Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Eligible 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently brought a 2013 Tesla Model S with only about 80K miles, one owner from a non tesla dealership. When I brought the car I saw the message that said to add payment to use supercharging. Did that and when I went to supercharge, it would not work. I call tesla and they said I have to pay 2K for the supercharge upgrade, even though my specs&warranty page on the app states I already gave supercharging. Any advice? Has anyone else dealt with this?

I recently brought a 2013 Tesla Model S with only about 80K miles, one owner from a non tesla dealership. When I brought the car I saw the message that said to add payment to use supercharging. Did that and when I went to supercharge, it would not work. I call tesla and they said I have to pay 2K for the supercharge upgrade, even though my specs&warranty page on the app states I already gave supercharging. Any advice? Has anyone else dealt with this?

It's hard to diagnose if you don't include what kind of an S: 100, 90, 85, 75, 60, 40?

Reactions: bmah
Upvote 0
It's very possible you may have found a MS that never had the ability to supercharge. I remember reading somewhere that supercharging was an option when the MS first came out. Some buyers may have opted out of paying $2k for that option. At some point earlier on, supercharging was added as standard.

Someone can correct me where I'm wrong on this notion.

Reactions: Hookemhorns
Upvote 0
It's very possible you may have found a MS that never had the ability to supercharge. I remember reading somewhere that supercharging was an option when the MS first came out. Some buyers may have opted out of paying $2k for that option. At some point earlier on, supercharging was added as standard.

Someone can correct me where I'm wrong on this notion.

It used to cost for some owners an extra $2,500, and it was on a basement bargaining sale price of $2,000 for a limited time. See 2013 discussion:

Upvote 0
Yes, this is why I passed on a local Model S60 at a local dealer's lot (we don't get many Teslas for sale around me). I did the Tesla VIN decoder and noticed there were versions of the Model S that didn't get supercharging at all, only A/C charging. The initial purchaser saved a couple grand but it could be added for $2000. Frankly, I'm surprised Tesla is even offering the upgrade on a 10 year old vehicle.

Upvote 0
Can you check if the 2k is still valid? I have the same situation and was quote $12K to activate.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
I just bought a 2013 model s 40 (has a 60kwh battery software locked to 40kw). I have the same issue with no supercharging unless I pay to unlock it. I don’t remember the price but I am unlikely to do it since I drive almost exclusively around town. I would still love to have it just not sure it’s worth what they would charge.

Upvote 0