Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets keep everyone entertained here...

Here is a transcript of my conversation with service center manager named Paul at Sunnyvale service center after they spent five days diagnosing the dashcam issue for 5 days there:

After the conversation, customer service rep took the details he needed for return, including FSD purchase receipt. Paul joined in for a bit to inform that he will get back to customer probably next week on details for the refund.
Keep up the good fight buddy! If we stop hearing from you, we know you NDA'd and got your money back!

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
When picking up the car, I finally got to speak with the service center manager. He promised me a full refund for FSD.

With this, they will be able to fix Dashcam either by downgrading AP back to HW2.5 or maybe their engineering really finds a software fix and no service center visit it needed. I’ll see how the process goes.

Overall, I find this resolution acceptable. No need for taking legal action to resolve the issue.
Any update on your refund?

I agree. But that still more money. Don’t take a math whiz on that one. If thats what they’re doing. Someone is going to bite the bullet. The precedent for a refund is still worse, more money,and more embarrassing, With a result of less fsd cars on the road. They can save themselves some of the cost and get praised for it. I really think they gon have to do it eventually. They just trying to wait it out and make as much money as possible before they do it. Surprised the NTHSA and all over this one. They all over the stupid stuff

It’s about not setting a precedent of giving away MCU2.

It is actually strange that Tesla keeps fighting it. Pro-actively giving MCU2 to every FSD buyer with MCU1 (and refunding already done upgrades in that group) might allow Tesla to maintain some goodwill among early FSD buyers who are now fed up with Tesla. Those early adopters are a very impactful group - not only do they buy $100k cars, but are the early adopters who recommend for/against Tesla. Fighting it will just end up courts forcing Tesla to fix the problem - possibly by more expensive "refund FSD" route. And the opportunity for goodwill would be lost.

It is actually strange that Tesla keeps fighting it. Pro-actively giving MCU2 to every FSD buyer with MCU1 (and refunding already done upgrades in that group) might allow Tesla to maintain some goodwill among early FSD buyers who are now fed up with Tesla. Those early adopters are a very impactful group - not only do they buy $100k cars, but are the early adopters who recommend for/against Tesla. Fighting it will just end up courts forcing Tesla to fix the problem - possibly by more expensive "refund FSD" route. And the opportunity for goodwill would be lost.
I agree 100%!

I agree. But that still more money. Don’t take a math whiz on that one. If thats what they’re doing. Someone is going to bite the bullet. The precedent for a refund is still worse, more money,and more embarrassing, With a result of less fsd cars on the road. They can save themselves some of the cost and get praised for it. I really think they gon have to do it eventually. They just trying to wait it out and make as much money as possible before they do it. Surprised the NTHSA and all over this one. They all over the stupid stuff
I agree 100%!
Agreed!! This is really getting ridiculous at this point. Most of us would be willing to wait if Elon told us he was working on it but the silence makes it worse.

I agree. But not convinced that this is the final step towards FSD. So why put mcu2 in all the cars if it will take mcu3 or 4.

Reactions: Solar40
I agree. But not convinced that this is the final step towards FSD. So why put mcu2 in all the cars if it will take mcu3 or 4.
This will most likely not happen... MCU3/MCU4 are not compatible with older generation cars, they may offer discounts on Plaid models... or keep telling us that they working on a software fix, that will never happen and your battery will die one day after 8 years.. were you may not be able to get anything for it.!

I think it simply case of having singular focus on building L4. If something does not bring L4 on market faster, then it gets 0 attention.

Let's face it, us early FSD customers and promises given to us are a distraction. Way how Tesla seems to think is to just accept broken promises as necessary casualties of war for bringing FSD on market at wide scale first. We can bitch about it, we can lose all trust in Tesla, can sue them, ... Tesla just lets their army of lawyers deal with it - whichever way is cheapest on the short term. This way their engineering teams are not distracted.

From engineering point of view, I can respect the focus. From business point of view, I despise their shortsighted lack of understanding the value of customer trust.

Also, I think that including MCU2 upgrades to FSD purchase price would still be cheapest option. I believe that it was actually promised when car was advertised to have all HW needed for FSD and Elon saying that it that would not be the case Tesla would make upgrades for free. MCU2 upgrades would silence early FSD customers for several years and thus reduce the number of cars Tesla would need to eventually somehow deal with if MCU2 is enough.

Legacy car won’t fit a 3. The screen and dash are completely different. They have to figure something out for the vertical screens

MCU3 HW surely can drive two small displays - regardless of orientation. It is just a question of cost for maintaining one more UI configuration.

If there would be any blocking challenges in retrofitting MCU3 in pre 2018 Model S/X, it would probably be all about cooling. Still, those should be fairly easy challenges to overcome.

Reactions: dbldwn02
They lied on giving a refund (promised a refund, but did not actually give it). Details in above posted transcript.

Looks like Tesla would like to get away by keeping the payment and not delivering the purchase. We'll see how that goes...
I think it simply case of having singular focus on building L4. If something does not bring L4 on market faster, then it gets 0 attention.

Let's face it, us early FSD customers and promises given to us are a distraction. Way how Tesla seems to think is to just accept broken promises as necessary casualties of war for bringing FSD on market at wide scale first. We can bitch about it, we can lose all trust in Tesla, can sue them, ... Tesla just lets their army of lawyers deal with it - whichever way is cheapest on the short term. This way their engineering teams are not distracted.

From engineering point of view, I can respect the focus. From business point of view, I despise their shortsighted lack of understanding the value of customer trust.

Also, I think that including MCU2 upgrades to FSD purchase price would still be cheapest option. I believe that it was actually promised when car was advertised to have all HW needed for FSD and Elon saying that it that would not be the case Tesla would make upgrades for free. MCU2 upgrades would silence early FSD customers for several years and thus reduce the number of cars Tesla would need to eventually somehow deal with if MCU2 is enough.
I can agree. It just sucks. They could easily do the right thing here. Definitely turned off from Tesla promise purchases. I wouldn’t reserve a cybertruck or Roadster. No telling when you’ll get your purchase or if it will even be as advertised. They have gotten away with it so far. So why stop. Litigation is really needed here. They are hoping most of our cars cycle out existence so they don’t have to fix it.