Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To state the obvious, companies will buy Tesla Semis and Powerwall after the concepts are proven and after excruciatingly detailed internal analysis and inertia "overcoming". People that buy Roadsters and Model S/X/3/Y/Roadster, etc. are buying on the basis of the usual car-buying factors (largely vanity) plus the desire to personally make a difference, be a trendsetter, support the company mission, enjoy the thrilling performance........

Reactions: neroden
I disagree, Warren Buffet does not like tech stocks in general and TSLA in particular, so I doubt he would invest his money in Tesla trucks.

But he did invest in Apple so we will see. But TSLA is was too overvalued for him.

I'm not aware of Buffet ever commenting on Tesla. I actually tweeted Buffet* about Tesla a day or two before TSLA began its monster run in 2013. Based on value investing analysis, the stock looked deeply undervalued to me, and despite Buffet's investment in BYD, I liked the idea of his looking at what they are doing and possibly investing. Of course, I didn't really think he'd actually read my tweet, let alone, act on it. It's just that Tesla just struck me as a generational value investing opportunity Buffet could be blown away with given its extremely highly probable massive moat on massively underpriced earnings potential over the next decades, and, it looking like it would be the first major American heavy manufacturing success story in perhaps decades.

While not the once in a lifetime value investing opportunity on a risk/reward basis Tesla looked like in the $40s in 2013, it remains extremely compelling on a risk/reward basis as a value investment to me today.

I realize that there has been a many years long effort to make people think that Tesla is a "cult" stock, "can't be valued", "is a bubble", etc., etc. by repeating that nonsense over and over. Further and further repetition of nonsense may confuse more people with time, it doesn't change Tesla's probability weighted future earnings.

*well, I thought I'd tweeted him... a couple of years later it was pointed out to me I'd tweeted a fraudulent copy account.

Last edited:
here you go buddy... you can just start here:

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016
"Advancing 500k goal by 2 years to 2018."

here's some highlights:

@tentonine
"100,000-200,000 Model 3 in 2017!"

@Cattledog
"100K to 200K Model 3 at the end of next year?!!"

@Grendal
"Let's be clear. Tesla is not messing around with the Model 3. You don't say 100K to 200K in 2017 without really being serious about it happening."

@30seconds
"put 1,000,000 cars in your 2020 model"

@JRP3
"Fremont and GF could scale to 1million vehicles!"

@drinkerofkoolaid
"Important Take Aways:

1) 1million vehicle production by 2020.
2) The Gigafactory + Tesla Factory could theoretically produce 1 million vehicles. Elon mentioned this might not be advisable since ultimately 25-30% of sales will come from USA. At a minimum, a factory will be needed in Asia and in Europe.
5) Battery storage will be a bigger part of Tesla's business than vehicle sales. Tesla will likely provide an update on this in a few more months.
6) It is possible for Tesla to deliver 200-300k vehicles in 2017.
..."

Let's review the last one... "It is possible for Tesla to deliver 200-300k vehicles in 2017" -- does this sound like "Tesla will show videos of parking lots with 120 cars in it"?

How about #5... did Tesla provide an update on this "in a few more months"?... is "Battery storage will be a bigger part of Tesla's business than vehicle sales"?

Look at this... there's pages of posts on the 2016 thread during the Q1 ER that do NOT say "run rate"... you guys change your story over time and think it's all validated because the stock remains high.

credit should go to @anticitizen13.7 for being a voice of reason during the hubub... but you guys drank that coolaid just like ALL those publishing articles about the CC.

now fast forward to December of 2017... a video of 120 Model 3s in a parking lot gets posted and the stock moves up... from $315?

nothing Elon said in this CC came true... NOTHING. the Model 3 went into production in July?... come on. that was cash raise propaganda.

now let me guess... you guys don't think there'll be 500k in 2018, right?... because Elon said "run rate"?

and @techmaven... you got 9 likes, 6 loves and 3 informatives on your post starting with:

"This common bear narrative is hilarious. It works on the people that don't bother to do their own research."

@techmaven
"100k to 200k Model 3's in 2017!!!
Note that the Bolt is likely to ship only 30k in 2017."

are you talking about run rates there @techmaven?... is my "bear narrative" hilarious?... this is what you thought of Elon's words back then... and today you state: "So... clearly, he's expecting 500,000 run rate in 2018. Not total produced, but run rate. "

is that so... was "run rate" clear?... because to YOU it wasn't... of course... now it is though, right?

what a bunch of silly bears... what did we know back then.
As moderator, I have warned @myusername that simply reiterating incorrect statements, particularly since I think he knows better, is unacceptable.

Speaking for myself, now that I have to read these comments again, I understand the gut response to help understand and to correct statements, but would counsel resisting the urge.

Congratulations! You listed 7 links and not a single one from this board to support your shouted claim...
Please, do not equate the entire board with 1 overly optimistic member [snip].

we don't have to name names, but, yes, there was basically one person here misinterpreting those numbers as a likely outcome. virtually everyone else here was repeatedly trying to persuade that person that the actual numbers would not be anywhere near 100K or 200K.

Last edited:
That does require some conservatism. I personally handle this largely by keeping a large reserve of cash sufficient for several years' expenditures, and then allowing it to be depleted if now is not the right time to sell -- so I'm doing individual stock timing. (!) I'm pretty good at this so far but I definitely don't recommend it to other people. More consistent scheduled selling is probably sounder for most people.

Thanks for the thoughts. We have a similar approach except we don't do individual stock timing - too risky as you suggest.

here you go buddy... you can just start here:

"Advancing 500k goal by 2 years to 2018."

here's some highlights:

@tentonine
"100,000-200,000 Model 3 in 2017!"

@Cattledog
"100K to 200K Model 3 at the end of next year?!!"

@Grendal
"Let's be clear. Tesla is not messing around with the Model 3. You don't say 100K to 200K in 2017 without really being serious about it happening."

@30seconds
"put 1,000,000 cars in your 2020 model"

@JRP3
"Fremont and GF could scale to 1million vehicles!"

@drinkerofkoolaid
"Important Take Aways:

1) 1million vehicle production by 2020.
2) The Gigafactory + Tesla Factory could theoretically produce 1 million vehicles. Elon mentioned this might not be advisable since ultimately 25-30% of sales will come from USA. At a minimum, a factory will be needed in Asia and in Europe.
5) Battery storage will be a bigger part of Tesla's business than vehicle sales. Tesla will likely provide an update on this in a few more months.
6) It is possible for Tesla to deliver 200-300k vehicles in 2017.
..."

Let's review the last one... "It is possible for Tesla to deliver 200-300k vehicles in 2017" -- does this sound like "Tesla will show videos of parking lots with 120 cars in it"?

How about #5... did Tesla provide an update on this "in a few more months"?... is "Battery storage will be a bigger part of Tesla's business than vehicle sales"?

Look at this... there's pages of posts on the 2016 thread during the Q1 ER that do NOT say "run rate"... you guys change your story over time and think it's all validated because the stock remains high.

credit should go to @anticitizen13.7 for being a voice of reason during the hubub... but you guys drank that coolaid just like ALL those publishing articles about the CC.

now fast forward to December of 2017... a video of 120 Model 3s in a parking lot gets posted and the stock moves up... from $315?

nothing Elon said in this CC came true... NOTHING. the Model 3 went into production in July?... come on. that was cash raise propaganda.

now let me guess... you guys don't think there'll be 500k in 2018, right?... because Elon said "run rate"?

and @techmaven... you got 9 likes, 6 loves and 3 informatives on your post starting with:

"This common bear narrative is hilarious. It works on the people that don't bother to do their own research."

@techmaven

are you talking about run rates there @techmaven?... is my "bear narrative" hilarious?... this is what you thought of Elon's words back then... and today you state: "So... clearly, he's expecting 500,000 run rate in 2018. Not total produced, but run rate. "

is that so... was "run rate" clear?... because to YOU it wasn't... of course... now it is though, right?

what a bunch of silly bears... what did we know back then.

No one works this hard if they aren't getting paid.

@techmaven

Oh, definitely, a number of us did misinterpret that statement back in the first half of 2016. As it stands, I was also too optimistic for 30k Bolts in 2017.

But we've also had plenty of time to re-examine that statement with the follow up revisions. It's hilarious that you and other bears to still pointing to the misinterpretation in 2017, and especially at the end of 2017. This was sorted out over a year ago with updated projections and re-examination of his statements. And as it turns out, it was impossible for Musk to have been talking about total builds during that transcript. So if the accusation is that Musk meant 100,000 to 200,000 built in 2017 and that was therefore a willful lie, then the evidence within that same transcript debunks it. So either you know he didn't mean 100,000 to 200,000 vehicles built in 2017 and you continue down this path in an effort to deceive, or you don't know and you should re-examine the transcript in its entirety. We've already sorted this out here well over a year ago. Analysts have also sorted it out... no influential analyst baked into their projections the 100,000 to 200,000 vehicle build number. Even the build rate interpretation was heavily discounted.

Oh, definitely, a number of us did misinterpret that statement back in the first half of 2016. As it stands, I was also too optimistic for 30k Bolts in 2017.

But we've also had plenty of time to re-examine that statement with the follow up revisions. It's hilarious that you and other bears to still pointing to the misinterpretation in 2017, and especially at the end of 2017. This was sorted out over a year ago with updated projections and re-examination of his statements. And as it turns out, it was impossible for Musk to have been talking about total builds during that transcript. So if the accusation is that Musk meant 100,000 to 200,000 built in 2017 and that was therefore a willful lie, then the evidence within that same transcript debunks it. So either you know he didn't mean 100,000 to 200,000 vehicles built in 2017 and you continue down this path in an effort to deceive, or you don't know and you should re-examine the transcript in its entirety. We've already sorted this out here well over a year ago. Analysts have also sorted it out... no influential analyst baked into their projections the 100,000 to 200,000 vehicle build number. Even the build rate interpretation was heavily discounted.

fwiw, click on those links, nearly all the 100K, 200K comments were you guys just live blogging, i.e. passing on to other TMCers not on the earnings call, what was being said on the call live as it was happening. not analysis, agreement or disagreement, but just transmitting statements on as they were being presented in real time.

more games by m.u.n.. my recollection was this forum collectively never projected 100K-200K. With rare exception, we expected a ramp with bumps, delays, and lower production, precisely as Elon projected in his comments on that very same call which you posted here yesterday.

Waiting4M3 said:
Tesla wins fight over auto dealers’ communications in Michigan – we might get to see some secrets

"They have been trying to get the communications from three specific auto dealers and today, a judge denied an appeal from those dealerships, which should force them to turn over their communications to Tesla’s legal team."
Isn’t most of that stuff long since gone/destroyed/deleted?? They’ve had plenty of time to cover their tracks up until now.

IANAL, as they say (not a lawyer) but I believe it is very much frowned upon by the judiciary to destroy evidence in an ongoing case. If I'm not mistaken it is standard practice to petition the court to prohibit that, and contempt is not at all good for your own cause.

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
IANAL, as they say (not a lawyer) but I believe it is very much frowned upon by the judiciary to destroy evidence in an ongoing case. If I'm not mistaken it is standard practice to petition the court to prohibit that, and contempt is not at all good for your own cause.

Companies must retain certain records for years, including and especially emails. You are not supposed to be able to get away with deleting them and bleach biting them. Same goes for other organizations and individuals who are involved in a lawsuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.