Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd call attention to this prescient analysis, for no particular reason.

As someone who ordered an S during a refresh last year, I can speak from experience on this. Basically they DO run two versions of the configurator; maintaining both until everyone is out of the old system. You can speak with your rep at Tesla and ask them to switch you over to the "new" configurator, but they warn you that A) You can't go back to the old one and B) You will be stuck with the new pricing whether it's higher or lower.

I chose to switch because the "new" version made some options a bit cheaper (and some features were folded into the Premium upgrade that weren't there before), but I think the final price ended up being something like $100 less in the end.

As someone who ordered an S during a refresh last year, I can speak from experience on this. Basically they DO run two versions of the configurator; maintaining both until everyone is out of the old system. You can speak with your rep at Tesla and ask them to switch you over to the "new" configurator, but they warn you that A) You can't go back to the old one and B) You will be stuck with the new pricing whether it's higher or lower.

I chose to switch because the "new" version made some options a bit cheaper (and some features were folded into the Premium upgrade that weren't there before), but I think the final price ended up being something like $100 less in the end.

That's not consistent with what I'm hearing from people who have orders pending in the system today, but it's still early.

So the front console looks different....

Old
model-s-interior-with-next-generation-leather-seats.jpg

New

I wonder if the new LED lights with cornering would be retrofittable on original version. That would be cool to be able to do that.

I also just noticed on the website on the specs page that it says navigation and maps updates are free for 7 years. Was it always like this? I knew that our 4g LTE had a 4 yr free service, but didn't know there was a limit on maps/navigation for free updates

Last edited:
Different nose for different folks?

In my (not-so-humble) opinion, I am not a big fan of faux grilles, and think that the Model X slit looks worse than the Model S cone. If I had my way, the Models S, X, and 3 would all look much better by simply tapering and blending the front end to the hood and body, like this 'shopped variation on the latter:

3_best_lg.jpg

Perhaps I'm partial to such front ends because I really loved the look of an Alfa Romeo Spider that I once owned:

alfa.jpg

It is also one of the reasons I still wish an automaker would resurrect the EV1:

ev1.jpg

In short... the less one notices the lack of a grill... the better. Others... will disagree... adamantly.

Different nose for different folks?

In my (not-so-humble) opinion, I am not a big fan of faux grilles, and think that the Model X slit looks worse than the Model S cone. If I had my way, the Models S, X, and 3 would all look much better by simply tapering and blending the front end to the hood and body, like this 'shopped variation on the latter:

3_best_lg.jpg

I agree-- that's a fantastic look for the line. I like the M3 nose.. I don't like the S or X with that open gap and Tesla "T". If it were just a smooth ridge like this photo -- WOW. But it's not that. :(