Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Tesla MS Rumors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the Highland official announcement, I’ve read bits and pieces of some of those changes making it to the MX and MS. Changes such as front bumper camera, led ambient interior lighting, blind spot indicator in speaker grill, etc.

Yes, I know Tesla doesn’t follow a typical model year cadence but….. Any truth to these rumors?

I'd say the 2024 S, coming in the next couple of months, will have some minor changes like the 3, Highland, and I am expecting the new 4680 battery might be included on the 2024 low volume S and X. This new battery will almost definitely power the pickup truck, and I think it is being produced in quantities now. Also, I am suspicious that Tesla wants to move exiting inventory this quarter (end of September) more than ususal to clear out stocks to make way for the new 2024 model. I got an email that I can transfer my FSD to a new model free, so in addition to the HUGE discounts now available and the lower price FSD, Tesla is wanting to get some cash now as well.

Any truth to these rumors?
They are rumors. Not even rumors to be honest… mostly wishful thinking by people super duper worried they’re gonna miss out on something that doesn’t even exist yet. You are literally asking an unanswerable question.

Nobody here can answer this question for you. If someone can, because they work at a high level for Tesla, they most assuredly won’t.

But personally, I’d think it’s crazy to expect any major or even minor revisions to the S/X any time soon. Not gonna happen. They just put them on fire sale.

and I am expecting the new 4680 battery might be included on the 2024 low volume S and X.
I think the possibility of them re-engineering the S/X pack to fit a completely different - in every sense of the word - battery cell that they desperately need in new products that will actually make them money is infinitesimally small.

No friggin’ way. There’s literally no reason to do this - not the least of which being the 4680 has yet to achieve performance and energy density parity with the 18650, which is proven and readily available in pretty much any quantity Tesla wants.

I think the possibility of them re-engineering the S/X pack to fit a completely different - in every sense of the word - battery cell that they desperately need in new products that will actually make them money is infinitesimally small.

No friggin’ way. There’s literally no reason to do this - not the least of which being the 4680 has yet to achieve performance and energy density parity with the 18650, which is proven and readily available in pretty much any quantity Tesla wants.
Makes complete sense to me. Why would they invest in these low volume vehicles that seem to have a shrinking margin? I don’t know anything about these batteries but pouring money to figure out how to put them in the S/X makes no sense to me either. Just my uninformed opinion.

Hopefully it's more. The front bumper camera disappeared from the model 3 pics so curious if it actually makes it through.

The blind spot indicator just uses the same tech as today, so I'd rather continue looking at camera as it allows me to see multiple lanes easily.

LED lighting is good if you like that, I never cared for it.

Any truth to them? No one knows but Tesla. Are they worth it? Not for me.

“Put 4680 in everything” has always been the plan? I never interpreted it that way.
"Looking ahead, the 4680 battery is slated for far more Tesla models than just the Y. In fact, the plan is to place the 4680-type in every model, including the Cybertruck."

"The 4680 cells will be used in Tesla's Cybertruck, Semi, and Roadster models, as well as the upcoming Model S and Model X refresh."

Reactions: narth327
So with the Highland official announcement, I’ve read bits and pieces of some of those changes making it to the MX and MS. Changes such as front bumper camera, led ambient interior lighting, blind spot indicator in speaker grill, etc.

Yes, I know Tesla doesn’t follow a typical model year cadence but….. Any truth to these rumors?
The rumors started with the MY redesign as soon as the redesigned M3 was announced. I didn’t like the front of it; the rear and interior changes are welcome.

As far as MS redesign, if that comes to fruition it won’t be anytime soon, i.e. they need to have the redesigned MY first, which sells like hotcakes just like the M3.

In addition I could also mention the supposedly MS redesign could be ugly or weird looking, besides interior, tech, hardware changes. Take as example what BMW did with the disgusting-brand-killing-beaver grille with the 4, 7, i4, i7, iX, XM redesigns … I owned several Bimmers but won’t ever again until they fix this hideous grille, don’t care if the car flies or goes under water, I won’t drive that ever!

To put aside rumors, I imagine that Tesla will follow it's current strategy of making continous improvements to it's cars. Meaning, that as new technology or improvements become developed, they will be integrated into then current production. Things will simply begin appearing and new owners will report on their experiences. Trying to predict these things will be challenging.

The rumors started with the MY redesign as soon as the redesigned M3 was announced. I didn’t like the front of it; the rear and interior changes are welcome.

As far as MS redesign, if that comes to fruition it won’t be anytime soon, i.e. they need to have the redesigned MY first, which sells like hotcakes just like the M3.

In addition I could also mention the supposedly MS redesign could be ugly or weird looking, besides interior, tech, hardware changes. Take as example what BMW did with the disgusting-brand-killing-beaver grille with the 4, 7, i4, i7, iX, XM redesigns … I owned several Bimmers but won’t ever again until they fix this hideous grille, don’t care if the car flies or goes under water, I won’t drive that ever!
I am 100% on board with your opinion about the BMWs. I'll never buy another for the same reason.

As for any speculation on S upgrades, nothing to move the needle for me at all.

Reactions: racerx2005
"Looking ahead, the 4680 battery is slated for far more Tesla models than just the Y. In fact, the plan is to place the 4680-type in every model, including the Cybertruck."

"The 4680 cells will be used in Tesla's Cybertruck, Semi, and Roadster models, as well as the upcoming Model S and Model X refresh."
Respectfully, these just look like third party blogs writing speculative pieces to draw in eyeballs.

Tesla may have had a “4680 for all” fever dream at some point in the past - and that may still be the plan in the much longer term - but I just don’t see it happening for S/X any time soon. Seems like the lowest of all priorities to me. It would be a major redesign of the pack - the cells themselves are 2cm taller. And as of now, I don’t think they can match the performance of the existing 18650s.

Tesla seems super happy at the moment to get cells from anywhere they can, in any format. The 18650 supply is stable and plentiful. Why deliberately supply constrain themselves by moving to a new, scarce product they desperately need in new vehicles?

Respectfully, these just look like third party blogs writing speculative pieces to draw in eyeballs.
I was just illustrating that I have been reading about the 4680 coming to the S since 2020, and I agree the clips I chose were easiest available and not for know observers of Tesla. I agree this "refresh" or model year change may just have some minor changes. However, the one article attribute Musk as having said the new batteries will be coming to the S at the next refresh, which is in keeping with what I remember shortly after the "Battery Day" presentation in 2020. The batteries are better in every way, and would be less expensive for Tesla to make and use, once design changes are made to accomodate them. I think Musk wanted to use the 4680 in all Teslas eventually to make more money and compete with range leaders like Lucid. Of course, the technology has changed since 2020, so know one knows what Musk may do.

They are not putting 4680s into the low volume Model S/X anytime soon! They have a steady supply of cells from Japan, the cars are low volume, and they need every 4680 for the Cybertruck (and with there was excess, it'd go towards Model Ys).

The return on investment to make a major change to the Model S/X just isn't there due to it's low volume, especially since it was just had a major upgrade TWO years ago! The minor interior upgrade to ensure it still sells compared to the Model 3 Highland does make sense though.

Tesla is struggling to ramp 4680 production. The priorities for 4680 are the Cybertruck and Semi.

These aren’t rumors. Teslascope (great rep for early takes) and others have stated the S and X will receive a minor refresh with the new Model 3 functions. Put your business caps on - would make zero sense to not do this. I will be ordering a MSP once this happens.
Same. This is what’s preventing me from grabbing an S right now. I might miss out on the bottom price wise but that’s ok to get the slightly refreshed model. 2024 models will be 3 years since the refresh, it’s time.

Reactions: CleanDemon
Same. This is what’s preventing me from grabbing an S right now. I might miss out on the bottom price wise but that’s ok to get the slightly refreshed model. 2024 models will be 3 years since the refresh, it’s time.
Interesting discussion.

I'm on the other side. I ordered a MSP and I think I am going thru with the purchase. I totally get your point of view too. I could easily be swayed. But, timing things perfectly is difficult with Tesla. I've been eying a MSP, Lucid, I7 for a few months. I just think they value and the charging network is too good to pass up right now. I don't really care that much about any battery upgrades or ambient lights. I would love a HUD, but I don't see that coming. I think the chances are greater that a refresh would come with unimportant upgrades (to me) and a much higher price.