Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk: "200k M3's delivered in 2017"

1yr later

Elon Musk: "5k/wk by end of 2017"

End of 2017

[,,,]

if you don't see where some people could see that as fraud, then you are intentionally blind.

This common bear narrative is hilarious. It works on the people that don't bother to do their own research. Seeking Alpha has the TSLA Q1 2016 earning call transcript:

Tesla Motors (TSLA) Elon Reeve Musk on Q1 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Musk lays out a slew of caveats and talks about the complexity and the likelihood that people will misunderstand:

At the risk of this being misinterpreted, and probably there will be some number of articles that do, I think it's worth explaining sort of how manufacturing a complex object with several thousand unique components actually works. And what date's relevant and – in order to achieve volume production of a new car with several thousand unique items, you actually have to set a target date internally and with suppliers that is quite aggressive. And that is a date that has to be taken seriously. So like the date, because I'm sure this will leak it's hard to keep a secret, really. The date we are setting with suppliers to get to a volume production capability with the Model 3 is July 1 next year.

He then goes on to say that he doesn't expect to actually achieve volume production on July 1:

Now, will we actually be able to achieve volume production on July 1 next year? Of course, not. The reason is that even if 99% of the internally produced items and supplier items are available on July 1, we still cannot produce the car because you cannot produce a car that is missing 1% of its component. Nonetheless, we need to both internally and with suppliers take that date seriously, and there needs to be some penalties for anyone internally or externally who does not meet that timeframe. This has to be the case, because there's just no way that you have several thousand components, all of whom make it on a particular date.

He specifically states the expected timetable for volume production:

So the reality is that the volume production will then be some number of months later as we solve the supply chain and internal production issues. But it is a bit of a confusing thing, and it does create some churn, because people are like, well, what's the real date? It's like, you have to take the July 1 date seriously in order for some date a few months later or some number of months later to actually be the real date. So, yeah, that's actually how it has to work. So in order for us to be confident of achieving volume production of Model 3 by late 2017, we actually have to set a date of mid-2017 and really hold people's feet to the fire internally and externally to achieve an actual volume production date of late 2017.

Then he says, "So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That's my expectation right now. Yeah, so that's the thing."

Now... go back earlier in the transcript.. he says:

I think the most important point here that we want to make is that we're advancing the Model 3 build plan substantially, and just the overall volume plan, with Tesla aiming to get to the half million unit per year run rate in 2018 instead of 2020. And this is based off of the tremendous [amount of interest] received for the Model 3, which I think is actually a fraction of the ultimate demand once people fully understand what the car's capable of and are able to do a test drive.

So... clearly, he's expecting 500,000 run rate in 2018. Not total produced, but run rate. Given that he thought run rate wouldn't hit 500,000 until some time in 2018, and he thought volume production wouldn't be achieved until late 2017, there is no way he thought 100,000 to 200,000 was about total produced especially given the s-curve that he's talked about over and over again. A single quarter at the full 500,000 per year run rate is 250,000 cars. But entering 2018, he wasn't thinking it would be 500,000 run rate. Now, if you look at the run rate of 100,000, that's 2,100 cars/week... at 200,000, that's 4,200 cars a week. That's consistent with guidance given in later touch points.

Of course, since Q1, 2016, there have been numerous additional updates. This 100,000 to 200,000 comment only comes here... and the rest of the communications from the company points to a run rate expectation, not a total produced expectation. The company guided for late 2017 volume production over and over again. Furthermore, serious investors always will discount future projections... furthermore, Tesla spent billions in capex to achieve volume production. The very attempt to achieve high volume production has been derided by bears as burning cash and, at the same time, the attempt is considered fraud? That's doesn't make sense at all. Again.. numbers are provided with a slew of caveats. It isn't right to ignore the caveats and point only to the numbers... and furthermore, to ignore follow up clarifications and updates.

If you really think it is fraud, bring it up with the SEC.

Last edited:
I don't know a great deal about Norway but the numbers coming out of there are fantastic. Hopefully someone with local knowledge can help me out with the following question.

It seems like the transition to EV's is continuing to increase in speed. Do you think it is only due to economic incentives or are there social factors at play? as an example, have you seen people who feel guilty for having/driving an ICE car? Is anyone being criticised for polluting the environment for driving an ICE car?

I could imagine many scenarios where social stigma becomes a factor in purchasing decisions once EVs hit a certain critical mass but have noting to base it on.

I live in the US, not Norway. I guess this is what's happening:

1. Norway's average income is very high, a high percentage of population can afford a Tesla.
2. They see their friends bought Teslas, they ask how is it.
3. The total ownership cost of Tesla is very competitive in Norway.
4. Norway's electricity comes from hydroelectric plants, it's clean. Most people don't like to pollute the planet.
5. For a while they were talking about a Tesla tax on Model X, which was defeated. The debate lead to increased awareness and more Model X sales.

I think in 2 years, 90% of new car purchases in Norway will be EVs, it's already around 50%. Norway shows the EV switch is indeed like digital camera replacing film camera. The world is not ready for the demand.

I live in the US, not Norway. I guess this is what's happening:

1. Norway's average income is very high, a high percentage of population can afford a Tesla.
2. They see their friends bought Teslas, they ask how is it.
3. The total ownership cost of Tesla is very competitive in Norway.
4. Norway's electricity comes from hydroelectric plants, it's clean. Most people don't like to pollute the planet.
5. For a while they were talking about a Tesla tax on Model X, which was defeated. The debate lead to increased awareness and more Model X sales.

I think in 2 years, 90% of new car purchases in Norway will be EVs, it's already around 50%. Norway shows the EV switch is indeed like digital camera replacing film camera. The world is not ready for the demand.

In Norway, The people taking deliveries now most likely placed their orders when the tax debate was going on.
(IMHO) I think we will see a similar scenario play out for S/X sales in US this quarter.

This common bear narrative is hilarious. It works on the people that don't bother to do their own research. Seeking Alpha has the TSLA Q1 2016 earning call transcript:

Tesla Motors (TSLA) Elon Reeve Musk on Q1 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Musk lays out a slew of caveats and talks about the complexity and the likelihood that people will misunderstand:

He then goes on to say that he doesn't expect to actually achieve volume production on July 1:

He specifically states the expected timetable for volume production:

Then he says, "So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That's my expectation right now. Yeah, so that's the thing."

Now... go back earlier in the transcript.. he says:

So... clearly, he's expecting 500,000 run rate in 2018. Not total produced, but run rate. Given that he thought run rate wouldn't hit 500,000 until some time in 2018, and he thought volume production wouldn't be achieved until late 2017, there is no way he thought 100,000 to 200,000 was about total produced especially given the s-curve that he's talked about over and over again. A single quarter at the full 500,000 per year run rate is 250,000 cars. But entering 2018, he wasn't thinking it would be 500,000 run rate. Now, if you look at the run rate of 100,000, that's 2,100 cars/week... at 200,000, that's 4,200 cars a week. That's consistent with guidance given in later touch points.

Of course, since Q1, 2016, there have been numerous additional updates. This 100,000 to 200,000 comment only comes here... and the rest of the communications from the company points to a run rate expectation, not a total produced expectation. The company guided for late 2017 volume production over and over again. Furthermore, serious investors always will discount future projections... furthermore, Tesla spent billions in capex to achieve volume production. The very attempt to achieve high volume production has been derided by bears as burning cash and, at the same time, the attempt is considered fraud? That's doesn't make sense at all. Again.. numbers are provided with a slew of caveats. It isn't right to ignore the caveats and point only to the numbers... and furthermore, to ignore follow up clarifications and updates.

If you really think it is fraud, bring it up with the SEC.
WHAT? Bear Narrative?

this is completely unreal. this board goes from "woh... did he just say 200k in 2017... that's going to jack the SP up for sure!"... to "this kind of bear narrative"... dude... just 9 months ago people on this board were talking about 100k in 2017... just 3 months ago you guys were talking about 35k... WHERE DO YOU THINK THOSE NUMBERS CAME FROM?

TESLA UPDATES: Elon Musk: up to 200k Model 3s by end of 2017
Tesla wants to make up to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of 2017
Tesla May Build 200,000 Model 3 Cars By End Of 2017 - Gas 2
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-now-gunning-to-produce-half-a-million-cars-ann-1774805496
Elon Musk Gives Update on Tesla Model 3
Forbes Welcome
Musk Thinks Tesla Could Build Up to 200,000 Model 3s by the End of 2017

It was ME in 2016 calling bull**** on these numbers -- posting what you just posted -- while it was those on this board accusing me of spreading FUD... and here we are...

120 cars in a parking lot.

WHAT? Bear Narrative?

this is completely unreal. this board goes from "woh... did he just say 200k in 2017... that's going to jack the SP up for sure!"... to "this kind of bear narrative"... dude... just 9 months ago people on this board were talking about 100k in 2017... just 3 months ago you guys were talking about 35k... WHERE DO YOU THINK THOSE NUMBERS CAME FROM?

TESLA UPDATES: Elon Musk: up to 200k Model 3s by end of 2017
Tesla wants to make up to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of 2017
Tesla May Build 200,000 Model 3 Cars By End Of 2017 - Gas 2
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-now-gunning-to-produce-half-a-million-cars-ann-1774805496
Elon Musk Gives Update on Tesla Model 3
Forbes Welcome
Musk Thinks Tesla Could Build Up to 200,000 Model 3s by the End of 2017

It was ME in 2016 calling bull**** on these numbers -- posting what you just posted -- while it was those on this board accusing me of spreading FUD... and here we are...

120 cars in a parking lot.

Leeme tell you about my cousins: For 9 months they said they would have a child in 2016... They didn't. It was born Jan 1, 2017. Liars.
Wasn't one kid either.. triplets... dirty stinking liars
Then they had twins later in the year. I don't care that they had 5 kids in 2017, they said they were going to have a kid in 2016...
See if I go any birthday parties!
(no, not really my cousins)

Can I ask, why do you even care? If you own stock, you are probably up from the purchase, if you are a short, you may just be trying to justify your life decisions. If you are trying to protect others, you need to improve your communication strategy. If you are an ex, you need to move on.

Leeme tell you about my cousins: For 9 months they said they would have a child in 2016... They didn't. It was born Jan 1, 2017. Liars.
Wasn't one kid either.. triplets... dirty stinking liars
Then they had twins later in the year. I don't care that they had 5 kids in 2017, they said they were going to have a kid in 2016...
See if I go any birthday parties!
(no, not really my cousins)

Can I ask, why do you even care? If you own stock, you are probably up from the purchase, if you are a short, you may just be trying to justify your life decisions. If you are trying to protect others, you need to improve your communication strategy. If you are an ex, you need to move on.
what?

I disagree, Warren Buffet does not like tech stocks in general and TSLA in particular, so I doubt he would invest his money in Tesla trucks.

But he did invest in Apple so we will see. But TSLA is was too overvalued for him.

Even if Buffett (or anyone else) does not understand TSLA stock, that should not prevent him from having his companies consider the purchase of Tesla semi trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.