Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The road to Model S — and road from here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month, after three years in a white MYP, I sold it and bought a babied, rattle-free 2019 Model S P100D with 26,700 miles. Yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway:

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 1.31.00 PM.png

I could list my boring "reasons" for this decision, but most reasons boil down to emotions (as David Hume pointed out), in this case passion for a sleek, ultra-high-performance EV. The practical, trouble-free MYP inspired zero passion, and any excitement at all cooled further as white Model Y's overran my city.

Changes to date are minor — chrome delete, front license delete, 30% tint, integrated phone charger, etc. — but I can't help lusting after other upgrades. After all, passion and mods are two sides of the same, um, addiction. My only known used-car problem is half-dead DRLs, so two new headlights, the "F" version, await installation. I'm also thinking about spacers, Ntuitive lowering links and control arms, and up-sized 255 & 275/35ZR-21 Michelins for the gorgeous stock wheels. The seller had installed four new z-rated "Sailuns" (Anyone heard of them?) since the previous tires were trashed on the inside edges.

I'm happy to join the MS community, where I'm eager to learn more about this incredible car. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Craig

That's welcome confirmation from a guy with 10,200 likes. I'm super happy with the driving dynamics and apparent build quality (other than headlights).

Tesla service said I've got MCU2 in this pre-raven car (1/3/19 build date). Makes sense since the interface is quick with most of the functionality of the MYP. I've got neither sunroof nor light interior, but I'll take 2nd-best for the money — which had to be $150k in 2019. I paid $10K under current Kelly Bluebook.

Loving the stalks!

That's welcome confirmation from a guy with 10,200 likes. I'm super happy with the driving dynamics and apparent build quality (other than headlights).

Tesla service said I've got MCU2 in this pre-raven car (1/3/19 build date). Makes sense since the interface is quick with most of the functionality of the MYP. I've got neither sunroof nor light interior, but I'll take 2nd-best for the money — which had to be $150k in 2019. I paid $10K under current Kelly Bluebook.

Loving the stalks!
Other things that make it a possible keeper.

Wheel, not yoke.

Leather interior.

More usable IC and center screen.

A more classic looking front and rear that sets you apart from the M3/MT masses.

Non black headliner possibly

Lighter glass roof

All those things, yes (or at least most). Also: Formerly the fastest production car in the world. The only downside I've found is it can make you and your friends sick in the twisties. Never encountered that in multiple (BMW) M3's.

Some thoughts...avoid service center like the plague. Even Tesla seems to agree, "The best Service is Zero Service". If you must, use Mobile Service

Use the forums, on line Tesla Part and service manuals, and DYI any issues.

Set energy display to percent. Navigate to all destinations. Charge overnight using scheduled departure to 50% plus what you need for commute to arrive to next charging stop at 20-30%.

Other than that, don't obsess over degradation, depreciation, range, missing/future features, etc. Enjoy the car, the more you drive, the more you will save.

Oh, by the way, if you run across a Plaid in chill mode, you can beat it 0-60 even if you are in chill.

Reactions: Rosemary
Some thoughts...avoid service center like the plague. Even Tesla seems to agree, "The best Service is Zero Service". If you must, use Mobile Service

Use the forums, on line Tesla Part and service manuals, and DYI any issues.

Set energy display to percent. Navigate to all destinations. Charge overnight using scheduled departure to 50% plus what you need for commute to arrive to next charging stop at 20-30%.

Other than that, don't obsess over degradation, depreciation, range, missing/future features, etc. Enjoy the car, the more you drive, the more you will save.

Oh, by the way, if you run across a Plaid in chill mode, you can beat it 0-60 even if you are in chill.
Great advice, aero. Thank you. The main items for me are more forum research and DIY. That said, I wasn't willing to DIY the chrome delete or tinting. Replace the headlights? Maybe I'll give that a go.

Last month, after three years in a white MYP, I sold it and bought a babied, rattle-free 2019 Model S P100D with 26,700 miles. Yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway:

View attachment 1033932

I could list my boring "reasons" for this decision, but most reasons boil down to emotions (as David Hume pointed out), in this case passion for a sleek, ultra-high-performance EV. The practical, trouble-free MYP inspired zero passion, and any excitement at all cooled further as white Model Y's overran my city.

Changes to date are minor — chrome delete, front license delete, 30% tint, integrated phone charger, etc. — but I can't help lusting after other upgrades. After all, passion and mods are two sides of the same, um, addiction. My only known used-car problem is half-dead DRLs, so two new headlights, the "F" version, await installation. I'm also thinking about spacers, Ntuitive lowering links and control arms, and up-sized 255 & 275/35ZR-21 Michelins for the gorgeous stock wheels. The seller had installed four new z-rated "Sailuns" (Anyone heard of them?) since the previous tires were trashed on the inside edges.

I'm happy to join the MS community, where I'm eager to learn more about this incredible car. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Craig
Welcome. Have 2021 model s long range. With yoke ordered it that way. Sit back and enjoy the ride. That is true fast car. In chill mode and Tesla from a stop is half way down the next block before others have crossed the intersection. And I don’t put the hammer down. As they say. Even faster in autopilot and fsd. The posted speed limit is met before I have a chance to catch my breath. Scares me sometimes. The steering is stiff. I blame on software updates. Gets stiffer with every update. Safety features sometimes good sometimes not so good.

Thanks, Rosemary. I've done my best to make my 2019 look like your 2021! So far, I love the car and, like always, I've added some custom touches. In this case, though, no aftermarket exhaust is required!

For sure, the acceleration is thrilling. Yesterday on an empty back road, I launched the car in Ludicrous Plus for the first time. Sheesh. This car deserves a vanity plate, only $10/year in VA. How about...

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 11.02.32 AM.png

Reactions: Rosemary and byeLT4
Thanks, Rosemary. I've done my best to make my 2019 look like your 2021! So far, I love the car and, like always, I've added some custom touches. In this case, though, no aftermarket exhaust is required!

For sure, the acceleration is thrilling. Yesterday on an empty back road, I launched the car in Ludicrous Plus for the first time. Sheesh. This car deserves a vanity plate, only $10/year in VA. How about...

View attachment 1036969
Be safe but ENJOY the RIDE.