Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non-employee get to configure their Model 3 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope not either, but I wouldn't be surprised. "Production Hell" doesn't mean smooth sailing.

AFAIK right now they aren't really in production. Hand fitting parts on an assembly line while you work on getting the robots running for volume production is not "in production" to me but more of Beta period.... even if the cars are final assembly until the first car goes through the real production process and is checked for errors and defects then any estimates right now are not worth much.

I can confirm that the delivery date also slipped for employees who did not reserve. I have a relative that didn't config yet and now his 1st production date is the same as mine, oct-dec

If that's the case, we can all expect a bump in our delivery dates soon, maybe by several months. It will also effect how many M3 reservation holders would qualify for full fed tax credit.

AFAIK right now they aren't really in production. Hand fitting parts on an assembly line while you work on getting the robots running for volume production is not "in production" to me but more of Beta period.... even if the cars are final assembly until the first car goes through the real production process and is checked for errors and defects then any estimates right now are not worth much.
I would define assembling sellable vehicles as "in production". Certainly there's grey area in there since they are going to employees only. Part of the whole "we are doing our own thing, not what the industry is" thing, I guess. They are certainly not in mass-production.

I would define assembling sellable vehicles as "in production". Certainly there's grey area in there since they are going to employees only. Part of the whole "we are doing our own thing, not what the industry is" thing, I guess. They are certainly not in mass-production.

Until they are in actual mass assembly I don't personally consider them to be in production. Technically though you are correct, even if the cars were being driven down the line with horses pulling them and workers putting them together with hand tools they are "in production".

Tesla have quoted incredibly ambitious scaling on this car and they are skipping certain phases of the normal testing done in going to full production in order to achieve it.

We'll see soon if they are successful or not. 5,000 vehicles rolling off every month in less than 120 days if memory serves.

I can confirm that the delivery date also slipped for employees who did not configure. I have a relative that didn't config yet and now his 1st production date is the same as mine, oct-dec
Was he asked to configure and decided to wait for whatever reason and others that knew right away got in front of him? Or has he not even been asked yet?

want to be surprised with an early delivery versus being disappointed with a later delivery
There you go, surprising me again.
Back in 3/2016 a fair number of people proclaimed that a realistic delivery date was 2019. You may want to adopt that view, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I would also suggest you take the current delivery estimate at face value and not misconstrue it as a promise.

There you go, surprising me again.
Back in 3/2016 a fair number of people proclaimed that a realistic delivery date was 2019. You may want to adopt that view, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I would also suggest you take the current delivery estimate at face value and not misconstrue it as a promise.
I would rather wait a few extra months and get a properly assembled vehicle rather than have the assembly line "rushed" and deliver a vehicle with imperfections (if that makes sense).

Reactions: tgal and DR61