Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012/2013 Awards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were Tesla and MT said they have not had (a) Tesla(s) to test for car of the year, I would dedicate the next 10 cars off the line to the magazine put them on a car carrier to Detroit (or wherever) and deliver cars to each of their reporters at their homes the next morning.

If I were Tesla and MT said they have not had (a) Tesla(s) to test for car of the year, I would dedicate the next 10 cars off the line to the magazine put them on a car carrier to Detroit (or wherever) and deliver cars to each of their reporters at their homes the next morning.

It's officially a candidate per the MT website. Also per the website, the winner is announced on the 12th.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So happy to see this. I am sure that after word got out that almost all other COTY reviews were including the S they realized that they had no choice. It was a lame excuse in the first place. If you had the car a few times for write-ups you had the opportunity to check it out for COTY.

I actually don't. Take a look at the industry and show me what manufacturer uses their mid market sedan to showcase and develop the brand identity. The highest end exotics are the ones who push the envelope and have that exaggerated iconic branded look. I know for a fact that Franz knows where he is taking the brand... The Model S embraces this look, but the Model S is not the car he is basing the "TESLA look" off of. The Model S simply took this look and ran with it.

It will all make more sense when more models are presented.

Your mass market cars are always "safe". I actually think that he did an amazing job creating a visually striking vehicle while maintaining mass appeal.

I don't know, a lot of mass market cars confirm and support an identity....Audi, BMW, the new Mercs, Ford, Dodge, Cadillac etc. I think the Japanese brands are less effective at this, Toyota and Honda do have an identity, but it's far from iconic. The Korean brands are a bland combination of everything. Personally I think the front-end of the S (and X) are a little soft, I would have preferred a little more aggression in the look, but in a sophisticated way (a la Aston Martin) rather than an angry way (Dodge Charger).

Confirm and support I can agree with, but not create the brand identity. The more exotic and expensive cars set the tone and the mid market cars support and confirm this identity. TESLA is in a different position where they have brought the mid market car out before the exotic ect...

I agree with their tactic to not create the brand identity too strongly with the S. Like I said earlier.... I will all fall into place soon...

End of story is that Model S confirms and supports brand identity the issue is that the identity has yet to be set with the high end model that is not yet available.

The roadster didn't set any brand identity? Isn't the performance s a 100k car? Shouldn't that set some brand identity e.g. Audi s8. I wouldn't call the s a mid range car especially when BMWs most expensive cars are around the same price e.g, m5.

Peter you are spot on with the aston martin direction I wanted tesla to go. I do think it is a bit too subtle, but hopefully that results in not scaring away conservative buyers who don't want to be seen in a an exotic and who were buying audis which to me all look very similiar to one another sans the r8

The "failed to brand" concept is just silly.

It's impossible to say the Tesla did not create a brand without seeing the next car.

Maybe he is looking for an exaggerated vent scoop or a Fisker grill but every nuance of the Model S front end could BE the brand.
And by the way, Franz did an upgrade to the Roadster front end to have both cars share the same design language.

Popular Science magazine December 2012 issue
100 Innovations of the year and has Model S on the cover.

popularscience.jpg