companies EV, or showing tesla shortcomings.

Nothing wrong with that, but I get confused by people that visit one brand website only to bring up competitors, or disparage that brand. Do you have a tesla you dont like, or were you burned by tesla at some point or something?

View attachment 567707
Agreed, a definite pattern of passive aggressive behaviour.

I think he probably can’t cope with the fact that his favourite German car makers just aren’t very good at EVs right now.

I actually used to like some of his EV favs but now I’m tired of hearing about them, so great work buddy.

I only own lots of TLSA stock.

Must make research on our enemies and address Tesla shortcomings to get them fixed asap.
Probably the best thing you can do for Tesla (your stock value AND promoting the vehicles) is to give people test rides, answer questions about owner ship (such as over night charging) Actually let your friends & family drive your car?

Keep up on any local events promoting EVs and take your car and give rides.

Write letter about your suggestions and drop off at your local service center - include a reply address and ask for a reply, if you think helpful to know. I guess you might use Email as well. Consider a short article for you local paper, if you have one.

Audi R&D for head light research? or did Bosch or Hella develop this ??

Do we need to test range at night?
i.e. How much power do these lights use??

Head lights - here in the US were sadly neglected for decades. EU makers often had better lights.

Like any headlights, I doubt the power consumption on these will be in any way negligible. And frustratingly lot of the reason EU does lighting better is because NHTSA regulations tie up any advances on that front in the US, the headlights discussed here for instance simply won't be allowed in the US because of regulations. Which is too bad cause these things are really cool; here's another video going over them in action (headlights are talked about and demonstrated at approximately the 1:00-300 markers):

And as a reply to others, I won't speak for the OP, but one reason I post pretty much exclusively in this forum is because I'm excited about EVs in general, and as much as I love Tesla (and I do!) there are a lot of interesting cars and tech worth talking about beyond Tesla, and there is always room in the marketplace for quality vehicles. Don't be so insecure about your favorite vehicle that you need to go attacking people for simply having conversations about something else, especially in a forum who's purpose is to foster those conversations, its silly.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Old news with Audis, cca. 2016 a playboy gave me a ride in his A8 and we saw them in action, pretty darn impressive, the road was lit like in daytime full high beams into incoming traffic with black squares around the incoming cars.

• Informative
Reactions: wreighven
Old news with Audis, cca. 2016 a playboy gave me a ride in his A8 and we saw them in action, pretty darn impressive, the road was lit like in daytime full high beams into incoming traffic with black squares around the incoming cars.

The naming convention makes it confusing, but these are a slight upgrade. The Matrix LED headlights, which are likely what you saw, have been an AUDI feature for a bit now are neat in themselves. But starting with the 2020 e-tron Sportback and likely future prestige/premium Audi models, these are DIGITAL matrix headlights. Where the previous headlights where essentially blacking out portions of the beam by using separate modules, this is basically a projector in your headlights.

Like any headlights, I doubt the power consumption on these will be in any way negligible. And frustratingly lot of the reason EU does lighting better is because NHTSA regulations tie up any advances on that front in the US, the headlights discussed here for instance simply won't be allowed in the US because of regulations. Which is too bad cause these things are really cool; here's another video going over them in action (headlights are talked about and demonstrated at approximately the 1:00-300 markers):

Those lights are awesome. I didn't even know they existed 5 minutes ago and now I have to have them on my next car.

Reactions: Brando and ICUDoc
Like any headlights, I doubt the power consumption on these will be in any way negligible.
Power consumption is 11W in the low beem (normal night time driving) and 24W in the full high beem (nighttime driving with no oncoming traffic where cars get blanked out).
That's about as much as the radio or screen or something does consume. LED lights are super efficent, no comparison to ancient lightbulbs or Xenon lamps.

Probably the best thing you can do for Tesla (your stock value AND promoting the vehicles) is to give people test rides, answer questions about owner ship (such as over night charging) Actually let your friends & family drive your car?

Keep up on any local events promoting EVs and take your car and give rides.

Write letter about your suggestions and drop off at your local service center - include a reply address and ask for a reply, if you think helpful to know. I guess you might use Email as well. Consider a short article for you local paper, if you have one.

I took this OPs comments to be firmly "tongue in cheek" on their referenced comment. The posting pattern is the exact opposite of someone who would be financially incentivized to post things about tesla. One would not attempt to sell their home by pointing out how great every house in the neighborhood is beside theirs, for example.