Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75% Insurance Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a chat with Progressive as I'm picking up my P85D by the end of the year (aka tomorrow or Wednesday).

They had to increase my premium once I specified the VIN and the fact that it wasn't a "Model S Base" and a P85D.

It was increased by $72 per month, (431 per 6mo).

I tried Ameriprise, Wawanesa, they won't insure me because I haven't had a US Drivers license for long (Got it in April when I moved from Aus).

Geico Quote was really expensive, more expensive than progressive even with the increase. Ah well, will stick with Progressive for a little while longer.

I clearly need to shop around again. My P85D is almost at $1k/6mo with Allstate, but I have 1m/1m/500k coverage, and full replacement value. My P85+ started around $600, and over the renewals climbed up to $720. When I was shopping around last year many companies wouldn't insure above 500k.

Virginia law doesn't allow household members to be excluded from specific vehicles, and I have an early 20's driver with only a few years history on my policy. :(

Virginia law doesn't allow household members to be excluded from specific vehicles, and I have an early 20's driver with only a few years history on my policy. :(

As you pointed out above, not all insurance is equal due to the coverage and the age and driving records / experience of other family members on the policy.
Also locality has some risk/cost effect on your quotation.

More proof of how evil auto insurance companies are.

Auto insurance companies always advertise how great their customer service is when needing to file a claim. You know why? Because they do nothing for you anywhere else. How much does claim customer service benefit me as a customer if I don't get into accidents? None! Diddly squat! You know what would be a good customer service? Not randomly raising rates by 75% when nothing about the customer's situation has changed.

The only time auto insurance companies have done something for me is when they abruptly cancelled my auto insurance when I lost my job. Didn't matter that I had a perfect driving record and could still pay the premiums. Impressive customer service there. I just wish they would start servicing my front end instead of my back end.

OMG my repair for a scratch was $8750+ it was not my fault (and I have a dash cam to prove it) now I am concerned that my Geigo is gonna skyrocket

The shop said go through your insurance then they will go after progressive (Her insurance) rather then try to get her insurance to pay hope that was not a mistake

Rear 1_4 Panel Damage.jpg

OMG my repair for a scratch was $8750+ it was not my fault (and I have a dash cam to prove it) now I am concerned that my Geigo is gonna skyrocket

The shop said go through your insurance then they will go after progressive (Her insurance) rather then try to get her insurance to pay hope that was not a mistake

View attachment 67701
Yes, that was a mistake. big one. I work at a body shop. ALWAYS leave your insurance out of the loop. because now it is a claim events despite whether or not they will get reimbursed from the other insurance, they will still markdown amount paid as coming from your account. and eight grand for that is nuts.

Also what you are seeing is the black marks are actually on the wrap and it was $8,750 I will post so photos of the work they did IMO they just took my insurance for a ride their excuse was aluminum work is much more expensive that steel work

Just checked the Progressive rates for renewal. It was about $600/six months. That has now gone up to $825 for six months. That is now with 2 accidents OFF my record. Before was WITH accidents on my record (Non-Tesla related, one was brake failure on my truck while pulling 5,000 lbs, and the other was driving through a construction zone, and hit a large chunk of concrete that was left on the freeway lane, and spun out...)

The response when calling Progressive...You Guessed it, the insane body shop repair costs :(

Huh, weird. I just got my Progressive renewal last night and my P85D with max coverages and $500 deductible will be $500/6mo. This is an increase of about $10. However, my wife's Volvo XC60 increased by the same amount, so it's not unique to the Tesla.

I guess it's true - insurance is a very local, individualized thing.

Huh, weird. I just got my Progressive renewal last night and my P85D with max coverages and $500 deductible will be $500/6mo. This is an increase of about $10. However, my wife's Volvo XC60 increased by the same amount, so it's not unique to the Tesla.

I guess it's true - insurance is a very local, individualized thing.

That's around what Progressive quoted me when I looked at getting insurance from them. Actually I had insurance with them but ended up moving because they ended up being one of the more expensive places. I get the impression that Progressive will insure a Tesla but they would really rather not given their high price. For comparison I pay about what you're paying every 6 months for a year (i.e. I'm paying half what you are). I was with Progressive for 15 years before this.

That's around what Progressive quoted me when I looked at getting insurance from them. Actually I had insurance with them but ended up moving because they ended up being one of the more expensive places. I get the impression that Progressive will insure a Tesla but they would really rather not given their high price. For comparison I pay about what you're paying every 6 months for a year (i.e. I'm paying half what you are). I was with Progressive for 15 years before this.

Ok, I'm all ears - who did you move to? PM me if you don't feel comfortable advertising.

Ok, I'm all ears - who did you move to? PM me if you don't feel comfortable advertising.

I meant to say I have PEMCO now. There's a discussion over in the Northwest forum about insurance and there's several other people who said they were happy with PEMCO. Note to anyone else looking, PEMCO only insures in Oregon and Washington and even then only on people that are good risks (i.e. no accidents, tickets, etc...). As always insurance is variable to a degree that makes comparing prices between different people not terribly useful, so it's entirely possible they won't be cheaper.

I meant to say I have PEMCO now. There's a discussion over in the Northwest forum about insurance and there's several other people who said they were happy with PEMCO. Note to anyone else looking, PEMCO only insures in Oregon and Washington and even then only on people that are good risks (i.e. no accidents, tickets, etc...). As always insurance is variable to a degree that makes comparing prices between different people not terribly useful, so it's entirely possible they won't be cheaper.

Yes indeed - YMMV. Just ran through the PEMCO online quote, and for us the same coverages and deductibles would be 50% more.