Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75% Insurance Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except there have been lots of Model S accidents. The local body shop says that Teslas seem to get in way more accidents than other cars they service, based on how many are on the road. (Mostly rear end damage, they say.)

That's interesting. I wonder if that has to do with the regenerative braking, and the fact that although you're slowing down substantially your brake lights aren't on (I think? I'm never behind my own car). It's occurred to me that other cars may not be prepared for my car substantially slowing in those cases, although luckily no incidents yet.

That's interesting. I wonder if that has to do with the regenerative braking, and the fact that although you're slowing down substantially your brake lights aren't on (I think? I'm never behind my own car). It's occurred to me that other cars may not be prepared for my car substantially slowing in those cases, although luckily no incidents yet.

Brake lights do come on when regen braking. The MS uses an accelerometer. If there is more than a certain amount of G-force slowing down, the brake lights come on.

You can check it yourself. Just pull up one of the screens that show the exterior of the car and regen.

I sell the stuff (11 year State Farm Agent in AZ)... My little practice is pushing 3,000 insured vehicles. I have ONE Tesla insured. #2 will be next month (mine). My point is, it's going to take the bean counters (actuaries) some time to figure out how to price these things as there just aren't enough out there yet. For now, go with the best value you can find (good policy, decent premiums) with a reputable carrier. In a couple of years the carriers will have a better handle on Tesla claims/pricing.

Do you live in Verrado? If so, I may know you... :)

Brake lights do come on when regen braking.

True.

The MS uses an accelerometer. If there is more than a certain amount of G-force slowing down, the brake lights come on.

I've heard this repeated many times, but why wouldn't they just use the RPM sensor? Also, I think a simple accelerometer would cause the brake lights to come on while maintaining speed on a down grade, but the lights do not come on in this situation.

True.

I've heard this repeated many times, but why wouldn't they just use the RPM sensor? Also, I think a simple accelerometer would cause the brake lights to come on while maintaining speed on a down grade, but the lights do not come on in this situation.

I was unable to conclusively prove that the brake lights work the way Tesla claims, only that it's not consistent with being based solely on kW. So I will choose to believe them on this, for now. Maintaining a constant speed on a downgrade does increase the G force in that direction - you are correct. But not substantially (unless it is a really big downgrade). The claim isn't that the brake lights come on whenever there is a G force increase in that direction, only the "appropriate" G force in that direction. So who knows?

It doesn't feel like it's the G force value, but more like amount of change in G force
I have a very steep long ramp on the way home (i live in hilly area) and my brake lights stay off unless i slow down harder
Otherwise, going down while slowly losing speed is still no light

I was unable to conclusively prove that the brake lights work the way Tesla claims, only that it's not consistent with being based solely on kW. So I will choose to believe them on this, for now. Maintaining a constant speed on a downgrade does increase the G force in that direction - you are correct. But not substantially (unless it is a really big downgrade). The claim isn't that the brake lights come on whenever there is a G force increase in that direction, only the "appropriate" G force in that direction. So who knows?

I've observed this on some fairly steep downgrades, but I don't remember exactly how much regen there was. It was definitely enough regen that the brake lights would have come on on level ground, so I think that would rule out both the power and an accelerometer as triggers.

I called Geico and inquired about a potential rate increase. They told me there is a "high probability" my rates would increase because of the Tesla.

I said great, you will be losing a customer. Hung up and called the broker I use for my homeowners policy in Newport Beach, CA. They gave me a quote through Mapfre Insurance which for $500/$500K limits (better than Geico's $300K/$500K limits.) for the same price, and for a 1 year rate lock term vs. Geico's 6 month term. Just got off the phone and paid the 1yr term in full and don't need to worry about Geico gouging me in a couple months.

My insurance just went down again. Second time this year. Went down about $5 per month. Last time it went down, it went down $25 per month. $120/month for my S and Dodge RAM pickup truck (liability only on the dodge). Not sure why, as I already have a clean driving record. Not sure what else changed. I figured with all of the high rate of Model S's being totaled versus repaired, that in general insurance rates would be climbing. Not complaining, just another data point for those of you out there.

@STEELER FEVER: I am interested in getting your expertise on a question another poster had. Is there an increase in insurance for the AWD version of a car vs RWD or FWD only (ex Audi). Just wondering if the 'D' model S will cost more to insure than a RWD S. I realize the change in HP will affect this somewhat.

Thanks

I changed from Allstate to Ameriprise (Costco). 250/500 BI and UM/UIM, 5,000 med pay , 100 dec comp and 1,000 ded collision, UMPD and the rate was about $325 for 6 months V. Allstate at $800. They took my new Jag "F" type and RX 350 Lexus for a 6 mont total of UNDER what Allstate wanted for the Tesla only!

Anybody have experience with Amerprise?