Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 Upgraded Electronics (Alpine) Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's dock connector vs. Alpine. The Alpine is indeed the bluetooth connection.
I've had music playing over the dock connector just after I've turned the car on, and after 30-60 seconds, the BT syncs up and the iPhone decides to start playing over BT even though it's been playing out the dock. It displays the current iPod track even if I'm streaming Pandora. Hitting play/pause will stop Pandora and play the iPod. Putting the car into reverse and back will issue a play which causes Pandora to stop and then the the iPod starts playing. It doesn't always see that I have the iPhone connected.. and sometimes even when it does, it doesn't see there's a phone there. The overall experience is VERY buggy indeed. I may unpair the BT because I've not been able to make good use of it. People can't hear me over the hands-free when I'm over 30 MPH.
I often forget to plug the phone in before I get going and it's nearly impossible to connect it one-handed while driving. I'd love a dock that I could slide it into. It's very difficult to control the iPhone (e.g. Pandora, since you can't do it via the head unit) with it sitting all the way down there.

That's what I'm going to do as well. I've only made one call over bluetooth and the other person had a hard time understanding me (at highway speeds with a soft top).

The Alpine unit is a year old now I think. Do they ever release firmware or map updates? I haven't found anything online.

Last edited:
That's what I'm going to do as well. I've only made one call over bluetooth and the other person had a hard time understanding me (at highway speeds with a soft top).

The Alpine unit is a year old now I think. Do they ever release firmware or map updates? I haven't found anything online.

I haven't found anything either. It's also an OEM version of the INA-W900; not sure if firmware or maps for the INA-W900 would work on the IVA-NAV-10. It shows it's running version 1.0.0 -- always a bad sign :)

I haven't found anything either. It's also an OEM version of the INA-W900; not sure if firmware or maps for the INA-W900 would work on the IVA-NAV-10. It shows it's running version 1.0.0 -- always a bad sign :)
I agree. I finally found this
Software Update | INA-W900/BT Performance Enhancement Update V.1.001.000
on Alpine's website but that's for the INA-W900 you mentioned and is a windows.exe file. Nothing mentions map udates but a section of Alpine's website said:

Factory Navigation Support Information

For Honda, Acura, Chrysler navigation support, please contact NAVTEQ for any updates that may be available at (866) 462-8837

Tesla isn't listed but I just sent NAVTEQ an e-mail asking them about map updates for the IVA-NAV-10 and how we go about ordering them. The POIs are over a year old, at least, on the current map.

This still doesn't address getting current firmware updates for the IVA-NAV-10. I'll probably call Alpine since there is no way to e-mail tech support.

I called Alpine and they said the firmware for the INA-W900/BT above is the firmware we would want. I'm going to check with Tesla first before I attempt to update anything. Wouldn't want to fry my new stereo and have that not covered under warranty.

No problem. I heard back from NAVTEQ:

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Currently Tesla does utilize our map databases however we do not produce nor distribute discs for their systems at this time. For information please contact Tesla directly.

So I sent Tesla an e-mail asking them how they handle map updates.

Dave

I called Alpine and they said the firmware for the INA-W900/BT above is the firmware we would want. I'm going to check with Tesla first before I attempt to update anything. Wouldn't want to fry my new stereo and have that not covered under warranty.
Any update on this? I've had a few NAV lockups that require pressing the reset button on the front of the unit. When I say NAV lockups, what I mean is that the NAV menus will work, it will allow me to input destinations, etc and it will plot routes. But the map never updates with my position - even when driving it keeps me frozen at whatever location I was at when it froze.

This happened to my wife and I at night while trying to find a friend's house - before I knew about the reset button. We "used the force" along w/ iphone maps to get us there but it was annoying. I'd love it if there's a software update.

There is an unconfirmed map update for 2nd quarter 2011 but Tesla is still looking into whether they'll apply the firmware update or direct us to do it ourselves. I guess they're still looking into it.

I've had the NAV do that a few times as well. You just have to reset like you've done. It's a pretty crappy navigation system for $1400 retail. My $300 TomTom is much better.

Last edited:
Someone recommended getting a Jawbone ERA Headset since the bluetooth on the Alpine is basically non-functional for calls. I don't really make calls while driving but wanted the capability if needed. Does anyone know if the USB port will charge something like a headset since it'll be sitting there most of the time? I could always recharge it at home of course.

I heard back from my service person and he said they can now install the Alpine firmware update. I'm not sure what's included in the firmware (and don't think it'll fix the major user interface issues with it) but it's nice they're able to update it at least.

Is there a way to get it to not automatically start playing when an iPhone/iPod is connected and it's in USB mode? I've got over 2,000 songs on my iPhone and unless I preselect a playlist on my iphone (then connect it) it plays song 1 of 2000+ and it's a song I am starting to not like anymore.

Last edited:
I have a problem with my Alpine that seems to be getting worse. I mentioned it to the Tesla Ranger last time he was here (a couple weeks ago) and he couldn't find anything.

I find that the audio from the Alpine will drop out to nothing every-so-often and will be silent for 2 seconds. When it does happen, it happens close in time, like 5 times in 5 minutes, but then it wont do it for several hours. It is usually associated with either a bump or a rapid acceleration, but not always. It doesn't matter what the audio source is. I use both the digital radio and my iPhone on bluetooth.

Does anyone else have this problem? Sounds like a loose connection to me, but I can't pinpoint it.

It's just a song of the week from iTunes I downloaded previously and is first alphabetically. Every time I connect my iPhone, it automatically starts playing the first song on the iPhone. I'm going to rename a song I like with a character (!) or something before it so it pops up first and get rid of the other one.

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I have a problem with my Alpine that seems to be getting worse. I mentioned it to the Tesla Ranger last time he was here (a couple weeks ago) and he couldn't find anything.

I find that the audio from the Alpine will drop out to nothing every-so-often and will be silent for 2 seconds. When it does happen, it happens close in time, like 5 times in 5 minutes, but then it wont do it for several hours. It is usually associated with either a bump or a rapid acceleration, but not always. It doesn't matter what the audio source is. I use both the digital radio and my iPhone on bluetooth.

Does anyone else have this problem? Sounds like a loose connection to me, but I can't pinpoint it.

kgb - are you sure it's related to a bump or acceleration? My music will drop out for a second or two when an email/message comes in on my iPhone. It's annoying, but that's the cause (at least in my case).