Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…Litigation is really needed here. They are hoping most of our cars cycle out existence so they don’t have to fix it.
What is the litigation argument?

A. I bought something knowing that it didn’t exist and it still doesn’t exist. I want Tesla to make it exist. Or I want damages for my pain and suffering.

B. I bought something knowing that it didn’t exist and there is this this beta test to make it exist that I can’t get into.

C. I bought something knowing that it didn’t exist. But now it still doesn’t exist and I want my money back.

D. I bought a car based on the fact that it was supposed to let me buy this thing (FSD) that doesn’t exist. Even though I didn’t buy the thing, I deserve new hardware, money for damages, etc.

I think only C. has merit today. But I think D may have merit in the future.

A great argument for C goes like this: “Elon tweeted X and I relied on that for my purchase”. Or even the argument that “It’s been a really long time and even though I tried a bunch of Tesla’s attempts to do the thing, it never did the thing and I want my money back” is a pretty good argument.

The best argument for D today is to say “I want to subscribe to a month of the thing and I shouldn’t have to buy all the extra hardware since Tesla said my car already had the hardware to do the thing when I bought it.” Otherwise I expect Tesla to say “Yeah, if it turns out your car doesn’t have the hardware to do the thing we will resolve that because we said it did. Our bad. But since the thing doesn’t exist today, we get to wait until it does exist. We’re not going to give you new hardware everytime we try and make the thing work. You have to wait until it works and then we give you the hardware.”

Last edited:
“I really would consider autonomous driving to be basically a solved problem,” (2016)

Starts selling FSD

Fast forward 5 years

"Generalized self-driving is a hard problem, as it requires solving a large part of real-world AI. Didn’t expect it to be so hard..." (2021)

5 years to go from "solved" to "this is hard"

But we're getting off topic. The topic is, Tesla sold cars with Dashcam and then crippled the Dashcam when they installed required new hardware. Someone is owed something in that case. What that something is, who knows...

Reactions: tezlaMXUR17&24
What is the litigation argument?

Customer purchased a car based on Tesla representation of the car having a breakthrough L4+ autonomous driving functionality, including "hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver". At the time of purchase Tesla represented that before delivery, an "extensive software validation" and "regulatory approval" are needed. Later it turned out that Tesla had falsely represented existence of such functionality: not only it needed validation, but it needed to be developed - including completely new hardware and software architecture. Now, after five years from marketing and selling the functionality, Tesla has not delivered the functionality, or given a timeline for the delivery. Considering the expected lifetime of the car, it is indisputable that Tesla has not and will not be able to deliver the breakthrough functionality as represented at the time of purchase. To remedy the situation, Customer should return the car and Tesla should return the payment.

Here is Tesla representation at the time functionality at the time of purchase:

Here is the video originally presented there visibly right under the title (but missing from the above archival copy for technical reasons):

Autopilot | Tesla.png

“Buying a car today is an investment into the future. I think the most profound thing is that if you buy a Tesla today, I believe you are buying an appreciating asset – not a depreciating asset.”

So....maybe?
PLAINTIFF: So I interpreted Elon’s comment as investment advice and bought a car instead of Bitcoin and Tesla stock.

• Funny
Reactions: Seattle Tom
Happy to report that I was finally able to settle the issue with Tesla. Unfortunately, I am not able to discuss about specifics.
That's too bad you cant share the details. I complained about this issue and the SC just told me to buy another thumb drive after already trying three different ones. I gave up on this issue since I was/ am fighting bigger ones. Are you able to give any advise on how to get action from Tesla? I think the SCs are getting worse and worse.

Problem is not in the thumb drive: none will work. The issue seems to originate from a performance bottleneck that happens with FSD computer + MCU1 combo. I bet it could be solved with a software update, but I do not think Tesla cares enough to fix this bug.

Last edited:
Did everything I could through their service channels, including engaging with two SCs. I do not think SCs will ever be able to solve this issue: either 1) they would need to install MCU2 and I do not think they are empowered to do that without charging for it, or 2) Tesla software team would need to fix the bug (see above).