Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 lidars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this lovely vehicle on the Peninsula. Obviously a startup, I got out and tried to ask them more, but they were secretive (claiming stealth mode) and would only verify lidar (duh). I'm assuming varying orientation x 6 is to improve SNR of mapping for testing. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20170922_115835.jpg
    20170922_115835.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
One reason for this may also be preparing for minituriaziation of LIDARs, I doubt the massive roof modules will persist in the long run - perhaps something more akin to Faraday Future prototype with smaller extending LIDARs or Audi "Elaine" prototype with multiple integrated (low front diffuser) LIDARs...

Faraday-Future-FF91-electric-car.jpg

audi_elaine_lidar-jpg.248708

Could be the startling start of some smart taxi-service startup. They might be starting up by HD-mapping the start of the neighborhood, you know, for starters

That's the direction I'm leaning - I can't imagine that they need 6 LIDAR turrets to guide the car, and they all look to be identical units, so the comparison option seems out - but by running a bunch of them in parallel, they can make a more complete HD map more quickly.

I wouldn't have guessed that any application needed that many, but the evidence suggests that someone thinks it's helpful to them...