Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article on Model S fans vs. Prius fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also technical innovation, styling, and fun-to-drive. It was in a tie the "most fun" car I've driven up to the Model S.

OK..I've never driven Prius, so I can't judge for myself. I'm glad you enjoyed both cars. Thanks for your perspective. (I currently can't drive at all, so I'm envious of everyone these days!)

:smile:

Also technical innovation, styling, and fun-to-drive. It was in a tie the "most fun" car I've driven up to the Model S.

As with lorih, I have never driven a Prius before. I will say you're the first person I've ever seen say that it's a fun car (let alone "most fun"), however, and I really do not find the car interesting in any way.

As with lorih, I have never driven a Prius before. I will say you're the first person I've ever seen say that it's a fun car (let alone "most fun"), however, and I really do not find the car interesting in any way.

I also considered it one of the most fun cars I'd driven. My Model S puts it to shame, but there are many people that feel that way. You have to put "fun" into perspective, but what Prius did to the auto industry is huge, and those of us who, like us here with Tesla now, knew it represented something important and special. If not for the massive adoption of hybrids, the step up to widespread acceptance of EVs wouldn't be the big step it is now, it would have been a monumental one...just ask GM and Toyota....

One feature of the Prius that would be cool on the MS is the solar-powered fan. My collegaue's Prius has a tiny solar panel array on the roof, and when it powers up, the fan vents the car. Smart design, in that it will only be powered when it might be useful. Probably adds some weight, of course. I know that Tesla App allows you to do even more, but its nice not to even think about it.

One feature of the Prius that would be cool on the MS is the solar-powered fan. My collegaue's Prius has a tiny solar panel array on the roof, and when it powers up, the fan vents the car. Smart design, in that it will only be powered when it might be useful.

Last time I checked that was a $1500 option and it weighs so much that you can't get it with certain other options.

"Fun to drive"

If you came from a bicycle... :)

Of course it's a personal perspective and can't be argued with.

I could list a dozen cars I have had in the last 15 years that drive circle around a Prius in the "fun to drive" category, but that, of course, is just a personal opinion.

One feature of the Prius that would be cool on the MS is the solar-powered fan.
Except in the literal sense I disagree. And, if I think about it some more, I might disagree in the literal sense as well.

I'm not a fan on over-priced, often-broken gimmicks that offer far less value than their cost. This is where I concur with others somewhat in the concern about the Model S door handles.

Except in the literal sense I disagree. And, if I think about it some more, I might disagree in the literal sense as well.

I'm not a fan on over-priced, often-broken gimmicks that offer far less value than their cost. This is where I concur with others somewhat in the concern about the Model S door handles.

I see where you're coming from, and in its current iteration on the Prius I agree that it's highly imperfect (too heavy, too expensive). It does work suprisingly well, though, and should be one of the simpler mechanisms in the car, relatively resistant to breaking down. If the technology improved in regards to weight savings (and efficiency), this might be nice to have for some people. In areas where temps can top 100F, even a 5-6 degree change could make a significant difference in comfort. I'm sure it doesn't make much difference in terms of battery use since the MS AC is so efficient, but I like the idea of not having to use battery power to cool the car a bit. Wouldn't pay $1500 for it, though :)

Ten years ago the Prius was very cool new technology.
If you spend some time to understand how it works it is actually a really beautiful piece of engineering: PSD and Graham's Toyota Prius
I spent my first few years of ownership fascinated by it and enjoyed learning to drive it efficiently.

Now however, it is just another overcomplicated ICE with too many parts when compared to an electric drivetrain.

Subsequent rewrites and those who comment are starting to sound like the guy at Teslive that got booed:

The study found that Tesla has 29 percent fewer female owners than the average luxury brand, 10 percent fewer than the average electric car nameplate, and around 14 percent fewer than two other popular choices in the luxury segment, the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz CLS.
Tesla owners also expressed “love” for their cars, with “overall vehicle experience” at a rate 20 percent higher than other plug-in electric car buyers. Analysts believe this is because Tesla pitches the Model S as both an electric car and a performance car.

Read more at Why Men Love Their Tesla Model S Electric Cars