Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt we'll here much about this from Tesla and I'm pretty sure the owner will be told to keep quiet and Tesla will replace their car. They can't afford negative press like this going wild.

Oh you cynic :)

I'm not sure Tesla will replace it, the fault was clearly due to the aftermarket wheels :) ;)

Anyway glad no one was hurt, and the fire brigade did the right thing. At the end of the day it's a car and replaceable.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell whether the battery was involved in the fire. You get high temperatures from burning plastics, transmission oil, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quoting from an article: "It is not possible to extinguish electric car fires with water, so the fire department contained the area surrounding the fierce car fire, and used a special foam to get the fire under control."

Obviously, water is the correct way to extinguish the fire, so it does seems as if the fire departments hesitation to extenguish the fire with water did contribute to the extent of the fire. Apparently they just let it burn while they tried to get what they thought was the proper means to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters avoid spraying water on any fire that has live electrical lines in it, to avoid electrocution. In my area, they wait until the power company has turned off power to a house before fighting a house fire. So even though this was a car fire, it wouold be considered an electrical fire by the fire department.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt we'll here much about this from Tesla and I'm pretty sure the owner will be told to keep quiet and Tesla will replace their car. They can't afford negative press like this going wild.

This has already hit the media, and Tesla opponents will seize on it, and, as usual, ignore the 150,000 ICE car fires that occur every year.

Firefighters avoid spraying water on any fire that has live electrical lines in it, to avoid electrocution. In my area, they wait until the power company has turned off power to a house before fighting a house fire. So even though this was a car fire, it wouold be considered an electrical fire by the fire department.
The fire department did okay, but there is potential for improvement. Water is the correct firefighting method. See page 20 here: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/en_EU/model_s_2014_emergency_response_guide.pdf?1512

The fire department did okay, but there is potential for improvement. Water is the correct firefighting method. See page 20 here: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...odel_s_2014_emergency_response_guide.pdf?1512

Interesting. The manual says that for "small fires" to use CO2 or ABC fire extinguisher... and use large amounts of water if the main battery is involved. Seems to me it could be a bit of a challenge for an arriving fire department to really know for sure if the main battery is involved. Probably depends on how far along the fire was, when they got there.

The fire department did okay, but there is potential for improvement. Water is the correct firefighting method. See page 20 here: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...odel_s_2014_emergency_response_guide.pdf?1512

I'm interested what improvement are you seeking?

Just like an ICE, that car was likely totaled pretty much the moment the fire started, so they wouldn't have reduced the monetary impact, and MUCH more importantly no-one was hurt. Seems a perfect outcome to me.

Indeed one of the alternative strategies (specified in the Tesla guide) is to let the car burn whilst protecting surroundings. Given the close proximity to the SpC (was it was plugged in at the time?), they probably just treated the whole situation as an electrical fire and went for that option.

Yes it makes for a dramatic image that's not good for Tesla, but it looks like it was the right thing to do judging by the outcome.

My interpretation of the first responder guide is the role of the water is to keep the battery cool and prevent cascading failure (emphasis added):

if you suspect that the battery is heating, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. DO NOT extinguish fire with a small amount of water. Always establish or request an additional water supply. Always establish or request an additional water supply.

Further on...

Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to fully extinguish. Consider allowing the vehicle to burn while protecting exposures.

The risk of electrocution as a result of extinguishing the battery with water should be low. Once a fault is detected the contactors will be isolated. (This being the default condition with no 12V supply.) High voltage then remains inside the battery.

One improvement would be to know that you can in fact put a lithium battery fire out with water and not report to the media and the general public information to the contrary thusly perpetuating ignorance that may be slowing down the adoption of BEVs.

The quote isn't even attributed to the firemen. It seems little more than commentary by the journalist. (Any native Norwegian speakers confirm)