Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012/2013 Awards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not at all surprised at the ignorant vitriol in the Yahoo comments, that is consistently among the stupidest collection of posters on the internet. I would've expected a little better of Automobile's readership. The knee-jerk hatred of EVs reminds me of when I was a kid in the '80's and I knew, because I was told, that Japanese car were inferior junk compared to domestic cars. It wasn't until I was a teenager and I started learning about cars for myself that Japanese were kicking our ass. It will take time, if ever, to convince the troglodytes.

What are the other big awards to aim for? I don't know the North American market that well to know if the Yahoo or Automobile awards are a big deal or not.

Either way, congratulations to the entire Tesla team... their first "real" car winning automobile of the year from any reasonable publication is awesome!

After reading and responding to soooo many nonsensical negative comments to articels like these it is clear that it is like arguing with the crazies in the street.... you know you are right but you know you are going to end up angry and will impress no one.

I'm not at all surprised at the ignorant vitriol in the Yahoo comments, that is consistently among the stupidest collection of posters on the internet. I would've expected a little better of Automobile's readership. The knee-jerk hatred of EVs reminds me of when I was a kid in the '80's and I knew, because I was told, that Japanese car were inferior junk compared to domestic cars. It wasn't until I was a teenager and I started learning about cars for myself that Japanese were kicking our ass. It will take time, if ever, to convince the troglodytes.

Welcome to the forum, Rob.

I'd think Motortrend would be the other big one.

Cynic says they are bought and paid for.

- - - Updated - - -

For the commenters:

I would advise anyone in this comment section to drive this car before writing anything. You just can't compare it to any other car experience you have ever had.
Iphone over cellphone, CDs over vinyl, microwave over oven, Google over Metacrawler. It's the kind of ride people pay for at an amusement park everyday. This is the beginning of the new automobile. Drive it and you will know

I'd think Motortrend would be the other big one.

I would think so as well but, unfortunately, it looks like Model S didn't make the Motor Trend COTY (2013) list.

Based on what I found the Motor Trend COTY 2013 contenders are:
Acura ILX
BMW 3 Series
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac XTS
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Spark
CODA EV Sedan
Dodge Dart
Ford C-Max
Ford Fusion
Honda Accord
Hyundai Azera
Lexus ES

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender: Lexus ES - WOT on Motor Trend

It will be Motor Trend 2013 Car of the Year instead. It missed some timing deadline to be considered. Tesla rightfully chose not to focus on the awards and instead dove right into taking care of their customers and cranking up production. They gave Motor Trend a car but they were limited to one or two hours and by the time they could have one for longer (Elon's personal car) it was just too late.

I would think so as well but, unfortunately, it looks like Model S didn't make the Motor Trend COTY (2013) list.

Based on what I found the Motor Trend COTY 2013 contenders are:
Acura ILX
BMW 3 Series
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac XTS
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Spark
CODA EV Sedan
Dodge Dart
Ford C-Max
Ford Fusion
Honda Accord
Hyundai Azera
Lexus ES

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender: Lexus ES - WOT on Motor Trend

I think the list is not complete.
Look at the list again, it is listed by alphabetical order. Subaru BRZ/Toyota FRS twins are widely recognized as the best affordable sport coupes in recent years and they are not even on the list which reinforced my opinion that the list is not complete.

If CODA can be a contender, why not Model S?

Last edited:
It will be Motor Trend 2013 Car of the Year instead. It missed some timing deadline to be considered.

That sounds logical to me.

Every reference I found to the contender list stopped at the car being reviewed, in alphabetical order. I don't know if they're doing that on purpose ("alphabetic unveil of the list") or it's a glitch. Either way, not a fan.

I think you're correct on that. I tried to hunt down a complete COTY list but didn't have any luck. As Grendal mentioned, maybe it will get on the list for 2013.

Every reference I found to the contender list stopped at the car being reviewed, in alphabetical order. I don't know if they're doing that on purpose ("alphabetic unveil of the list") or it's a glitch. Either way, not a fan.
I'm more convinced after looking deeper that my theory of alphabetic unveil is right:
  • October 25 - Acura ILX [24/38, 25.9-34.4]
  • October 26 - BMW 3 Series [20/33, 36.5-44.8]
  • October 27 - Cadillac ATS [N/A, 33.0-47.8]
  • October 27 - Cadillac XTS [17/28, 44.1-60.4]
  • October 28 - Chevrolet Malibu [22/37, 22.4-27.8]
  • October 28 - Chevrolet Spark [32/38, 12.2-15.0]
  • October 29 - CODA EV Sedan [?]
  • October 29 - Dodge Dart [25/36, 16.0-22.5]
  • October 30 - Ford C-Max [N/A, 25.2-33.0]
  • October 30 - Ford Fusion [N/A, 21.7-32.2]
  • October 31 - Honda Accord [18/36, 22.5-33.4]
  • November 1 - Hyundai Azera [20/30, 32.3]
  • November 1 - Lexus ES [multiple, 36.1-38.9]
  • November 2 - Lexus GS [multiple, 46.9-59.0]
  • November 2 - Lexus LS [multiple, 72.0-119.9]
  • November 3 - Mercedes-Benz SL-Class [16/25, 105.5-145.8]
  • November 4 - Nissan Altima [22/38, 21.5-30.1]
  • November 4 - Nissan Sentra [27/40, 16.0-19.8]
  • November 5 - Porsche 911 [16/27, 82.1-172.1]
  • November 5 - Porsche Boxster [20/30, 49.5-60.9]
  • November 6 - Scion FR-S [22/34, 24.2-25.3]
  • November 6 - Subaru BRZ [22/30, 25.5-27.5]
  • November 7 - Tesla Model S [N/A, 77.4-105.4]
  • November 8 - Toyota Avalon [multiple, 40.4-43.9]
  • November 8 - Toyota Prius C [51/48, 19.7-25.1]
  • November 9 - ?
  • November 10 - ?
  • November 11 - ?
Motor Trend Staff said:
Check back to MotorTrend.com on November 12 to discover what will become the 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year!

I bet (one of) today's (11/2) review(s) is the Lincoln MKZ.

Updated 11/2: Lexus GS, Lexus LS.
Updated 11/3: Mercedes-Benz SL-Class.
Updated 11/4: Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra.
Updated 11/5: Porsche 911, Porsche Boxster.
Updated 11/6: Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ.
Updated 11/7: Tesla Model S.
Updated 11/8: Toyota Avalon, Toyota Prius C.

Some additional guesses:
- Scion FR-S ("named Hottest Sport Compact at the show by SEMA")
- Smart fortwo
- SRT Viper

Notes:
- Oddly the Lexus GS article was posted sometime before noon Pacific with a timestamp of 10:47 AM. As of 5:20 PM Pacific, it now says it was posted at 4:00 PM.
- Was wrong on my MKZ guess.
- Numbers in brackets are MPG city/hwy and price range. I suspected it was part of their criteria.

Last edited:
Confirmation my MT today that they are not finished revealing the contenders!

Yes they wrote it in the Acura reviews:

Check back on WOT every day as we run through the contenders in alphabetical order before giving you the chance to vote for your unofficial favorite and announcing the winner on MotorTrend.com on Monday November 12.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy, the hatred, ignorance and partisanship in the comments are so terrible that at one point the Y! Autos Staff simply went "Sigh" in their response.

Yahoo came out with a separate article to respond to the comments.
What it means for Tesla to be our Car of the Year, and why it matters

This closing statement was really good:
the onus will be on every outlet that chooses something besides the Tesla Model S as their Car of the Year to explain why it's not.

Yahoo came out with a separate article to respond to the comments.
What it means for Tesla to be our Car of the Year, and why it matters
That's the clearest picture I've seen of the side badging Signature text:
teslaoutcry.jpg