Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to order Model S - 85, P85, or P85+ - and what options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everybody has their 2 cents.....Mine is that you should work to lower the price if you think you might sell in a few years. Options are what will lose value the most quickly. Granted, I am still waiting for my S, comes Sept. 17th, so my suggestions are not as well informed as others, but my S is $79,000 before tax incentives and is "basically" the same car as yours, with more seats and faster charging options.

Now I know people with argue "basic" to some extent. I will have an S85 with dual chargers, 7 seats, and cold weather package. I feel that I will have 99% of the car for 3/5ths the price....particularly in the context of a used car. In 5 years, people are going to be buying used Model Ss for more $$$/function reasons, as the cars get cheaper and as gas get more expensive. Let's face it, the average mid level car buyer is more price sensitive than your current average Tesla buyer.

To a higher income car enthusiast, my car could seem boring or missing must haves like a pano, I'll give you that for sure. But I do feels it hits a sweet spot for price vs. functionality and that will hopefully make is slower to depreciate.

Everybody has their 2 cents.....Mine is that you should work to lower the price if you think you might sell in a few years. Options are what will lose value the most quickly. Granted, I am still waiting for my S, comes Sept. 17th, so my suggestions are not as well informed as others, but my S is $79,000 before tax incentives and is "basically" the same car as yours, with more seats and faster charging options.

Now I know people with argue "basic" to some extent. I will have an S85 with dual chargers, 7 seats, and cold weather package. I feel that I will have 99% of the car for 3/5ths the price....particularly in the context of a used car. In 5 years, people are going to be buying used Model Ss for more $$$/function reasons, as the cars get cheaper and as gas get more expensive. Let's face it, the average mid level car buyer is more price sensitive than your current average Tesla buyer.

To a higher income car enthusiast, my car could seem boring or missing must haves like a pano, I'll give you that for sure. But I do feels it hits a sweet spot for price vs. functionality and that will hopefully make is slower to depreciate.

This is good advice. A lot of high end P models have been sold/traded by their first owners for a loss. The S85 seems to retain its value better given its original price.

I am not going to argue against this approach. Maybe I am just trying to justify in my mind that getting higher end will protect the investment. When I compare other high end vehicles to their counterparts - I think it is safe to assume you will get back the extra cost. My M3 for sure commands a premium over the standard 3 series - Just like my Yukon Denali commands more then the standard LT or SLT Yukons. I got killed on my BMW 750LI - and there was really nothing special or premium about it when compared to other 750's. However I still see the 760's and Alipina versions holding a better value.

Is the P85 the premium over the S 85? Would one need to buy the P85+ to really set themselves apart? Will a new longer wheel base version or an AWD version kill any value in the current "upgraded" models?

Your advise is probably sound - however I like to think buying any Tesla Model S is a sound decision especially when compared to buying any ICE vehicle in the marketplace.

You'll probably find that a P85 continues to command more money on resale than an S85, however you'll probably find that an S85 or a P85 with say the upgraded sound system, or the premium interior lighting, or even the rear facing seats, likely will not command more money than the same model without (or at least no where near their original option price)
It's the same with your M3 vs a 3 series. People looking to buy know which of the 2 they are looking for, but they're likely willing to be quite flexible on which options it comes with, putting more emphasis on condition, number of miles, or even what day of the week you can meet them to arrange the sale.

Congrats on the order! I see that delivery times are slipping into November, but yes, if you confirm earlier than your two-week cooling-off period, it might move up. Mine went from "October" to "Late September" when I confirmed early.

You can see what I ordered in the sig, and here are my thoughts although it's hard for me to say much as we got almost the same car:

Color - knock yourself out, totally personal preference. I went fridge white with white roof. Have a pearl car now and like it, but not $1,500 more than std.

S vs P vs P+: I went S because I thought the $10k from S60 to S85 gave a lot for the $... Supercharging, tires, faster acceleration, battery warranty, increased range, etc. I did not feel the extra $14k from S85 to P85 gave as much value for the $, but rather was strictly a performance upgrade (though I am sure it is awesome!). I was hoping to keep my car under $100k so the P was the first thing to drop off. I did not drive it as not to be tempted. But if coming from M3 and the like, I see the rationale for P. P+ I have heard can be harsh riding and can have tire wear issues, though I am not the authority on this.

Sunroof: I went without as well. The wife wanted it, I was wishy-washy especially given the $$. The lack of a solid shade to cover it was the dealbreaker. The roof does block a LOT of UV and heat, but it's not perfect. Skin cancer is my business and I just couldn't see it, as aging UVA rays can silently pass through a lot of tint/glaze etc. without causing burning (UVB) or heat (infrared) sensation. Also, I don't feel the "added" headroom is real usable space. In both the pano and non-pano cars, my head at 6'2" grazed the roof in the middle rear seat, either the headliner of the non-pano car or the rear edge of the pano in that car. I did not feel more comfortable in the rear of the pano car. Driving position was great with either car as the roof clearance up front is higher. I drove both cars and truly the pano is more fun for the rear passengers than the driver who can't really see out of it at all while underway.

Wheels: I just liked the standard, personal preference.

Interior: I went black leather, just my taste. Might regret in Arizona but will be getting UV/heat blocking tint. Also went with Obeche Matte wood. I have the piano black in our LR4 and it shows fingerprints pretty easily. Left out the yacht floor as I will likely get the center console when available.

Tech: for sure. Truly don't know why they sell it without.

Air Suspension: drove it both ways, on the highway the air was much smoother over ridges and bumps, and the ability to jack it up was nice. For the highway driving I do, it was no contest that air felt nicer to me. They do say the coil sits higher than air at standard height, so you have to remember to raise it when needed. Some comment the coil car feels more "connected" to the road. I liken it to the BMW sport suspension from my drive. Some love it, some hate it.

Parking Sensors: if getting tech seems no-brainer - they work great. Think it should be standard with tech package.

Interior Lighting: did not get. Thought it was a lot of $$$ for some extra LEDs, and that they should have been included. Now that the door handle downlights are standard, I chose to save $ here.

Fog Lights - $500 - agreed for occasional need and coolness. Bought this instead of interior lighting pkg.

Upgraded Sound - I bought as well. Agonized a little. That said, I listen to XM almost exclusively, and after listening to both systems, it was a go. I hear you can get nicer stuff aftermarket, but a lot more $$$.

In addition, I went also for:
Rear seats: I have 2 littles who will just be growing into these, so will get use out of them. Will be heavily tinting the back and getting the mesh shade as well. I'm a car seat safety nut and rear facing is so safe, I felt compelled.

Also I did not go for:
Subzero: same as you, live in OC now, about to relocate to AZ this week - so no real need. Would have bought it if the front seat heaters were not standard.
Dual chargers: with <100mi/day usual driving, overnight 40amp charging off NEMA 14-50 seemed fine. Thought about it briefly as future-proofing, but saved $ here. Also did not buy HPWC as no benefit w/o dual chargers.
Alcantara, extended leather, etc. A lot of $$ for what you get IMHO.
Paint armor: seems Xpel or Suntek film is better for about the same $ aftermarket, which I will probably do.

Last edited:
Congrats on the order! I see that delivery times are slipping into November, but yes, if you confirm earlier than your two-week cooling-off period, it might move up. Mine went from "October" to "Late September" when I confirmed early.

You can see what I ordered in the sig, and here are my thoughts although it's hard for me to say much as we got almost the same car:

Color - knock yourself out, totally personal preference. I went fridge white with white roof. Have a pearl car now and like it, but not $1,500 more than std.

S vs P vs P+: I went S because I thought the $10k from S60 to S85 gave a lot for the $... Supercharging, tires, faster acceleration, battery warranty, increased range, etc. I did not feel the extra $14k from S85 to P85 gave as much value for the $, but rather was strictly a performance upgrade (though I am sure it is awesome!). I was hoping to keep my car under $100k so the P was the first thing to drop off. I did not drive it as not to be tempted. But if coming from M3 and the like, I see the rationale for P. P+ I have heard can be harsh riding and can have tire wear issues, though I am not the authority on this.

Sunroof: I went without as well. The wife wanted it, I was wishy-washy especially given the $$. The lack of a solid shade to cover it was the dealbreaker. The roof does block a LOT of UV and heat, but it's not perfect. Skin cancer is my business and I just couldn't see it, as aging UVA rays can silently pass through a lot of tint/glaze etc. without causing burning (UVB) or heat (infrared) sensation. Also, I don't feel the "added" headroom is real usable space. In both the pano and non-pano cars, my head at 6'2" grazed the roof in the middle rear seat, either the headliner of the non-pano car or the rear edge of the pano in that car. I did not feel more comfortable in the rear of the pano car. Driving position was great with either car as the roof clearance up front is higher. I drove both cars and truly the pano is more fun for the rear passengers than the driver who can't really see out of it at all while underway.

Wheels: I just liked the standard, personal preference.

Interior: I went black leather, just my taste. Might regret in Arizona but will be getting UV/heat blocking tint. Also went with Obeche Matte wood. I have the piano black in our LR4 and it shows fingerprints pretty easily. Left out the yacht floor as I will likely get the center console when available.

Tech: for sure. Truly don't know why they sell it without.

Air Suspension: drove it both ways, on the highway the air was much smoother over ridges and bumps, and the ability to jack it up was nice. For the highway driving I do, it was no contest that air felt nicer to me. They do say the coil sits higher than air at standard height, so you have to remember to raise it when needed. Some comment the coil car feels more "connected" to the road. I liken it to the BMW sport suspension from my drive. Some love it, some hate it.

Parking Sensors: if getting tech seems no-brainer - they work great. Think it should be standard with tech package.

Interior Lighting: did not get. Thought it was a lot of $$$ for some extra LEDs, and that they should have been included. Now that the door handle downlights are standard, I chose to save $ here.

Fog Lights - $500 - agreed for occasional need and coolness. Bought this instead of interior lighting pkg.

Upgraded Sound - I bought as well. Agonized a little. That said, I listen to XM almost exclusively, and after listening to both systems, it was a go. I hear you can get nicer stuff aftermarket, but a lot more $$$.

In addition, I went also for:
Rear seats: I have 2 littles who will just be growing into these, so will get use out of them. Will be heavily tinting the back and getting the mesh shade as well. I'm a car seat safety nut and rear facing is so safe, I felt compelled.

Also I did not go for:
Subzero: same as you, live in OC now, about to relocate to AZ this week - so no real need. Would have bought it if the front seat heaters were not standard.
Dual chargers: with <100mi/day usual driving, overnight 40amp charging off NEMA 14-50 seemed fine. Thought about it briefly as future-proofing, but saved $ here. Also did not buy HPWC as no benefit w/o dual chargers.
Alcantara, extended leather, etc. A lot of $$ for what you get IMHO.
Paint armor: seems Xpel or Suntek film is better for about the same $ aftermarket, which I will probably do.

Ahh all good stuff. Glad to see I was not the only one agonizing over the choices. I almost feel this might be an area where Tesla could be losing customers. I was in Hong Kong wanting to buy custom fitted suits. I went into a shop and was overwhelmed with all the decisions. I said I wanted a navy blue suit - they came over with 3 books - each with probably 500-800 different fabrics. All were blue of some kind. It was impossible to make a decision. In the end I walked out - and I so wanted to buy some suits! Later on another trip I went into a shop (Sam's Tailor) - and Sam told me what I needed - and made most of the decisions for me. It was a fantastic experience and I ended up buying 4 suits. Same thing applies here I think. Maybe it would be easier if they had different packages - and you just got everything - maybe some things at a slight discount over picking each option alacarte.

Either way I found a way to make the decisions - I also confirmed my order and my delivery date went form October to Late September. But I believe we still have time to make changes - I am anxious to see what happens August 1st - if there will be new options that become available.

One comment about the panoramic roof - is it just me -but I think the solid matching roof looks way better than the all glass top - especially on the white. Seems more aggressive / sporty to me.

Good Luck with your order. Here is my 2 cents worth...
I spent extensive time in several models before ordering - S85 and P85.
I went with a S 85 and have never looked back (this is from coming out of BMW M cars)
I have had several P85 loaners, and to be honest after LIVING with a S 85 for a year and a half do not miss the difference. The S has most of the power you will ever need in 99+% of the situations. Not being a drag racer, I do not miss the little extra off the line a P85 gives, and quite honestly, I can smoke just about anything if I wanted.
Roof - I went without it. I never opened the sunroof in any of my previous cars, and to be honest, in Florida do not miss the sun, no matter how well the glass filters it out.
Wood - we went with the Lacewood, and love it. It is open poured, and looks really great. Plus, it is just a little different than the smooth and shiny other stuff. We have a white car (standard white, not pearl) with black interior and lacewood. Our service center says that it is rare with that combination, and they say they really like it.
Please get what you want...its your car. Again...just my 2 cents worth!

I went with as few options as I thought I could get away with. Definitely wanted the 85, and didn't want black or white. Skipped everything else, and I still don't even miss the tech package. Everyone's got their opinion.
If I were to do it all over today I might consider a matte interior finish. The piano black does reflect the sun back at you certain times of the day.
I still wouldn't go for the P, the S85 is plenty for me.
I like the interior lighting, (std when I ordered) but probably wouldn't pay $1000 for it.
I don't see how anybody in CA can need dual chargers. That supercharger map makes me jealous.
I've found that the pano increases road noise just a little. Still would go without it.
As for the air - it may be too late for you but I've read that quite often Tesla will allow a test drive to your driveway to see if it clears, or fits in your garage. The air ride is smoother, but I find it's a bit squishy compared to coil. My opinion here is you need it with the P+ package which more than compensates, but without + skip it unless your looking for that comfy smooth ride. I'm pretty sure Tesla still hasn't made the suspension geo-aware yet, so you have to remember to set the air suspension every time you get home; and yes the coil height is very close to the air at High. I think Very High is about an inch higher than the coil.
I wouldn't let a potential resale influence an option choice.

It sounds like you've built your car, you're going to love it!

I guess now I can jump in on the "what options did you get" train.

Drivetrain: S85, more than enough power to be fun, though the "P" version is ludicrous speed if you can afford it!

Color: My order is for Blue, but in person it looks so close to black I still wonder if it's really worth it. My current car is Deep Sea Blue but it's a bit lighter, and doesn't show dirt quite as readily as black.

Interior: Textile. Keep in mind that all automotive leather is vinyl-coated anyway; I just wish that textile was available in more colors, but the black microfiber looks and feels pretty good (at least the small samples they had in the store).

Trim: Piano black. I think it looks the best. Keep a microfiber towel in the glovebox to wipe away fingerprints (and on the screen too)

Options:

Pano Sunroof: No - Seems like another thing to break or stop working; the rear seat turns into a cave without it, but I will rarely have adults sitting back there. The sunshade in my BMW is closed all the time. It certainly looks good though and makes the cabin light and airy. Still somewhat waffling on this before I confirm my order, but I'd definitely order the $150 sun screens too if I added this option.

Tech Package: Yes - Duh! Not getting this is like ordering a bacon cheeseburger without bacon or cheese.

Air suspension: No - My old Z06 handled my driveway fine, no reason I'd need to raise up the Tesla. I test drove the base suspension and it felt great. Didn't make me miss my e90 with sport suspension. Also another thing that can break.

Dual chargers: No- Don't need it, my commute is pretty short. For longer trips I'll be using superchargers.

3rd row seats: YES Got this one instead of the sunroof. My kids are 9 months and 3 years so I'll get a lot of use out of the rear seats over the next few years. Also getting the $90 rear lift gate sun shade.

Premium lighting: No. Saw this in person, it was... meh. Maybe for a couple hundred bucks but not $1000. The tech package adds the cool door handle lights. On a side note, the LED's all have a bluish tinge, which looks kind of weird projected on a tan interior. Black should be fine.

Fog lights: Nah. No -I think my current car has fog lights, maybe. Never need them. The cornering lights in the tech package are what I find more useful.

Parking sensors: No- Didn't order this since I haven't had that on any previous cars, but I might add it at the last minute. I do have to parallel park frequently.

Subzero package: No- Not needed since I'm in the southeast. Front seat heaters are standard anyway.

Upgraded sound: No -I think the base sound system should be good enough, I mainly listen to podcasts and music streaming over bluetooth from Spotify.

Good choices - I was also going to get blue until I saw how close to black it looks, ended up with red by chance - a red one was parked at a restaurant we had lunch at right after the test drive - I really like the parking sensors but my garage is tight length wise