Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are different versions of Tesla Vision Cameras to blame for the wide variance in perceived phantom braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2021 Refresh Model S. I have noticed that the image quality on my cameras is quite poor -- very pixelated, headlights at night cause massive flares in the image (to the point where even if if my human brain was interpreting just that image vs looking out the windshield, I'd slam on the brakes).

I noticed this tweet from Elon a few months ago saying that some owners need their onboard cameras upgraded (despite having the requisite HW) in order for the FSD beta to be enabled. I also recall this article noting that Samsung was going to provide new cameras with 5.0 MP sensors (and that the old ones were 1.2MP). We've also seen Tesla swap suppliers in and out (or just drop features altogether) due to component shortages.

My working hypothesis from all of this is that those of us who have particularly poor performance from Tesla vision based AP might have a lesser camera onboard our cars, either because a weaker camera was rotated in for a certain production run, or because past a certain date all new builds started getting Samsung cameras. It's notable that in threads where owners report on their experience with Tesla Vision there seem to be two cohorts: 1) "I get braking 5 times a day on my commute", and 2) "I actually think it's better than radar."

Does this theory hold water? Are there other sources out there that have cataloged what cameras (manufacturer / quality) Tesla has used during various production dates?

I don’t think the Samsung cameras are in production yet, and your 2021 car should have the best Tesla cameras currently available. FWIW, my 2018 S doesn’t do much phantom braking on the TV build and didn’t do much before either. Maybe you should have your cameras serviced, might be something wrong.

I tried to find data on CPU usage for current FSD Beta on HW3. Do we know what FSD Beta is pegging the total CPU power? Is it running at 100% with no room for further processing? Or is there still room, and it's only running at 75-80%?

I'm not sure if the exact CPU usage is known, but it is known that they've abandoned redundancy some time ago and have been using both nodes on HW3 to make things work. A few tweets that reference it, have to search around to find more details:

CPU usage is a moving target I'm sure, and they keep adding networks for new behaviors so it's probably more stretched than it was before.

EDIT: while searching I found this one too, suggesting HW4 isn't far off:

I'm not sure if the exact CPU usage is known, but it is known that they've abandoned redundancy some time ago and have been using both nodes on HW3 to make things work. A few tweets that reference it, have to search around to find more details:

CPU usage is a moving target I'm sure, and they keep adding networks for new behaviors so it's probably more stretched than it was before.

EDIT: while searching I found this one too, suggesting HW4 isn't far off:
My guess is that single-stack will help as well since they won't be running the older AP stack in shadow, or have to worry about swapping code in and out.

I don’t think the Samsung cameras are in production yet, and your 2021 car should have the best Tesla cameras currently available. FWIW, my 2018 S doesn’t do much phantom braking on the TV build and didn’t do much before either. Maybe you should have your cameras serviced, might be something wrong.
Do we know what upgrade Elon is referencing then? His message implies there have been different cameras used historically on cars that have shipped with (otherwise) FSD-capable hardware?

My guess is that single-stack will help as well since they won't be running the older AP stack in shadow, or have to worry about swapping code in and out.
I’ve wondered about how that works. Either the older AP stack can be instantly started, or like you said, it’s always running in shadow mode.

FSD Beta crashed twice on me today, and both times old AP immediately started being used. I wonder if part of going to single stack is having a new usable fallback option.

Reactions: Dewg
I’ve wondered about how that works. Either the older AP stack can be instantly started, or like you said, it’s always running in shadow mode.

FSD Beta crashed twice on me today, and both times old AP immediately started being used. I wonder if part of going to single stack is having a new usable fallback option.

Pre-FSDb, when the whole AP computer crashes, you lose the visualizations, lane keep, TACC etc until the whole thing reboots within a few mins. I assume it’ll be the same once they don’t have anything to fall back on.