Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swapping/upgrading iPhone in model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, i can't find an answer to this. I'm upgrading my iPhone soon. Do i need to 'disconnect and forget' my current phone from my M3 totally before going ahead and connecting up the new iPhone? Then, is it just a case of pairing new phone via bluetooth and setting up new phone as a key? Never swapped phones before whilst driving a tesla. I appreciate this seems like a very basic question, but i can't find the answer anywhere. Lots on how to set up a brand new phone for the first time - but this is a swap.Thanks

You can have more than one phone paired as a key to your Tesla so there is no need to remove the old one before you pair another. Obviously you will want to unpair the old one before selling or getting rid of it. I would both remove it from the car and factory reset it (after disabling “Find My” and logging out of your iCloud account) before getting rid of it. The latter two steps fully remove it from your iCloud account freeing it up for the next owner.

You can have more than one phone paired as a key to your Tesla so there is no need to remove the old one before you pair another. Obviously you will want to unpair the old one before selling or getting rid of it. I would both remove it from the car and factory reset it (after disabling “Find My” and logging out of your iCloud account) before getting rid of it. The latter two steps fully remove it from your iCloud account freeing it up for the next owner.
Thanks for this - so I can pair new iPhone as a key before totally deleting old iPhone? I read somewhere I had to delete old phone entirely before doing this! Sounds all too easy then!! And I add it as a key via ‘locks’?

Thanks for this - so I can pair new iPhone as a key before totally deleting old iPhone? I read somewhere I had to delete old phone entirely before doing this! Sounds all too easy then!! And I add it as a key via ‘locks’?
We have 3 phones paired as keys with our cars, and whilst there may be a limit I suspect it would be many more than will ever present an issue for most situations. You will need an activated key card to authorise the phone which is done under “locks” I believe. It is quite easy. If you want to use Bluetooth from phone to car for audio and/or calls you also need to pair the Bluetooth as well but that is separate from setting the phone up as a key.

You will need to take 4 basic steps.

In your new phone (most people don't want to give up the key on their old phone until the new one is working)
Go into the app and setup a key. It will make you place the card key on the console. That enables your new phone as a key. You may want to name the key on the car's screen so you know what it what.
Go into the Bluetooth section and pair your phone with the car. Make sure that you note the new and old one. It can be advantageous to make sure that the new phone has a different name than the old one. That's done on the phone. Pairing Bluetooth will require action on both the app and the car's screens.

When happy, you should remove the old phone. Go into keys and remove the old phone as a key.
Go into Bluetooth devices and remove the old phone.

It tends to sometime take longer to read the steps than to actually do it.

You will need to take 4 basic steps.

In your new phone (most people don't want to give up the key on their old phone until the new one is working)
Go into the app and setup a key. It will make you place the card key on the console. That enables your new phone as a key. You may want to name the key on the car's screen so you know what it what.
Go into the Bluetooth section and pair your phone with the car. Make sure that you note the new and old one. It can be advantageous to make sure that the new phone has a different name than the old one. That's done on the phone. Pairing Bluetooth will require action on both the app and the car's screens.

When happy, you should remove the old phone. Go into keys and remove the old phone as a key.
Go into Bluetooth devices and remove the old phone.

It tends to sometime take longer to read the steps than to actually do it.
That’s very helpful. Thanks

Reactions: ewoodrick