Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 100D Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had 2018 Model S 100D for a couple of months with purchase miles approx. 76K. Car is at 78K now. Was driving back on a 5 lane int. road at night when I hit the curb on the right damaging both wheels and putting gashes in both tires 2 weeks ago. Completely my fault and have never done anything like this in the 37 years that I have been driving. First time for everything. All my fault. Put brand new Michelins and had the wheels repaired but the color gloss was different and repair quality was not as good so place only charged me for tires. Went to car wash few days later and car stopped working. Wasted 3 hours trying to figure out and then after turning it off and waiting a few minutes started working. Yesterday rear drive side handle would not open the door nor from inside. Set up Tesla appt. for Dec 18 with an estimate of $431.XX. Today inside is working but driver door handle from outside does not do anything. Then when you go in D, it will try to unlock and then open as the "open door" sign come on. Was parked in front of dry cleaners this evening when the driver seat try to fold completely and I ended up getting stuck to the wheel. Happened 3 times. Drove to a more open parking and then tried to recalibrate the seat in service mode. Warning came on after I had started so ended up getting stuck, again, twice. Feel like back, upper GI were pushed into chest. Then all setting went away. Had to set up everything again. Drove home and now everytime I try to put in D, car unlocks and opens the rear door not so much as open to where someone can get in, but opens it so that the warning come on the dash. Seems undrivable. All of a sudden so many items are popping up that it is hard to keep up. Not impressed at all for even a expensive used car. Have had many others but this is ridiculous. Have just now parked it until next week Tesla tech arrives. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Car is out of warranty so self pay for everything. Back is hurting thus the rant. Hope no one faces similar issues. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:
Have had 2018 Model S 100D for a couple of months with purchase miles approx. 76K. Car is at 78K now. Was driving back on a 5 lane int. road at night when I hit the curb on the right damaging both wheels and putting gashes in both tires 2 weeks ago. Completely my fault and have never done anything like this in the 37 years that I have been driving. First time for everything. All my fault. Put brand new Michelins and had the wheels repaired but the color gloss was different and repair quality was not as good so place only charged me for tires. Went to car wash few days later and car stopped working. Wasted 3 hours trying to figure out and then after turning it off and waiting a few minutes started working. Yesterday rear drive side handle would not open the door nor from inside. Set up Tesla appt. for Dec 18 with an estimate of $431.XX. Today inside is working but driver door handle from outside does not do anything. Then when you go in D, it will try to unlock and then open as the "open door" sign come on. Was parked in front of dry cleaners this evening when the driver seat try to fold completely and I ended up getting stuck to the wheel. Happened 3 times. Drove to a more open parking and then tried to recalibrate the seat in service mode. Warning came on after I had started so ended up getting stuck, again, twice. Feel like back, upper GI were pushed into chest. Then all setting went away. Had to set up everything again. Drove home and now everytime I try to put in D, car unlocks and opens the rear door not so much as open to where someone can get in, but opens it so that the warning come on the dash. Seems undrivable. All of a sudden so many items are popping up that it is hard to keep up. Not impressed at all for even a expensive used car. Have had many others but this is ridiculous. Have just now parked it until next week Tesla tech arrives. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Car is out of warranty so self pay for everything. Back is hurting thus the rant. Hope no one faces similar issues. Just wanted to share.
It could be a bad ground causing these bizarre and random faults. Pull the Frunk tub, look for the ground stud RHS. Check with multimeter, s/b a ohm or less.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
$431.XX quoted per Tesla.

Sorry not familiar at all with the electrical components so I would probably mess it up. Will wait for the tech. The Tesla seat crushing maneuver can be extremely painful and dangerous to ones posture, bones, and joints, but could be fatal if a really overweight person is stuck in between. I could hardly breath.