Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasnt have any problems with the conversion. Just wondering if the quoted measure was GW or GWh, I mean the batteries are always quoted as GWh.

Batteries are quoted in KWh because they are energy storage devices. PV installations are quoted in KW because they are energy production devices. If your PV array is sized to produce 10 KW max when in full sun light, and you store the energy it produces during 1 hour at that power in your PowerWall, you've banked 10 KWh of energy.

Based on what? Why do we assume that building a solar roof shingle is the same as building a solar panel? I would assume that the panel that is large is more complicated to make, larger machines, tighter tolerances, more chances for imperfections and more changes for quality issues when compared to a 5x5 solar panel embedded in glass. I would assume they are building machines to make the glass part and that it would be pumping them out as fast a bullets from a machine gun?

Indeed, there may be many outside of TMC unable to distinguish between announcements about solar "roofs" and solar "panels". In fact some people may think today's announcement is about solar roofs for cars rather than homes. So share price reaction may have been developing more slowly today than might have been expected.

Based on what? Why do we assume that building a solar roof shingle is the same as building a solar panel? I would assume that the panel that is large is more complicated to make, larger machines, tighter tolerances, more chances for imperfections and more changes for quality issues when compared to a 5x5 solar panel embedded in glass. I would assume they are building machines to make the glass part and that it would be pumping them out as fast a bullets from a machine gun?

I'm not assuming any of the things you listed.

Annual production capacity at G2 is 1GW, per the 10-K, of which everyone here should keep a copy on their night stands.

I understand there's an option to ramp it up further, but I don't see electricity generation segment as a top priority for Tesla in the near term.

I'm not assuming any of the things you listed.

Annual production capacity at G2 is 1GW, per the 10-K, of which everyone here should keep a copy on their night stands.

I understand there's an option to ramp it up further, but I don't see electricity generation segment as a top priority for Tesla in the near term.

Im not an analyst but isn't the 10-K backward looking? I agree that Electricity Generation segment via panels was not a top priority, but i believe solar roofs, being much more profitable might be. I mean, why the F would they go through the trouble they have to date if they didnt intend of ramping production to capitalize on demand? They literally bought a company that specializes in the process of automating manufacturing processes and not everyone at Grohmann specializes in auto manufacturing.

Do we not think they have built machines to make these tiles and the integrated panels? I mean what the heck are we doing here if they cant climb this mountain, how the heck are they going to build a machine so complicated that it can build smaller machines that in turn drive us all around town without even requiring us to touch the steering wheel. Why even release a solar roof if they arent intending to sell the heck out of it.

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark
Some interesting tibits I've found in the 10-Q:

1. "recognition of $81.1 million of Autopilot 2.0 revenue during the three months ended March 31, 2017". Using 25k deliveries as a rough basis, this translates into AP2.0 recognized revenue of $3.2k if all cars have taken it. If they recognized the full $4k EAP revenue, then it would mean the take rate was slightly over 80%.

$81.1M also accounts for AP 2.0 revenue from Q4 cars as well which they had previously not booked?

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE and D-egg-O
Im not an analyst but isn't the 10-K backward looking? I agree that Electricity Generation segment via panels was not a top priority, but i believe solar roofs, being much more profitable might be. I mean, why the F would they go through the trouble they have to date if they didnt intend of ramping production to capitalize on demand? They literally bought a company that specializes in the process of automating manufacturing processes and not everyone at Grohmann specializes in auto manufacturing.

Do we not think they have built machines to make these tiles and the integrated panels? I mean what the heck are we doing here if they cant climb this mountain, how the heck are they going to build a machine so complicated that it can build smaller machines that in turn drive us all around town without even requiring us to touch the steering wheel. Why even release a solar roof if they arent intending to sell the heck out of it.
I'm sure they do intend to ramp and scale it. You have to start somewhere, and initial capacity of Buffalo only supports around 150k roofs/year.

That means that any reasonable pricetag that would satisfy Elon's assertion of it being a no-brainer just doesn't add up to much more than the noise in the TA revenue stream. Especially once Model 3 is rolling. They will scale, that's why GFs 3-6 are coming. But for now, the roofs don't have the volume to play much more than a cursory role to the bottom line.

Reactions: neroden
Wouldn't that cost be covered by Takata eventually?
"...This was partially offset by $26 million in warranty reserve for the Takata airbag recall and equipment impairment charges"
(somewhat ambiguous)

The warranty remedy in the Takata PO/contract may be limited to the supply of a replacement, non-defective part.

Takata may seek bankruptcy protection from it creditors.

Two key items of divergence between our lines of thinking:

1) You're looking at "well-head breakeven" and I only look at "full-cycle breakeven."

2) I see the actions of OPEC/NOPEC as indicative of extreme conviction - 100%+ compliance, unprecedented.

Anyway. This is not a crucial subject for TSLA, so let's agree to disagree, and see how 2H17 plays out. I expect $70+ oil by the end of year.
Full-cycle is broken in at least two ways. First, proven reserves are more than sufficient until such time as oil is removed from the energy markets. So there is no need to explore for new oil. This is the first way in which EVs have already disrupted the oil industry. They have made the concept of replacing reseves obsolete. It's far cheaper to build a Gigafactory than to find new oil.

Secondly, as oil demand declines in oil producing, net import countries like the US and China, these countries can switch to becoming net exporters. The issues for domestic producers in these countries are different than they are for oil exporting countries. Specifically, domestic producers will want to defend domestic market share from imports especially as domestic demand falls. So the costs of exporting are to be avoided if possible. So if full cycle includes the cost of exporting, that does not apply well to the situation that US producers find themselves in.

So the full cycle cost is breaking down, and Tesla very much is a contributor to these structural changes, even those the current volume of EVs is at a scale too low displace much oil. But Tesla's trajectory, nevertheless, is altering expectation about the value of reserves and global trade in oil. Specifically, US oil producers must keep the domestic price of crude below $50/b to hold onto domestic demand. In about 4 years the US could be a net exporter of oil, and the prospects of competiting in an export market is not as attractive as the domestic market.

I'm happy to take this up in the Shorting Oil thread. Just reply there.

Interesting note that the recent video from Prof Dahn where he said his team had already double cell life beyond what Tesla was currently using, along with some other interesting hints about the technology, has been removed. After watching it I thought maybe I should save it, but didn't.

fwiw, I had noticed the upload we all watched had been put there by the group at MIT that hosted Dahn's talk. I think this is suggestive that the request to take the video down came from someone (like Dahn or Tesla) that will likely do the same if any additional uploads are made.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
fwiw, I had noticed the upload we all watched had been put there by the group at MIT that hosted Dahn's talk. I think this is suggestive that the request to take the video down came from someone (like Dahn or Tesla) that will likely do the same if any additional uploads are made.
Who exactly was the group that hosted the talk?

I think that we should contact the group, or put an add in the mit paper to see if someone who attended would be willing to talk to us on a google hangout, about the contents of the missing segment.

Any TSLA investor calculated a projected cost per sqft for the solar roof?

Hi Fred - great work with Electrek!

I'm also in the camp that it's way too early to be speculating about Solar Roof's cost/profitability.

One thing I keep in mind on the electricity generation side of things is that new players swarmed in very quickly with solar panels and I don't see why that would be any different now.

Once Gigafactory 2 ramps up beyond 1 GW, Solar Roofs may show profit, but that's not in 2017, 2018, or maybe not in 2019.

Generally speaking, I see Solar Roof similar to Apple Pay: there to support the ecosystem and widen the moat, but not a huge profit generator itself. I hope that Elon proves me wrong.

Even when I look at it from a mission statement perspective, I see Tesla Energy prioritizing utility-scale stationary storage over Powerwall or Solar Roof.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Any TSLA investor calculated a projected cost per sqft for the solar roof?

If they're going to go for profitability over quantity of installs, like they are with their grid-scale products, I would guess cost will be somewhat on high end of traditional roofing materials. I did a quick check on tile roof costs for So Cal. Tiles only cost for a 2400 square foot roof ranges between $8-$11.50/sq. ft. Full install costs including removal of the old roof would be about $12-$18/sq. ft.

If Tesla prices their roof less than this, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Just figuring consumer cost. No idea on production cost.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Status
Not open for further replies.