Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many owners with UMC problems in Norway , specially during cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Oslo service centre vaguely indicated that my Tesla UMC would be replaced with a new version at some point in the future.

That's interesting. I have just been told the same thing at Dramensveien Service Centre (OSLO)... but your post is from April '14!

My problem is different: the remote control button does not work anymore. You press, but the charge port doesn't open. While I was on holidays in Belgium I had this checked at their Service Centre in Brussels, and they said the UMC needed replacement. In fact, they offered a new UMC, which I refused explaining the Norwegian grid is different from Europe and I needed a specific UMC.

So back in Norway I contacted the Service Centre, and they've told me that they could replace it but prefer to wait because the remote control is a known issue and Tesla is working on a new UMC. They said that once the new UMC is ready they will recall all existing UMCs...

Anyone else has had this problem with the UMC remote not working?

That's interesting. I have just been told the same thing at Dramensveien Service Centre (OSLO)... but your post is from April '14!

My problem is different: the remote control button does not work anymore. You press, but the charge port doesn't open. While I was on holidays in Belgium I had this checked at their Service Centre in Brussels, and they said the UMC needed replacement. In fact, they offered a new UMC, which I refused explaining the Norwegian grid is different from Europe and I needed a specific UMC.

So back in Norway I contacted the Service Centre, and they've told me that they could replace it but prefer to wait because the remote control is a known issue and Tesla is working on a new UMC. They said that once the new UMC is ready they will recall all existing UMCs...

Anyone else has had this problem with the UMC remote not working?

A recent change to Firmware 6.0 has introduced charge port opening with your Tesla fob.
Press and hold the boot/trunk key to open the charge port door.

I guess I don't have that update yet (at 6.0 something) because didn't work for me. Would be very welcome though considering Euro Type 2 cable has no open button and even the UMC opening button can be fidgety.

Any info on this is appreciated.

I tried it an it works. I am on 6.0, release 2.0.77

- - - Updated - - -

I had that problem about a year ago. Tesla replaced the UMC.

They offered that, but also said they recommended to wait until a new UMC was out, to avoid the risk of having the same problem again. Since I will have to service my car in March, I will wait until then. If they have a new UMC, fine, otherwise I'll just ask for a replacement with whatever version of the UMC they have.