Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like there is a general assumption in this thread at, least by many, that the roof product will be sold to roofing company's to install. I assume it will be 100% installed by Tesla crews. Is there any actual information one way or the other. If it is all going to be installed by Tesla, staffing up the roofing crews could take much longer than ramping up the manufacturing. Personally, I am looking forward to putting this product on my house in the next 5 years or so, and I would much rather have Tesla install, service, and warranty the whole system.

Never mind. Just read the website and Tesla does the install.

Last edited:
Price is higher than I expected.

I don't expect Solar Roof to generate Model 3-type waiting list anytime soon.

Back to the Model 3 ramp up.

I assume the Tesla solar roof sales team will be contacting builders of new homes. That could be a huge source for demand. The solar tiles will be easier and less costly to install on brand new homes.

I assume the Tesla solar roof sales team will be contacting builders of new homes. That could be a huge source for demand. The solar tiles will be easier and less costly to install on brand new homes.
THIS. I was very close to building a new home (2015), and I specifically asked the builder for an integrated solar system in the roof. He had no answer. Not to mention the potential for some cities to make solar/battery storage part of future building codes. It's early days still for the solar roof, but my wife (who absolutely hates the look of traditional solar panels) really likes the solar roof. So there's one data point.

Price is higher than I expected. I don't know where Tesla is getting its data, but roofs do not cost nearly that much on the East Coast...

I don't expect Solar Roof to generate Model 3-type waiting list anytime soon.

Back to the Model 3 ramp up.
Have you remembered to account for the cost to have that roof for 30 years? In 30 years, many houses need to be reshingled at least once, if not twice.

You're assuming homebuilders, which I follow very closely, will want to work with Tesla instead of a local provider.

I highly doubt it.

Beazer Homes would be a good candidate for this, since they pride themselves of being energy efficient etc.

But I still highly doubt it.

Toll Brothers may be a good candidate too, since they're luxury homebuilder.

But I really highly doubt it.

Glass is nice because it could actually be easy to work with. You can just score it and snap it, if its designed that way. They might need a special saw blade, but not a big issue. My guess is only the tiles that are active, ie.. have solar cells in them, would be super durable. There would be inactive tiles that are used on shaded parts of the roof and for edges and the other areas I identified above that will still be strong but also meant to be cut. If they cant cut these things, then the roof is a non-starter.

Edit: Sorry, wholes.. drill bits, just like any other roofing material. Its either something they can work with or it wont work as a roofing material. Nail wholes can be preformed, but the tiles that are active would snap into the rail. Screws are also used for fancier roofs.

You are comparing sheet glass to tempered glass. Try this: take your saw, drill, blades, and bits to an auto junkyard, find an undamaged (and un-removed) windshield, then drill a few 3 to 6 inch diameter holes or whatever shapes you thing will be needed for valleys and ridges with your tools.

As for the wiring rail for electrical connections, roofs around here have Tech-Shield (T) nailed flat to the rafters. Do the installers use theirs saws (with or without special blades) to cut channels in just the Tech-Shield (T) or also the rafters to fit the rail so the glass tiles lay flat?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.