Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 Upgraded Electronics (Alpine) Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I downloaded the firmware, there was also a PDF file with instructions. Then I looked at the info screen on my radio and the update had already been applied! So check first, you might not need it.

hello.. i am totally new to the alpine monitors.. just bought the ina-w900bt used.. everything is hooked up and works great... but i can not get my phone to connect .. i own a motorola droid.. i read the manual.. and it tells me to go to source settings and select bluetooth... the only source setting is for the dvd... my phone is picking up the kce-400bt..... but will not pair... do i need to do an update?? and how do i go about doing that?? do i need a laptop in the car?? please help me!!

I think to get the Bluetooth setup you need to have the car in park and cycle the handbrake a few times before it is available. I don't know about your phone, but I know the kce400bt needs a firmware update to work with the iPhone 4s, which I don't know it's availability

anyone try to update the firmware with the 900bt firmware? I am trying to do this now but it gets stuck at 97%...might be time to replace this pos head unit

anyone try to update the firmware with the 900bt firmware? I am trying to do this now but it gets stuck at 97%...might be time to replace this pos head unit

See if the Tesla service can take care of it next time they work on the car (not ideal of course) but I was able to upgrade the firmware without any trouble. I agree though, it's a terrible unit. I've been waiting for something that's a significant enough of an upgrade to make the change worth it. No one can seem to design a unit, even one that costs $1,400, that has the interface or navigation of my $300 TomTom.

See if the Tesla service can take care of it next time they work on the car (not ideal of course) but I was able to upgrade the firmware without any trouble. I agree though, it's a terrible unit. I've been waiting for something that's a significant enough of an upgrade to make the change worth it. No one can seem to design a unit, even one that costs $1,400, that has the interface or navigation of my $300 TomTom.

Finally got it to work after the third time (nice way to spend a sat night :biggrin:).....I think the only difference that I notice is the icons seem to be smaller. I am planning on removing this thing completely from the car once I find a decent replacement. I think the Eclipse nav units (Toyota and Lexus use them) are pretty good and that is what I am contemplating replacing this one with. It just seems like it may be a lot of work if the rear camera is a proprietary alpine part etc.

The other option is a Kenwood unit that uses Garmin nav software, I know that you can load Custom Points of Interest on Garmins via POI loader so it would be possible to load updated charging stations to the nav unit periodically.

Great. Biggest change I noticed is that it only takes 2 steps instead of 4 or so to cancel a route in progress (hit Nav Menu then cancel route). Before it was hidden in a sub menu.

CES just happened. The model in the Roadster is now 2 years old so hopefully someone at least announced something useful. I'll take a look. It must be a very small market at this price so no one bothers to innovate. I had looked at the Sony XNV-770BT before but didn't get great reviews and isn't really new anymore. Would have thought they would update it at some point.

Alpine announced a new unit
Alpine's INE-Z928HD in-car DVD receiver goes 8-inches in a double-DIN -- Engadget
replacing it with an Alpine would be easiest since I think it should just be a drop in replacement if the connections are the same. I'm not really happy with how Alpine created the user interface or supports their products though. Pioneer has the new AVIC-Z140BH which looks good.

Last edited:
Great. Biggest change I noticed is that it only takes 2 steps instead of 4 or so to cancel a route in progress (hit Nav Menu then cancel route). Before it was hidden in a sub menu.

CES just happened. The model in the Roadster is now 2 years old so hopefully someone at least announced something useful. I'll take a look. It must be a very small market at this price so no one bothers to innovate. I had looked at the Sony XNV-770BT before but didn't get great reviews and isn't really new anymore. Would have thought they would update it at some point.

Alpine announced a new unit
Alpine's INE-Z928HD in-car DVD receiver goes 8-inches in a double-DIN -- Engadget
replacing it with an Alpine would be easiest since I think it should just be a drop in replacement if the connections are the same. I'm not really happy with how Alpine created the user interface or supports their products though. Pioneer has the new AVIC-Z140BH which looks good.

Interesting alpine unit, looks like the 910 but with a bigger screen...I ordered a remote from crutchfield for 900 head unit, I think this will make navigating the menus a lot easier. From the reviews of the remote control people claim that it is a lot more intuitive to use than the nested options in the GUI. The biggest problem that I see with the unit is the search functionality, it is probably the most frustrating interface I have ever used.

I really prefer the JVC single DIN nav unit in the other roadster to this one.

The worst part about the Alpine music system is if you have a few hundred artists on your iPod, you have to scroll down and can't type in a few letters to narrow your search. Also, if you're in a album and want to back up to the artist to review other albums, it takes you all the way back to the start of the artists and you have to scroll back down. Hopefully they fixed this with the new unit. I agree, one of the worst user interfaces I've seen.

The worst part about the Alpine music system is if you have a few hundred artists on your iPod, you have to scroll down and can't type in a few letters to narrow your search.

Agree with everything you wrote. BTW if you press the search key and then "Music", you'll see an "Alphabet" icon at the bottom of the screen where you can jump backwards and forwards to find the artist you want; not ideal but it helps avoid scrolling page after page.

Agreed, but most if not all car stereos are like that. I still like my pioneer.

If you upgrade it may save you some cash if you get one with the standard 3.5mm and USB plugs for the iPod cable as Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood use the same cable. (verified by me.)