Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D/85 Is Often The Best Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Performance can't be beat."
Exactly my point, only from the opposite end. If you want that, want to pay $20k to $25k more, it is fabulous.
But the 85/85D is a fabulously performing car as well, not as fast or fleet in a few situations, but for the vast majority of drivers and driving, it'll do (in spades).

It is very seldom that anyone floors the accelerator from 0 to 60.

Plenty of people are coming to Tesla from BMW M cars, Mercedes AMG, Porsche, and other similar performing models ... Many of those will frequently do 0-60 runs.

Anyway, that said -- For plenty of people who don't care about 0-60 in under 5 seconds (which is the overwhelming majority), the S85D is probably the best choice. For anyone coming from M, AMG, or Porsche, P85D is for them.

It is very seldom that anyone floors the accelerator from 0 to 60.

Plenty of people are coming to Tesla from BMW M cars, Mercedes AMG, Porsche, and other similar performing models ... Many of those will frequently do 0-60 runs.

Anyway, that said -- For plenty of people who don't care about 0-60 in under 5 seconds (which is the overwhelming majority), the S85D is probably the best choice. For anyone coming from M, AMG, or Porsche, P85D is for them.
I floor it daily in my Leaf at one traffic light (no worry about excessive tire wear or looking like a jerk); less often in my Audi and AMG, and even less in the P Tesla, but there is no substitute for the knowledge of what you have under your control. That said, the 20k difference is about the limit of what I'd spend for a significant difference in power in the same car.

Good news, even the regular S85 will do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. You really can't go wrong.

2014 Tesla Model S 85 0-60 MPH Testing - YouTube

There is way too much emphasis on 0-60 acceleration times IMO.

The real driving delight comes with a car that is balanced and invites the driver to go faster other than in a straight line - if that is what they want to do. For example, the handling for my original Sig P85 was no match for the straight line performance. As a result I didn't feel comfortable driving it fast. Upgrading to the P+ suspension made a dramatic improvement in the handling so the car is much more balanced. But sliding around in the poorly bolstered front seats still detracts from the driving experience.

The next gen seats and using the AWD to counter understeer and pull the car out of a corner makes the P85D an even more balanced car. I'm sure it will be a delight to drive fast - if that is what you want to do. And this has nothing to do improved 0-60 times, although that is fun also!

For those who want the "ultimate" EV and can afford it the P model is the obvious choice.

Depends on your definition of "ultimate". I consider myself a car enthusiast but by no means a performance enthusiast. I would pick a fully loaded S85D over a P85D in a heartbeat. For me, paying all that extra for the P and ending up with less range and only 2 seconds faster to 60 (over an already impressive 5.4 seconds) is just crazy to me. I have never needed the full acceleration of my current S85 in 21 months and would rather have the range over the 2 seconds any day.

Depends on your definition of "ultimate". I consider myself a car enthusiast but by no means a performance enthusiast. I would pick a fully loaded S85D over a P85D in a heartbeat. For me, paying all that extra for the P and ending up with less range and only 2 seconds faster to 60 (over an already impressive 5.4 seconds) is just crazy to me. I have never needed the full acceleration of my current S85 in 21 months and would rather have the range over the 2 seconds any day.

Agreed. However I would love to have the next gen seats in a 85D

I've been surprised at the assumption by many here that the D will dominate sales. Looking at competition in the segment, that simply isn't the case. For every AWD AMG Mercedes sells they sell dozens of RWD sedans. Many people want luxurious quick sedans but don't need or want supercar performance or AWD. It's awesome to have the option in the lineup, but even though I could afford it, I would never drop an extra $20g to make a big heavy sedan perform like a supercar because I know as soon as the road bends reality will hit...it's not a supercar it's a big heavy sedan with a ton of HP.

It's awesome to have the option in the lineup, but even though I could afford it, I would never drop an extra $20g to make a big heavy sedan perform like a supercar because I know as soon as the road bends reality will hit...it's not a supercar it's a big heavy sedan with a ton of HP.

I suggest you get a test ride on a twisty road in a P85D. I believe you will find that as the road bends the AWD and the ability to instantaneously balance torque between the two axles will bend your perceptions about the handling of big heavy sedans - or at least this one. You're right, it is not a 3200 lb. Ferrari or McLaren, but its surprising how the AWD overcomes the tendency of 4900 lb. sedans to understeer.

As is always the case, it's a matter of choice and priorities. Otherwise spec'd the same, tire wear should be very similar if driven the same. The PD has the upgraded suspension so will ride a little rougher. If you don't want to slide around in the seats you could go with textile, but colors are ”limited.”

One of the most stunning differences for me with MS was how much better it is to live with day in and day out. On a drag strip, that 5.x of the S Class versus the 5.y of a S85 is meaningful. On the road, it is a completely different matter. There is no drama with MS. You come to a stop, hover your foot over the accelerator (assuming creep off) and then gently depress the accelerator when the light turns green. Bingo, you are miles ahead of that Seven Series or S Class that was next to you. You have done this, light after light, without drama or drawing any unwanted attention. The overall driving experience is just so easy and pleasurable.

I've never bought cars based on the review criteria of the auto reviewing crowd. I understand that they need quantitative values to underpin their reviews but it is the qualitative elements that you live with every day and thus the ones I value most.

Dennis summed it up. The car just works better and, in this case, the D even better.

Obviously, the key word in my title is choice. Many of you will have made a different choice, and that is great.
I think the 85D/85 is, in many ways, the finest choice for many buyers.
But I would like to hear some of your thoughts about how the 85D (or 85 when you don't need AWD) is often the best choice.
Now there is no doubt that in the media and on this forum that the P85D (and the older choice of P85+) is the darling and king of the hill. But I would like this thread to go a different direction, that is, functionality with speed in a great EV.
The 85D is the longest range for all Teslas (295 mi on the TMC website).
The 85D is super-fast (if you don't believe that, drive one and stomp on the "gas").
The 85D is significantly less expensive than the P85D.
The 85D is significantly better than the 60 for range, and comes with SuperCharger access.
Tires last longer on the 85D than the P85D.
Let me say the two most important again: Costs significantly less than the P85D for nearly the same car and has the longest range.

ALL depends on what you want to spend. You can buy a dealer low miles RWD 85, with no autopilot capabilities currently for about 20-25K less than a new 85D.

Are they offering test drives in the 85D yet? I haven't heard from anyone who has driven one so far.

There aren't even any Production 85D vehicles made yet (presumably there are some engineering vehicles). Vehicles made for marketing purposes won't start being made until January. I don't think they'll let any engineering vehicles be used for 85D tests drives/rides like they did with the P85D. So I'd look for 85D vehicles to be available for test drives in Late January/Early February.

There aren't even any Production 85D vehicles made yet (presumably there are some engineering vehicles). Vehicles made for marketing purposes won't start being made until January. I don't think they'll let any engineering vehicles be used for 85D tests drives/rides like they did with the P85D. So I'd look for 85D vehicles to be available for test drives in Late January/Early February.

Do you think there is going to be that much difference between a standard 85 and a 85D?

Do you think there is going to be that much difference between a standard 85 and a 85D?

I think a P85 is closer to a P85D than the 85 will be to an 85D (and when you compare it to a P85+ there's even less). The P85D leaves the same rear motor the same as in the P85. The 85D on the other hand has two smaller motors. The charge port door should be able to close itself. Any other differences are probably still to be discovered, but given the charge port door, I suspect there will be other differences.

AWD alone can make an awesome difference as in the full time AWD 1978 Blazer/Jimmy SUV. Drove like being on rails. More than once 'woke up' going into a curve sure that I was going to lose it into the woods, no such luck. Having replaced the 440 with a 305 cu inch also helped with the handling.
--