Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April 30th Event SPECULATION: 100kWh Battery + 2.8s 0-60 Model S to be announced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News as of this morning: Tesla Utility-Scale Battery

We basically all knew what would be announced on April 30th anyways, but in an email to investors, Tesla put an end to the anticipation. The email includes this statement:

“We will introduce the Tesla home battery and a very large utility scale battery.”

Tesla’s Jeffrey Evanson, head of investor relations, stated this of the automaker’s home battery setup “[we] will explain the advantages of our solutions and why past battery options were not compelling.”

Bloomberg reached out to Tesla for comment. Khobi Brooklyn, a Tesla spokeswoman, remarked “we’ll share more information next week.”

I think we can stop speculating now :biggrin:

It doesn't address the "warm up act" to the April 30th event... Speculation can continue ;)

I personally didn't read much, if anything, into the comment within Elon's twitter referring to a "warm-up act". To me, he was just daydreaming about getting 0-60 under 3 sec. and was throwing it out there as potential "wow factor" to get some attention before the unrelated-to-cars announcement on 4/30. But I digress - please feel free to speculate away! :cool:

I don't think P85D owners have anything to worry about this month. Then again, I don't think a P100D would be any reason to be upset, unless it came in at almost the same price as a P85D (and it won't).

If I had bought a P85D (and I didn't, I ordered a 70D), it would have been for the performance the car has. Tesla has even improved performance for some AFTER they had purchased - unheard of previously. A P100D doesn't make a P85D any slower, any shorter range, etc.

The only thing it could detract from is the sense of owning the bleeding edge of technology. But that's the thing with bleeding edges of technology - they quickly turn into mere "cutting edge"!

If you bought it from a car performance perspective, it shouldn't be bothersome. If you bought it from a high tech toy perspective, your dissatisfaction probably stems from treating a $130k car like it's an iPhone.

Only a couple days left until the event, and Tesla has already announced it will be about the home battery system... So no surprises there, maybe that leaves room to mention another battery.. The one that will be in the Model X and will replace the 85kWh pack, as well as allow the Model S to achieve a 2.8s 0-60 time?

I just had an Aha! moment... So, this is about home batteries that contain different cells than new car batteries. There is this problem of what to do with used car batteries after they are EOL-ed. Using them as stationary storage seems like a no brainer but someone still has to repack and check them. What if tesla announces thy will buy back your 8 years old car battery or deduct its worth from new battery price? What if they announce a program when they do it upfront - they sell a new battery with used price already deducted and you oblige you will return the battery in 8 years (if not sooner).

In this way you own the battery but you also pay quite a bit less upfront. This could be a big way how to reduce model 3 buying price.

I just had an Aha! moment... So, this is about home batteries that contain different cells than new car batteries. There is this problem of what to do with used car batteries after they are EOL-ed. Using them as stationary storage seems like a no brainer but someone still has to repack and check them. What if tesla announces thy will buy back your 8 years old car battery or deduct its worth from new battery price? What if they announce a program when they do it upfront - they sell a new battery with used price already deducted and you oblige you will return the battery in 8 years (if not sooner).

In this way you own the battery but you also pay quite a bit less upfront. This could be a big way how to reduce model 3 buying price.

While this might sound reasonable at first, it's completely impractical. There is no way Tesla can essentially invest in used batteries like that for an upfront cost reduction. What about the vehicles that will be totaled? No one's going to write Tesla a check for the difference when that happens. Plus they'd have to gamble that they picked an appropriate "used" value over 8 years.... and that's not going to happen either.

Would be millions to subsidize such a thing with no return in sight for 8+ years. No investor would go for that.

I do agree, however, that they should buy used batteries for use in stationary storage where they would have extended life, however. Doing it as an upfront cost reduction doesn't seem to make any sense, though.