Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh removed should I change my confirmed configuration!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any worry with being discontinued. Everything except the battery is identical. The battery has an eight year warranty on it. If anything goes wrong with the battery in that time, Tesla will either have stock available to replace it, or they will upgrade you. They don't really have any other choice. After the warranty is up, well, that's so far off that we don't have a clear picture in any respect.

The demise of the 85 makes me a bit sad just because it was the "standard Tesla" to me for a long time, always the perfect choice even as the lineup changed around it. But as an 85 owner, I'm not worried about the future of my car just because it's gone.

My order is confirmed for my tesla (see signature) delivery in June. With the 85kwh battery option gone. Would it be wise to change my configuration to something that is available not discontinued so to speak. My car will not go into production until early May so I have time and I know they will not hit me with the $500 change order fee (confirmed with my DS a few weeks back when I suspected this was going to happen). This is driving me nuts! The wait for the car now this, I might be thinking about it too much .....
if deliver isn't until June, I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded you to a 90 anyway. I bet they'll have stopped building the 85s by then and since you locked in at the 85 price I suspect you'll get that bigger pack.

I just got the phone call from Tesla. If I want to keep the 85D I must take delivery in March which I can not do due to my lease still in effect until July. If I want to keep my June delivery I must then choose the 90D or downgrade to 70D. On top of that I have to make a decision by end of business day tomorrow! I really do not like the fact that I have such a short time to make a big decision like this. I called my DS to see if they can extend this time for me so I can test drive both options overnight. He was happy to help and will be in touch.
Looks like March is when they will stop producing these battery packs!

- - - Updated - - -

if deliver isn't until June, I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded you to a 90 anyway. I bet they'll have stopped building the 85s by then and since you locked in at the 85 price I suspect you'll get that bigger pack.

I asked, they said they can not do this. and I have to make above decision by tomorrow. I even asked for a discount on the 90D but nothing.....:cursing:

Tough decision to make. I'm also waiting production for my 85D but with earliest delivery, so I probably won't get a call. However, if I did get the call, and they gave me the ultimatum without any discount on the upgrade, I would cancel my order entirely. I don't want a 70D, and I shouldn't have to pay extra for something I don't want.

Agreed, what he said and I've been driving an 85 for just under three years and have never even come close to running out of juice. Do you really think you might need the extra 5kw? If this were a 15kw for $3k then yes, why not. I ordered an 85 back in December and had the 90kw option as well, but went with another 85.

Agreed, what he said and I've been driving an 85 for just under three years and have never even come close to running out of juice. Do you really think you might need the extra 5kw? If this were a 15kw for $3k then yes, why not. I ordered an 85 back in December and had the 90kw option as well, but went with another 85.

Well if you are Florida, then I can understand why you've "never even come close to running out of juice" since it is the state with the second highest number of superchargers. There are several states and provinces that still have zero superchargers. Many towns are still over 300 miles from the closest supercharger. While you might not need the extra 5 kWh in Florida, people in less-served states need every mile they can get.

Well if you are Florida, then I can understand why you've "never even come close to running out of juice" since it is the state with the second highest number of superchargers. There are several states and provinces that still have zero superchargers. Many towns are still over 300 miles from the closest supercharger. While you might not need the extra 5 kWh in Florida, people in less-served states need every mile they can get.

Agreed, it's a choice the OP will have to make based on factors like those you pointed out and his intended use for the car. Just not enough bang for the buck in my opinion and situation.

IMG_0034.JPG

I have the 85kWh, RWD going into production.
The 90kWh appeals to me but I just got my "85KWATT" license plates. Can't abide putting them on a 90. Also, I don't want to give up the frunk space.
So I'm staying with the 85kWh.
~Larry

I just got the phone call from Tesla. If I want to keep the 85D I must take delivery in March which I can not do due to my lease still in effect until July. If I want to keep my June delivery I must then choose the 90D or downgrade to 70D.

Man, that just doesn't seem legal, not that it would be worth hiring a lawyer over. But you signed a contract and if you wanted out of it you'd lose your deposit, right? So why can Tesla tell you "sorry, we're not keeping our end of the contract - we will not produce the car you bought and we agreed to deliver in June." If they did agree originally to deliver it in June, maybe they didn't. But if they did, how can they just change their minds? It makes no sense to me. Tesla brags about being a new, better car company, but they sure aren't doing it here. Disappointing. It seems to me they should manufacture the car in March, if that's what they have to do, then store it until you're ready to take delivery. Morally, that's sure the right thing to do. Tesla is more and more becoming another GM. I guess when you sell every car you make you can treat the occasional customer like dirt and not worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Tough decision to make. I'm also waiting production for my 85D but with earliest delivery, so I probably won't get a call. However, if I did get the call, and they gave me the ultimatum without any discount on the upgrade, I would cancel my order entirely. I don't want a 70D, and I shouldn't have to pay extra for something I don't want.

Exactly this. I really hate hearing Tesla is treating people this way.

Man, that just doesn't seem legal, not that it would be worth hiring a lawyer over. But you signed a contract and if you wanted out of it you'd lose your deposit, right? So why can Tesla tell you "sorry, we're not keeping our end of the contract - we will not produce the car you bought and we agreed to deliver in June." If they did agree originally to deliver it in June, maybe they didn't. But if they did, how can they just change their minds? It makes no sense to me. Tesla brags about being a new, better car company, but they sure aren't doing it here. Disappointing. It seems to me they should manufacture the car in March, if that's what they have to do, then store it until you're ready to take delivery. Morally, that's sure the right thing to do. Tesla is more and more becoming another GM. I guess when you sell every car you make you can treat the occasional customer like dirt and not worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree with you. But apparently it's in their contract. With it being a custom built car parts may discontinue but they are still within the contract but with a March delivery date. The preferred delivery date is just a preference and not a secure date ever.

That being said I can't seem to find this in their contract. According to the tesla rep he said it is under Delivery. I'm writing him an email as we speak to clarify this.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 110880
I have the 85kWh, RWD going into production.
The 90kWh appeals to me but I just got my "85KWATT" license plates. Can't abide putting them on a 90. Also, I don't want to give up the frunk space.
So I'm staying with the 85kWh.
~Larry

Good thinking Larry :biggrin: sweet plate

You're probably overthinking this because it's a big purchase. Do what you were going to do before you heard that the 85 is going away. Nothing has changed other than the psychology of it. If I were in your shoes, rather than be nervous about buying a discontinued battery, I'd be glad I got in before the cutoff forced me to cough up another $3k.

You're probably overthinking this because it's a big purchase. Do what you were going to do before you heard that the 85 is going away. Nothing has changed other than the psychology of it. If I were in your shoes, rather than be nervous about buying a discontinued battery, I'd be glad I got in before the cutoff forced me to cough up another $3k.

+1. This is what im thankful for with my purchase

It really is all in my head! BUT I need to take delivery in June as mentioned above, the last 85D orders must be delivered by end of March.

So my option is to upgrade to 90D or downgrade to 70D. Save money or spend more??? that is the question. I am taking a 70D for a weekend test drive and will come up with my nerve wrecking decision!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Keep 85D. $3k more only get you 18 miles more in range; all other aspect remains unchanged: same acceleration, same horsepower, same performance!!!

I actually read that the 90D is a newer battery. Supposed to the newest tech from tesla according to the tesla rep I spoke to as well.

Have you thought about getting a lower mile INV car instead as well? If you need to wait until June you might be able to snag something really nice for a pretty nice discount and only 3-7k miles. Who knows, by then it might be cheaper to buy a 90D INV over a brand new 70D.

Seeing you have some time it might be worth checking it for those nice low mile INV cars that always pop up.

Have you thought about getting a lower mile INV car instead as well? If you need to wait until June you might be able to snag something really nice for a pretty nice discount and only 3-7k miles. Who knows, by then it might be cheaper to buy a 90D INV over a brand new 70D.

Seeing you have some time it might be worth checking it for those nice low mile INV cars that always pop up.

Yes ive seen the prices going down on CPO, but still cant find what I want and it isnt too far away from new. With the tax incentive as well. I feel new is the way to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla actually called me yesterday and said they had good news for me and I could keep my original order (85D) with a June delivery. He said about 70% of the people he spoke to were happy to jump up to the 90D but the rest were a little upset that they were forced to take delivery March 31st or change your configuration.

Apparently they had a meeting and discussed this and are keeping everything the same if you choose to. They are striving to make the consumer happy which is good for everyone!

I on the other hand moved down to 70D, after test driving over the weekend there is nothing more I need! plus I save 10K which isnt too bad.......:biggrin:

Yes ive seen the prices going down on CPO, but still cant find what I want and it isnt too far away from new. With the tax incentive as well. I feel new is the way to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla actually called me yesterday and said they had good news for me and I could keep my original order (85D) with a June delivery. He said about 70% of the people he spoke to were happy to jump up to the 90D but the rest were a little upset that they were forced to take delivery March 31st or change your configuration.

Apparently they had a meeting and discussed this and are keeping everything the same if you choose to. They are striving to make the consumer happy which is good for everyone!

I on the other hand moved down to 70D, after test driving over the weekend there is nothing more I need! plus I save 10K which isnt too bad.......:biggrin:

Do you have any updates on this? Will you still be getting your 85D in June?