Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model S Mods Go Here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boot / Trunk protector

HK Model S owners,

I will be getting a protective mat made for the trunk and probably the frunk. These mats fold into the trunk when not in use and when need the you unfold them over the bumper. I have used this mat to protect the bumper from heavy luggage, bicycles, strollers and other items.

You may have also seen these in use by the hotel airport pickup cars (The Peninsula) and the airport service cars. I got mine made at the same place as these service cars get theirs made. (Open to other sources as well.)

Pictured below is the one from my previous car. Please see the second photo and note that the finish of the edges on the bottom of the mat that you can't see are very rough but sturdy.

I recall the previous price was around HK$1400, I expect the Tesla to be more since it is a larger mat and I will also have it made to cover the back of the rear seat when folded down.

If anyone else is interested in getting one of these mats, and possibly also a frunk mat, please PM me.

02413Lexusboot.JPG
boot_mat_detail.JPG

From the TED event several people asked where to get some of the items. Here is the short list with the links.
center cap_wheel_band_003D.jpg

Rim Protection: Wheel Bands from RimPro-Tec. I got mine from Amazon, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Bands-R...F8&qid=1416204731&sr=8-1&keywords=wheel+bands

Pricing varies between US$65-$80 without shipping.
These are also available at EVannex for US$109

http://evannex.com/products/wheel-bands

For additional information on my experience using these see the posting “group buy – RIM protectors”
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/34956-Group-Buy-Rim-Protectors/page12 post #120.

Lights:
Front Lighted T
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/classifieds.php?p[mshow]=listing&p[id]=tesla-lighted-t-32687

lightedt_F_03.jpg
lightedt_F_04.jpg

Controller for front T if you prefer to have more control of the lighting. This is not needed if you wire directly to the headlight circuit.
http://www.oznium.com/12v-remote-dimmer-strobe-switch (Made in HK)

Rear Lighted T
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/classifieds.php?listing=rear-lighted-t-122092
lightedt_r_01.jpg
lightedt_r_02.jpg

Trunk light
http://www.oznium.com/ultra-thin-light-bar
trunk06-001.JPG
trunk07-001.JPG

Note: I have no affiliation with Oznium – they make the lighted “T”s, the controllers and the trunk lights. I do like their products and their engineering and support staff is based here in HK – buy local!

Three quick notes:

1. I installed these items myself. The trunk light is very simple, the lighted “T”s take a little more effort. I would be happy to help others install them in HK. Perhaps a group install. Alternatively a shop that does high quality sound system installations should be able to do these installations.
  2. Installing these items requires a few additional bits and pieces like connectors, auto quality trim tape, wire, etc. I have enough extra of these items to install a few more “T”s. See lighted “T” instructions for additional details.
  3. For RHD cars some of the steps and connections are different versus instructions in #2. I will be posting these differences under the appropriate thread in the forum. Or contact me direct.

Last edited:
From the TED event several people asked where to get some of the items. Here is the short list with the links.
View attachment 63874

Rim Protection: Wheel Bands from RimPro-Tec. I got mine from Amazon, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Bands-R...F8&qid=1416204731&sr=8-1&keywords=wheel+bands

Pricing varies between US$65-$80 without shipping.
These are also available at EVannex for US$109

http://evannex.com/products/wheel-bands

For additional information on my experience using these see the posting “group buy – RIM protectors”
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/34956-Group-Buy-Rim-Protectors/page12 post #120.

Lights:
Front Lighted T
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/classifieds.php?p[mshow]=listing&p[id]=tesla-lighted-t-32687

View attachment 63876View attachment 63877

Controller for front T if you prefer to have more control of the lighting. This is not needed if you wire directly to the headlight circuit.
http://www.oznium.com/12v-remote-dimmer-strobe-switch (Made in HK)

Rear Lighted T
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/classifieds.php?listing=rear-lighted-t-122092
View attachment 63878View attachment 63879

Trunk light
http://www.oznium.com/ultra-thin-light-bar
View attachment 63881View attachment 63882
Note: I have no affiliation with Oznium – they make the lighted “T”s, the controllers and the trunk lights. I do like their products and their engineering and support staff is based here in HK – buy local!

Three quick notes:

1. I installed these items myself. The trunk light is very simple, the lighted “T”s take a little more effort. I would be happy to help others install them in HK. Perhaps a group install. Alternatively a shop that does high quality sound system installations should be able to do these installations.
  2. Installing these items requires a few additional bits and pieces like connectors, auto quality trim tape, wire, etc. I have enough extra of these items to install a few more “T”s. See lighted “T” instructions for additional details.
  3. For RHD cars some of the steps and connections are different versus instructions in #2. I will be posting these differences under the appropriate thread in the forum. Or contact me direct.

Beautifully done!

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I expect to get my Tesla delivery in mid December.

Just wondering what Tesla will provide / I need to arrange:
(a) fob holders - I read somewhere that Tesla provides them with the keys.
(b) screen protector - I read that there are two layers of screen protector; the top one should be removed and the bottom retained and not necessary to buy seperately.
(c) floor mats - I understand those from the US websites don't fit in the HK right hand drives.
(d) trunk mat which protects the bumper when moving luggage.

Also is Orix (finance) and Liberty (insurance) the best combo if I have 60% NCD?

Anything else I should arrange?

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I expect to get my Tesla delivery in mid December.

Hi, and welcome.

(a) fob holders - I read somewhere that Tesla provides them with the keys.

You'll just get the bare key fob with the car. No protectors (or at least I didn't get any).

These ones come highly recommended: Silicone FobPockets - Abstract Ocean

(b) screen protector - I read that there are two layers of screen protector; the top one should be removed and the bottom retained and not necessary to buy seperately.

I wouldn't bother, but they are available from several places.

(c) floor mats - I understand those from the US websites don't fit in the HK right hand drives.
(d) trunk mat which protects the bumper when moving luggage.

Correct. The car comes with basic fabric mats, but if you want something for all-weather, or more protection, there are some places they can be custom ordered from.

Also is Orix (finance) and Liberty (insurance) the best combo if I have 60% NCD?

So long as you have 60% NCB, the insurance pricing from different providers seem comparable. I use Liberty.

Finance really seems to depend on your personal situation and preferences.

See this thread for details: Financing and insurance in Hong Kong

Anything else I should arrange?

Autotoll tag (when you get the car paperwork): Autotoll tag installation

Oh, and there is a whatsapp group for local owners. PM me your phone number if you want in.

There's also an upcoming rally december 14th: Model S rally - Page 6

All,

On item D for the trunk mat - rear bumper protector question from SK1 I am getting quotes next week. I will also be covering the rear seats so they are protected when they are folded down to move big items. Will post quote afterwards. The big difference for the fabricator is if he makes a one-off unit for me or a template that he can reuse. Any other interest?

EBILL

My primary concern is the protection of the external paintwork, primarily the bumper.

I am not overly concerned about the base of the trunk although there must ofcourse be some overlap.

To keep costs down, perhaps the base of the trunk could be rubber with the flap extending out of the car of the more expensive and better looking and padded material?
All,

On item D for the trunk mat - rear bumper protector question from SK1 I am getting quotes next week. I will also be covering the rear seats so they are protected when they are folded down to move big items. Will post quote afterwards. The big difference for the fabricator is if he makes a one-off unit for me or a template that he can reuse. Any other interest?

SK1,

Let me ask the fabricator next week if he uses different materials. I'll also spec out only a trunk and bumper protection version versus the full version.

Note 1: I have the XPEL wrap on my bumper, but it won't protect against bicycle parts, luggage being slid across the bumper, etc. This protection mat worked without fail on my previous cars.
Note 2: The cars used by the "W" hotel are currently using a rug that they unroll over the back of the car. Doesn't look as professional as the mats used by Swire in the airport service cars.

Mark, do you want to move this thread to the "all mods go here"?

Concept: In-Car Surveillance IP Cam Combo

BatteryPoweredNetcam.jpg

I have always liked the idea of having an IP cam in the car. This is very useful (if possible) because if there is a police nearby wanting to give you a ticket, you can use your app to honk him, open the pano roof, this and that to signal that you are in fact nearby, while at the same time, you run like crazy back to the car trying to save yourself another HK$480 fine.

Or maybe you just feel it is cool to be able to look around the environment from inside your car and get a comfort feeling that your car is still around while you are away on a business trip.

My first idea was to connect a IP cam which can get its power from the USB port in the Model S while the car is 'off', but soon I found out that this is not possible. So to make it work, the power supply for the IP cam must come from somewhere.

Then I found this, Do It Yourself: Battery-Powered WiFi Netcam | Toms Blog at McLaren Labs . A rather easy DIY battery-powered WiFi Netcam/IP cam. Do read the article for specific details, but this part of the problem about power supply is solved, and you get the turns and rotations which can be controlled using apps or browsers on any computers or smartphones.

What's missing now is the connection between the IP cam and your phone -- you need a modem connected to LAN. Since the cam itself has only a limited range for its WiFi capability, you will not be able to connect the IP cam with a modem unless your car (with the IP cam inside it) sits nearby the modem. So, to provide a 'modem' that moves with your car going anywhere you go, you need a smartphone with at least 3G enabled on WiFi hotspot.

So, here goes the route of connection.

Battery-powered WiFi IP cam <--> WiFi hotspot on 3/4G smartphone as server <--> Smartphone / PC at home or office

How do make such connections? Well, here's a tutorial by Zedomax, who gets High On Android everyday!

I have tried all steps except for the battery-powering the IP cam, proof is here on my blog: Locky's English Playground: 02-May-2014

If you have tried and you like this idea, do leave a message and let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
l3xh, just wait until the car has autopilot: You will need to make a camera that detects the police, and in that case drives the car off somewhere else.

I suggest you consider having a solar panel on the parcel shelf, connected to the battery for the camera and phone connection. That way, when your car is off, daylight can keep it charged up (unless you are in a garage of course)

l3xh, just wait until the car has autopilot: You will need to make a camera that detects the police, and in that case drives the car off somewhere else.

I suggest you consider having a solar panel on the parcel shelf, connected to the battery for the camera and phone connection. That way, when your car is off, daylight can keep it charged up (unless you are in a garage of course)

I've always loved the idea of solar panels, however, this is so far the cheapest yet most effective DIY combo I have for now.

I've always loved the idea of solar panels, however, this is so far the cheapest yet most effective DIY combo I have for now.

I am just talking about a smaller panel, maybe 1 square foot, to top off the battery. You might be parking somewhere for an extended time, and your battery would otherwise run out of power. As long as you are outside, that solar panel would keep you going.

But most car parks are indoor, no sunlight.

As I wrote "As long as you are outside". If you park inside for an extended period of time AND you are not plugged in, then there is not much you can do - apart from having a very high capacity battery. Airport car park 2 - the cheapest one - is outside only. Street parking, and so on.

I want a side camera for my car. It's just too hard to judge the curb and low obstacles.

Since this is relevant not just for Hong Kong, I posted it here:

Passenger side camera - see curb and hidden obstacles

Comments, ideas welcome. Let me know if others are interested in my findings, or want the same. The more people that support it, the higher priority I will give the project.

I'm interested but scare of ugly wiring all over the place. I visited the link cameras are required underneath side mirrors does it mean the car has to be ripped apart during installation? I start to worry about the width of MS, being only slightly less than Range Rover and probably widest among all others, as I have to drive through Tai Tam dam frequently.