Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.0 - Public Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a notice for an update tonight.. could it be? How did I get in the beta?

Also: A public beta tester by definition is PUBLIC. It usually means anybody can join and you are not restricted when discussing it.

Tesla beta is not open to anyone. I hope it will never be. If you were invited you'd know, not an alarm clock surprise. I believe what musk means by public is non employees. He's not always conventional.

When I got in the car this morning it said it had an update to install. But I just did 5.9 a few days ago -- so I thought perhaps 6.0 was out. So when I got to the office, I installed it. And it's 5.9 (1.51.94). I didn't read what numbers were in the brackets (if any) before I did this latest update but maybe there are different versions of 5.9? Has anyone else updated to 5.9 twice like me?

When I got in the car this morning it said it had an update to install. But I just did 5.9 a few days ago -- so I thought perhaps 6.0 was out. So when I got to the office, I installed it. And it's 5.9 (1.51.94). I didn't read what numbers were in the brackets (if any) before I did this latest update but maybe there are different versions of 5.9? Has anyone else updated to 5.9 twice like me?

I'm pretty sure I saw others on Facebook that have upgraded to multiple different versions of 5.9. I do not think you are alone.

I don't usually do this, but getting annoyed! Please read at least a few pages of the thread before asking questions like "has anyone else_______?"

I don't usually do this, but getting annoyed! Please read at least a few pages of the thread before asking questions like "has anyone else_______?"

I just got my car recently, did an update, then had to do another one a few days later, and the same release notes and version came up -- to my surprise. This thread talks about multiple builds of 5.9 but I don't see a post where it says someone got 5.9 twice -- perhaps you can point that one out to me? It seemed strange to me, being a new owner of this car, that the same major revision was sent to me twice. I would think once a car has 5.9, if they make minor changes they don't send it someone who already has 5.9. But I'm sorry if my question didn't meet your test for what is allowed to be posted here.

I just got my car recently, did an update, then had to do another one a few days later, and the same release notes and version came up -- to my surprise. This thread talks about multiple builds of 5.9 but I don't see a post where it says someone got 5.9 twice -- perhaps you can point that one out to me? It seemed strange to me, being a new owner of this car, that the same major revision was sent to me twice. I would think once a car has 5.9, if they make minor changes they don't send it someone who already has 5.9. But I'm sorry if my question didn't meet your test for what is allowed to be posted here.

Sorry, posts all about 5.9 made me think I was in 5.9 thread. Which has all of that info in it. Didn't mean rude welcome. For each release there is a main thread discussing variants and what's in it

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29024-Firmware-5-9

Last edited:
I'm really hoping 6.0 finally does something about the deplorable integration of music playlists, artists, albums, songs, etc., with the Tesla entertainment system. I use my iPhone's Music app -- that is, when I can stand it -- to listen to my music in the car. But it's a hassle and then some. Every time I get in the car, the car has forgotten the album I was playing, and just randomly picks something from the 12 gig of music on my phone. So I have to fire up the phone, navigate through to a sub-menu to find list of albums, thumb through a long alphabetical list, find it, select it, and select song again, then fire up Music > Browse > My Devices > my device > play.

It's just ludicrous for a $100K car to have such a bad system. There are cars worth one-fifth the price that have far snazzier, better systems and user experiences. WTF, Tesla?

If Tesla is not going to have an open beta (like some software vendors are doing), Tesla could at least ask owners if they were interested in opting in as a beta tester - and expanding their pool of testers from those who have volunteered. Among Tesla owners, there are probably quite a few who have considerable experience in beta testing, can provide high quality feedback, and are willing to tolerate the bugginess of new software releases as part of their commitment to help Tesla provide a high quality product to all of their customers, while also agreeing to maintain confidentiality during the testing period.

Since Tesla continues to use a strategy of limited release followed by cycles of hold-fix bugs-resume for distribution, that indicates they could use more help in finding problems before software releases are distributed to all cars - and having more beta testers, especially those with testing experience - should be a benefit to Tesla and the entire owner community.

Here's my idea: Have 2,000 "slots" open for a Early Firmware Beta Program. You go to your teslamotors.com page to take a slot. The slots are "first come, first serve". There is a waiting list, if the slots are all taken. And -- this is the key -- all Signature owners are guaranteed a slot. This is why I suggest a number of slots bigger than 1000, so there is space if every Signature owners took one.

The idea is, it's quite transparent how to participate in the beta program and its a unique benefit to Signature owners who are clearly in need of something special (and more likely to be early adopter geeks).

Now, we know not all Signature owners will take a slot because some don't want the hassle of early bugs. So, there will likely be quite a few slots open. And, it's likely that people will cycle in/out of the program based on how they enjoy (or don't) having early buggy releases.

Further enhancement: require that participants fill out feedback surveys on early releases, and file bug reports using the center console of course. Failure to do so removes participant from the beta program. This prevents zombies from consuming scarce slots.

Why does everyone think that Tesla needs to change their beta program (expand it, make it open, etc)? Is it simply because you want to be one or do you believe there is some inherent flaw in their approach? I appreciate what the beta testers do and imagine it's a ton of work for both the testers and Tesla. If they don't need more, they shouldn't add more.

Why does everyone think that Tesla needs to change their beta program (expand it, make it open, etc)? Is it simply because you want to be one or do you believe there is some inherent flaw in their approach? I appreciate what the beta testers do and imagine it's a ton of work for both the testers and Tesla. If they don't need more, they shouldn't add more.

As Tesla continues to sell more cars - moving beyond the "early adopters", the start-stop process of distributing releases will break down and there will be a growing community of owners dissatisfied with getting releases with obvious bugs.

Since obvious bugs are still getting into the software releases - then their testing process needs improvement - and software releases need more testing - and with a growing number of configurations (including multiple languages), the additional testing can be done either through increasing the time for testing each new release OR increasing the number of people doing the testing.

Since we don't want them to slow down software releases (especially since there are multiple areas where the Tesla software is considerably behind - such as navigation and the audio system) - then by taking advantage of more of their owners willingness to help out during the beta testing process - they should be able to find more bugs during the testing process and improve the quality of the releases being distributed - without slowing down the release process.