Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April 30th Event SPECULATION: 100kWh Battery + 2.8s 0-60 Model S to be announced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't Elon say the event is NOT a car product? Why are we guessing at car products? Also pretty sure he also said that there would be no more increases in range or major hardware updates for at least a year.

Last thing to add, Tesla follows model years based on real years. So a Model S P85D made in December is still 2014 model year. So you can say it came out at end of 2014 model year and just in time for 2015 model year, not half way.

Another point to mention- the Model X is right around the corner now. To get decent range for their Performance/flagship version, it simply cannot have an 85kW battery. That means it would have to utilize a 100-105kW battery pack. Most already assume this, however.

With that said, since the X is near production- those battery packs are likely finalized and ready to go. In order to streamline the Model X release, especially since the X and the S will share the same production line, would be to start transitioning the line to use the new battery packs and all associated hardware that goes with them. That way, when the Model X goes into full production- the Model S will have field tested the new higher capacity battery packs and the production line will already be using them. It makes totally sense for it to happen- announce it April 30th, take orders- delivery first one in the Mid June-Mid July time frame, only a few months before the Model X's hit the line.

I am gonna be pissed but what can I do. I just wish Elon would have skipped the P85D altogether, but he definitely knew what he was doing.. he knew I would want the top dog right now, today- so I bought it.

The guy above me said it perfectly, what if Audi's S7 kept getting faster every few months? Or the BMW M5 or E63 AMG got faster every couple months instead of every few years when they drop a new version? Ultimately, this method of doing business is doing us a disservice and will hurt resale values over the long term. Thing about the Model S 40kW, 60kW, 60D, P85, etc- all of which had significant resale value hits when those models were discontinued.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't Elon say the event is NOT a car product? Why are we guessing at car products? Also pretty sure he also said that there would be no more increases in range or major hardware updates for at least a year.

Last thing to add, Tesla follows model years based on real years. So a Model S P85D made in December is still 2014 model year. So you can say it came out at end of 2014 model year and just in time for 2015 model year, not half way.

Yes we know its NOT a car product, that's assumed as we all know he said that. It's likely a home battery, or something I would love even more- a piece of hardware that can allow you to backfeed power from the Model S battery pack back into your home. Imagine an 85kW battery that you can feed your home in a power outage.. and its already in your garage! :)

I am specifically referring to his "Maybe it could be a warm up act for April 30th event" when he was discussing on Twitter about the Model S potentially getting to 2.8s 0-60

Why indeed? You can reverse this logic to say that since they did release the P85D it was because your imaginary soon to be released car does not exist.
Exactly. This is not atypical for this forum but this particular thread is more speculative than most. We go from posing a "what if" scenario to why Tesla would bother releasing the P85d given this speculative hypotheses, to people getting annoyed based on the potentially fictitious event, to people getting annoyed at the people getting annoyed...
ok, Now to join in, I think I would personally like to see the better part of a year before being obsoleted, again. I only got 8 months of P85+ time but I didn't buy it on the front end and to be honest I probably wouldn't have upgraded but for the AWD which was originally on my must have list. I've already convinced myself that I don't care about bigger batteries at this point, though if they were upgradable I might upgrade at some point. I'm personally hoping for a Tesla motorcycle. Or an electric boat! Can't wait.

Ultimately, this method of doing business is doing us a disservice and will hurt resale values over the long term. Thing about the Model S 40kW, 60kW, 60D, P85, etc- all of which had significant resale value hits when those models were discontinued.

I definitely agree that replacing a model with an improved model (cheaper, better, or some combination) hits the resale value of the old model. I understand it hurts to buy the latest and greatest, and then see something else you want. I don't mean to dismiss your concerns.

But the resale hit only comes if the new model is an improvement. I think the 40kWh is a great example - its value didn't go down when it was discontinued, it went up; people were selling those for near-60 prices. Because it wasn't replaced with anything better or cheaper. Discontinuing models isn't the problem; improving them is.

Even there, the biggest hit happens when the top dog is unseated - but that only happens once; all cars get upgrades; and resale value doesn't matter until you sell - add them all together, and none of this makes much of a difference unless you resell your Tesla after they have upgraded it but before another manufacturer would have upgraded it (actually even before then; those last few months before a new model comes out are killer). There is some hit to resale values doing business this way, but I don't think it's much different than what happens with gas cars, it's just that the big ouch comes sooner.

More importantly, the better Teslas and EVs get, the more people are going to want one - and Tesla can only scale their assembly line so fast. If EV adoption is like most types of technology, we are likely to hit a point where suddenly everybody wants one, but there is not enough capacity to build them all - then used ones are going to gain value. The best way to get this scenario to happen is to make everybody want an EV, and constantly building better ones and staying in the news until it's clear to even casual observers that EVs are better is the fastest way to make that happen.

I do not think Tesla should change their fast pace of innovation. My Roadster was long ago supplanted as the EV king by a faster, cheaper, more comfortable, 5-to-7-seat, high-tech, Supercharge-capable, AWD Model S. But it is still the same BLAST to drive that it was when I bought it, and I have no regrets at all about buying it. Not to mention I think the lost value is pretty comparable to that of, say, a Porsche 911 Cabrio which retailed for about exactly the same amount. It lost a lot when the Model S came out, but has held pretty well since then. In fact, with Tesla updating old models, it looks like the value is even going up a bit (we'll see for sure after the Roadster 3.0 announcement).

Last edited:
...or something I would love even more- a piece of hardware that can allow you to backfeed power from the Model S battery pack back into your home. Imagine an 85kW battery that you can feed your home in a power outage.. and its already in your garage! :)

Amen to that. Nissan spoke soo much about that but never released it here in the states. We'd love to have one for the Tesla. Never have to fear of blackouts anymore:) We'd buy it tomorrow if that was released!

Discontinuing isn't a problem as long as the replacement which is better costs more.

I wouldn't mind the introduction of P100D provided that those of us who just bought the kind of the hill are offered an upgrade to the bigger pack. The almost new packs coming out could be used for warranty replacements.

I'm not sure I get this thread.

You have two choices. Pick a car company that innovates more slowly, and have an imaginary sense of improved satisfaction because said car company innovates more slowly. Or, pick a car company that innovates more quickly and increases their performance lead among competitors at a faster rate.

If you pick the former, you're really no better off. Your car still hasn't improved. If you pick the latter, at least you have a sense of brand pride knowing that your car company's vehicle is not only King of the Hill, but just climbed even higher on that hill compared to other car companies.

If you want the best, I get it. That's human nature. Don't we all? If so, be prepared to pay for it, and don't blame the car company for innovating.

Cars are not investments and are the fastest depreciating tangible assets we'll ever own. Expensive cars depreciate even faster. Fact of life. Just enjoy the car. The fact that the P85D was announced before my shiny new P85 was even delivered doesn't make my car any less fun to drive.

Cool

I'm not sure I get this thread.

You have two choices. Pick a car company that innovates more slowly, and have an imaginary sense of improved satisfaction because said car company innovates more slowly. Or, pick a car company that innovates more quickly and increases their performance lead among competitors at a faster rate.

If you pick the former, you're really no better off. Your car still hasn't improved. If you pick the latter, at least you have a sense of brand pride knowing that your car company's vehicle is not only King of the Hill, but just climbed even higher on that hill compared to other car companies.

If you want the best, I get it. That's human nature. Don't we all? If so, be prepared to pay for it, and don't blame the car company for innovating.

Cars are not investments and are the fastest depreciating tangible assets we'll ever own. Expensive cars depreciate even faster. Fact of life. Just enjoy the car. The fact that the P85D was announced before my shiny new P85 was even delivered doesn't make my car any less fun to drive.

So at an event where Tesla will be unveiling a new product that's not a car, you think Tesla will unveil... a new car?

Ooookkkaayy.

I'll just chalk this up along with your other assertions that:
  • Gasoline cars can make peak power at any speed...
  • A P85D low on charge is slower than a P85...
  • The only difference between the P85D and 85D is software...

Seriously, what do you do for a living?

the fact that Elon didn't merely comment about 2.8 seconds, but wrote about "Accel g>1.1 means car is literally faster than falling" seems to me suggestive that Elon wasn't merely off the cuff speculating that it would be cool if there one day could be a Tesla that could hit 2.8 seconds too, but rather that he was thinking about an already designed vehicle he is familiar with and some detailed ways he likes to talk about other specs he knows about it ("literally faster than falling"). I don't think a 2.8 second Model S reveal by summer is a sure thing, but I think it's more likely than not.

So at an event where Tesla will be unveiling a new product that's not a car, you think Tesla will unveil... a new car?

Ooookkkaayy.

read the tweets in the first post, and you'll see Elon teasing the possibility of a reveal of a Model S that can do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds as a warm up act to the 4/30 product that's not a car event.

Perhaps all the P85Ds and S85Ds were really built with 100kW batteries, but haven't yet been enabled for 100kW operation via software. (There were no real 40kW battery, right? They were 60s, limited by software to 40.)

That would explain the lower horsepower concerns. It would also blow away the concerns about the originally stated range and the actual range. The E packs have different taper rates than the D packs. What else might be different about them?

This could also explain why the S85Ds were able to improve upon their stated 0-60 performance so significantly with the recent firmware update.

How cool would that be if we all suddenly found out we had much more battery power than we thought we did?

1. Tesla hints about something new and cool.
2. People go wild speculating about what it might be.
3. Tesla announces something new and cool, but people are disappointed because it's not as big as their imaginations.

Rinse & repeat. It's what we do.

Hey, are you implying that speculating that everyone driving a D has a bigger battery than they expected is wild? :)

As if I didn't know it! I was mainly fanning the flames of wild speculation and imagination. I don't really think we're all going to be thrilled with a crazy announcement on April 30, and thus I won't be disappointed.

Ooookkkaayy.

1) Yes, gasoline cars can be making their peak HP at any speed, it's all dependent on what transmission and gear you are in to maximize peak HP. Unlike the Model S that can only offer peak power under 30MPH, from there it tapers off.

2) It feels slower than a P85 when SOC is low. Not from a dead stop, but when already moving. Confirmed this again with a loaner P85+.

3) Other than website illustrations, there's no physical proof, but of course I could be wrong- who cares? It's called speculation.

What do I do for a living? Does it matter and why do you care, are you going to start asking me for a job like my neighbors already do LOL

1. Tesla hints about something new and cool.
2. People go wild speculating about what it might be.
3. Tesla announces something new and cool, but people are disappointed because it's not as big as their imaginations.

As long as it allows people to buy the king-of-the-litter, halo, top-dog product it will be cool, because, you know, it's your car that decides who you are.

I think the kick off to the April 30th event will just be "Oh hey, real quick- performance version gets 100kw battery, now offers 0-60 in 2.8 seconds- here's a quick demo of how many faster it is then those 5 month old P85Ds we sold you"

then goes on to show the home battery system and potential SolarCity collaboration (which spikes SCTY stock to make options players rich) and start tying in SolarCity with Tesla more. I wouldn't be surprised to see SolarCity on the solar canopies they are installing at various superchargers either.

so yes, different product line but with a warmup showing a larger batter pack P car.